Spyder Garage

Default Anyone used Redline Synthetic Oil? Any length of change improvements?

Have any of you used Redline Oil in any of your vehicles? 10w40 motorcycle oil specifically? What was you experience with length of change interval? Were you able to go longer? Thanks for your help

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you're still riding that 2012, and looking for a oil that you can ride longer than brp limits, I think for peace of mind you may need to do some home work and have your oil tested between changes to see how your choice is holding up and if you can stretch it out a little longer!! Myself I use the Amsoil Metric, and do not loose a bit of sleep stretching out to 5000! I trust Amsoil, use it in every thing I have, I know I am sticking a stick in the hornets nest and ready to get flamed by the masses on here, but that's how I feel!! Have I had it tested, no, should I, yes, it maybe able to go a little longer. waste of money using it, No!!! You know the old saying everyone has there own ideas, this is mine!! Good luck, if it's worked for you before, try it you may love it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it meets or exceeds the specs for motorcycles (wet clutches) try it for the 9300k miles BRP recommends. Have it tested ($15) and see what you get. You may like it. Look at it this way. It takes a very small amount of oil to have it tested. So you can suck out some oil at any time and send it in. It won't hurt a thing. A test costs less than or about what 2 quarts of oil costs. Very inexpensive, easy to do, and turnaround time is less than two weeks. I use Napa to test my oil, but there are several more to choose from.

Spyder Garage

Looking in the service manual it says change the oil every 9,300 miles or annually. Now I notice pegasus1300, you are living in Utah, like me. I think this is what some of my other motorcycle and car manufacturers call a "hostile environment" in their handbooks.

We live at 5,000 feet or thereabouts, so all our normally aspirated vehicles have to work a fair bit harder to produce the same level of power we would get at sea level, about 15% harder, for the same level of performance I think. Also, in winter we get quite cold with higher humidity levels and in the summer it gets pretty hot and dry with our cooling systems working especially hard in our frequent freeway traffic jams. Additionally, for many parts of Utah there is a lot of fine dust kicked up by the winds or being deposited from the rainfall, some of which does innevability get by the air filter and into the engine internals. If you are towing a trailer of course, this would also add even further to the stress on the engine and transmission. I ride two up most of the time and therefore I am pulling a higher than normal load, especially with luggage (well, mainly my wife's luggage).

Given that the winter tends to condense moisture into the oil, the summers really heat soak our engines, coupled with environment impacts like dust and altitude have, I would tend to reduce oil change intervals rather than trying to extend them.

Although BRP doesn't list separate service intervals for hostile environments in their handbook, over the past years having BMW and Triumph motorcycles along with Jaguar Land Rover cars and SUV's - they have all recommended oil changes for such environments as ours at about half the distance of that of the normal 10,000 miles. They seem to stick to the same service intervals or annual oil change requirements, but they suggest changing the oil and filter about twice as often from mileage requirements. I generally change the air filters too about twice as often, because of the fine particulate dust.

These are just my opinions of course, but so far I've not had any premature engine wear or oil related issues on any of the motorcycles or cars I have owned in the past 33 years of living in Utah, despite racking up quite high mileages on some of them.

I would love to reduce the financial cost and environmental impact of more frequent oil changes, but when other name brand vehicle manufacturers recommend more frequent changes for our hostile environment, I'm going to do the same for my Spyder under an abundance of caution.

YMMV of course.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2022 at 01:15 AM. Reason: asnd... ;-)
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

He's running a 2012 I believe guy's!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mikey, yes I am running a 2012 and my current change interval is a factory 4500 miles with Rotella T6. I don' need advice on what oil to run, I need information on Redline Oil. If I were to use this I would definately have it tested at 4500m to see how it was doing. IF.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    He's running a 2012 I believe guy's!
    Oooops, my mistake. Sorry.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

No worries. I reposted my spyder year for all to see. Thanks for trying. Maybe see you down here some time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Rotella doesn't make a T6 10W40 that I am aware of (5W40 and 15W40, Yes). Quicksilver does make a synthetic 10W40 and it is JASO MA2 rated. Amazon has gallon jugs. Rotella T6 is getting very hard to find, and when you do find it is over $40 a gallon.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Rotella doesn't make a T6 10W40 that I am aware of (5W40 and 15W40, Yes). Quicksilver does make a synthetic 10W40 and it is JASO MA2 rated. Amazon has gallon jugs. Rotella T6 is getting very hard to find, and when you do find it is over $40 a gallon.
    That's nice and thank you but I am not asking about Rotella. I have several gallons of it. I am asking about Redline. Aren't there any old Harley riders out there who used to use it or anybody who used it in something else?
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-25-2022 at 11:50 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Boutique Oils are something that I don't waste $ on. I have used Mobil 1 fully synthetic even in our air cooled racing BMW Boxers. Always available at Walmart. On one of the tight race tracks in California, our oiltemp was as hi as 350F, never the slightest oiling issues, Use it in everything I have and have been for as long as I can remember.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Paul, really hard to get a direct answer to your your question, invariably ya hear what every one else is using. Might pose the question over on a You Tube, I do know some Harley riders use it simply because those engines run so hot.

Spyder Garage

Yeah Bill that is for sure. Do you have a particular channel in mind?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't Paul, but l'll take a look today see l what's out there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's one I found Paul, there are others, just type in Red Line Oil in the You Tube search bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVSsd29T2TQ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    I have used Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Use it in everything I have and have been for as long as I can remember.
    Thread hijack. Are you talking regular Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I use the Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil in mine. Scroll down in the link for the specs.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...cing-4t-10w-40
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Thread hijack. Are you talking regular Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil?
    Regular Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Buy it in those 5 Qt Jugs, 4 jugs per case. The lowest prices have been Walmart on line delivered to the closest Walmart Store (in store pick up) with no shipping cost. Haven't bought any lately because I buy then 2 cases at a time and I generally always buy 15/50. Use it in all my motorcycles and ATV's. Even used it in my Diesel tractor when we lived out in the country out of Show Low, Az. Had a conversation with Mobil before using it in the tractor, AOK was their answer. Does not have friction modifiers meaning, can be used with a wet clutch.

Never saw any reason to ever use the more expensive "Motorcycle Oil".
    Last edited by old Timer; 05-28-2022 at 10:41 AM.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Does not have friction modifiers meaning, can be used with a wet clutch.
    Exactly what I was wondering. Thank you old Timer!

Apologies for the hijack Pegasus.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OldTimer, post #18, and the motor you now ride???? Seems a heavy viscosity for a CanAm.

Spyder Garage

I use only Red Line in my BMW motorcycle transmission and rear end (final drive), and when I had my various Harley's I only used Red Line in all three holes (engine, transmission and clutch). I've never done testing on it, so I can't say from a scientific standpoint how it performed. However, from a long-time rider and a former semi-professional mechanic I can say that it's definitely a superior product that gives good performance. Red Line transmission oil changed both the HD and BMW trannies into smooth shifting devices after being notchy and hard to shift.

I'm a fan and a believer in their products.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-30-2022 at 12:31 PM. Reason: can't ;-)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thank you. Did you find you could extend your oil change limits beyond the factory recommended limits?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Looks like you got a bite!!!! You better PM him and pump him with questions!! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl