Spyder Garage

Default My Evap canister delete - update

Hey all - About a month ago I posted a few questions about the evap canister and 02 sensor. I wanted to update incase anyone else was looking to do the evap mod.

2009 GS SE5 - I'm the 3rd owner. Which I purchased 3 yrs ago. 2nd owner did nothing but store it in his garage. Since I purchased the bike, I have added tires, brakes, Elka shocks, oil changes, KN air filter, Spyder attitude muffler and wrapped it. Y pipe gaskets and belt.

She was still sputtering so I figured I'd do throttle body hoses. After a little reading on this forum I found the evap canister removal mod. Plus a friend of mine who helps me with maintenance mentioned the 02 sensor.

So one day about a month ago, we took her apart, changed spark plugs, new 02 sensor, plugged up the purge valve with a bolt, removed the evap canister and vented from the fuel pump added a fuel filter then from the other side of the fuel filter added hose and vented that out the bottom of the bike, similar to how it was from evap canister. Also changed throttle body hose with something called tygon hose I think he picked up at ace hardware. its silcone-ish.

its my daily ride and I run it hard sometimes. no more gas smell, no more sputtering backfiring - maybe twice when downshifting its popped but nothing like it was before by backfiring and loosing power. Huge improvement!

I followed this video https://youtu.be/SKujdUHh4iM

At first we used a smaller fuel filter on the vent hose but I had a smell after riding a few times especially in the heat. So we upgraded that to the same silver metal fuel filter thats use on the bike.

Next time I have some plastic off - I'll take pics of the evap removal and add to this thread.

thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 GS SE5: Stage 2 Elka front shocks, BajaRon sway bar, K&N air filter, kuryakyn foot pegs, TricLED rear and front lights.

Spyder Garage

Thank You for the follow-up.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I have got to do mine soon!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Claire View Post
    Hey all - About a month ago I posted a few questions about the evap canister and 02 sensor. I wanted to update incase anyone else was looking to do the evap mod.

2009 GS SE5 - I'm the 3rd owner. Which I purchased 3 yrs ago. 2nd owner did nothing but store it in his garage. Since I purchased the bike, I have added tires, brakes, Elka shocks, oil changes, KN air filter, Spyder attitude muffler and wrapped it. Y pipe gaskets and belt.

She was still sputtering so I figured I'd do throttle body hoses. After a little reading on this forum I found the evap canister removal mod. Plus a friend of mine who helps me with maintenance mentioned the 02 sensor.

So one day about a month ago, we took her apart, changed spark plugs, new 02 sensor, plugged up the purge valve with a bolt, removed the evap canister and vented from the fuel pump added a fuel filter then from the other side of the fuel filter added hose and vented that out the bottom of the bike, similar to how it was from evap canister. Also changed throttle body hose with something called tygon hose I think he picked up at ace hardware. its silcone-ish.

its my daily ride and I run it hard sometimes. no more gas smell, no more sputtering backfiring - maybe twice when downshifting its popped but nothing like it was before by backfiring and loosing power. Huge improvement!

I followed this video https://youtu.be/SKujdUHh4iM

At first we used a smaller fuel filter on the vent hose but I had a smell after riding a few times especially in the heat. So we upgraded that to the same silver metal fuel filter thats use on the bike.

Next time I have some plastic off - I'll take pics of the evap removal and add to this thread.

thanks for reading!
    If you run the gas tank vent hose along the right frame rail out to just past mid rear fender. You will never get any fuel smell. If you run the vent hose down from the fuel tank, you will get raw fuel into the line and you will eventually start getting the smell again.

It is a bit more work to do it this way. But it's a One & Done.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I will need to do this.