Spyder Garage

Default Need Helmet Help. Considering HJC & GMax - any issues with either?

OK, Its time for a new helmet. Needs to be Modular with an internal sunshade, and capable of accepting a Sena 10 unit.
    I've narrowed my search to 2 modular helmets that I have been able to try wearing in the store (CycleGear).
    The HJC C91 and the GMax GM54S (XXL). Both are entry level helmets which is OK for me.
    The HJC is snug but will probably break-in with time.
    The GMax is tight at my forehead. Again maybe it will break-in.
    The GMax has a lot of fitment and repair parts available.
    Are there any known issues with either helmet in fit or function?
    Thank You for your insight.
    Last edited by Haze; 05-20-2022 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added clarification
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Snug = good. Tight = bad.
    Hard spots = bad....very bad, especially if on the forehead.
    I have both brands and both fit me well, but they did from the start. True, the padding loosens, but over a great length of time. Any tightness will result in headaches.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I am using an LS2. It has all you mentioned. Very sound chin guard that rotates all the way to the back of the helmet. Internal shades are a plus and easy to put down or up. Currently using a Sena intercom/headset.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully helpful (not restricted to any brand)https://youtu.be/Exjt5q9l1yU

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Just FYI, I measure 62cm, and needed a 4XL with the HJM i90. So at least for me, the size charts are WAY off.
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Choose the one that FITS PROPERLY. If it has pressure points (hot spots) now, it is the wrong shape for your head. Wear it around the shop for as long as possible before deciding. It may take a little time to notice the hot spots.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

A snug helmet will break in a bit. Tightness at the forehead MAY, but not likely and you will be miserable until/if it does go away. If the HJC fits better I would go that route plus HJC offers different thicknesses of padding to help tailor the helmet to your comfort needs.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Haze, I have an HJC C91 XL that I wore about 6 times. I also have 2 shoei helmets. I thought I would like the modular, but I don't. Here is a couple pics of the HJC.
    BTW, I usually wear Large but got an XL cus it fit better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Helmet pads, do slink a bit, but not much, snug is good, hotspots are bad, scorpion and shark have very different headshapes, I was in the market for a shark, just from reviews on the net, but when in the store, the shark did not fit good, bought a scorpion with the same specs, modular, sunshade, pinlock visor, suitable for comms, and am a very happy camper with them.

Just sayin, a helmet should fit from the gitgo, else the helmet will hurt the riding experience... Try diffrent brands, and see what fit's your head the best. Sounds like an of the shelf answer, but I know from experience, with 4 helmets not fitting coorectly... that are now expensive bookstoppers....

Some helmets are designed for oval heads, some for round heads, try and fit them all, the best helmet is the one you don't notice...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

When I purchased my Spyder 7 1/2 years ago I had a modular HJC in my budget. When I tried it on at the dealership it was an instant migraine. The best fit for me was a Shoei Neotec that fit like a glove. I wore it until last fall when it needed to be replaced. I went again to Shoei for a Neotec II that fit even better than and is quieter than the Neotec. While the Neotec II is manufactured for a complementary Sena device a lady at the dealership who specializes in installing comm systems in helmets moved my Sena 20S EVO to the new helmet at no charge and the placement and fit hit the bulls-eye. Yes, a Neotec II is substantially more than an HJC modular, but the cost of it meets the value I place in the contents of my coconut. If the helmet doesn't fit right off the bat, find one that does. Bring a very thin skull cap and plan to wear the helmet at the store for at least an hour. If they won't let you do that, find another store.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have the GMAX 54s and have really enjoyed it. I just ordered a new headliner as after a number of washings the padding at the forehead is no longer firm. I also put an internal fog shield on the visor that helped with fogging. The helmet flows air well and the detent lets me ride with the shield cracked open a tad to flow more. The helmet is fairly quiet at highway speed. I can hear my intercome/radio well. The helmet is a bit heavier than some others. I plan to get a couple more years from it before looking at what is available then. I've looked and honestly, haven't found anything in this pricepoint that I think I would want that is better. I did have to order a couple of the vent covers from them that broke (bad construction) but GMAX service was great and sent them out free of charge as the helmet was still under their warranty at that point. They sent more for future use if needed since I had to do that 2x with customer service. I have replaced the battery in my SENA Smh-10 and it still works as good as new, so not ready to swap that out either. Guess old gear for an old guy (63)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the input and advice.
    I'm still looking and considering other helmet options.
    David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I have an HJC i10 and an HJC i30 Slight. The i10 fits good in size 3XL but I have to put padding between the top liner and the shell so it sits better. The 2XL I had was a little tight in the forehead. The i30 is an XL but could have easily been a 2XL. The only modification I had to do was use a ballpeen on the forehead because like the i10, it was a little tight and gave me a headache after a while. Now it fits good.

Good luck if you're buying off the Internet. HJC's sizing chart was way off for my shape head.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I ended up buying a Scorpion EXO-GT930. I much prefer an open face helmet. But when you get up in to the 3XL, 4XL size range, there are very few choices available. I like the way I can remove the chin bar, but in my opinion, they screwed the pooch when they made it in such a way that you can not use the outer shield without the chin bar. It's designed to use its own custom EXO-COM com system, which also leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I never imagined how much of a problem finding a decent helmet for my huge melon was going to be. Takes me back to my first year of Pop warner football. The biggest helmet they had, I could barely even get on my head. But, the one thing this Scorpion has going for it is that it fits my head like it was custom made for me. I guess in a way it was, because I had to remove just a bit of foam in the back of the crown straps.

Good luck on your search!
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

This comment is nothing to do about fitment, and everything to do with safety.

The first modular helmet I ever bought was a GMAX. It was my third GMAX -- first a 'halfie,' then a 3/4, then the modular. (I got increasingly safety conscious as I learned to ride bigger and faster motorcycles.)

Once day, when the modular helmet was about 2 years old, I turned my head far to the side (looking at traffic at a stop sign), the chin bar collided a little with my shoulder. The modular front opened. I pulled over and stopped to secure it down again, and it wouldn't. I had done nothing at all to abuse the helmet, yet the modular securing mechanism quietly failed. I don't know how long I'd been riding in this helmet without knowing that such an important safety mechanism was kaput.

I junked the thing when I got home, and that was my last GMAX helmet.
    Last edited by Woodswoman; 05-22-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Sorry you had that experience... i have the 54s modular and the latching mechanism has never failed. It it were to, I'd toss it in the trash too. So far, this model of their helmet has been super dependable.

Spyder Garage

I had the latching mechanism fail on my Scorpion modular. I called the company and the immediately sent me a new front piece. I've had no problems with it since.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My HJC just started to have the rubber trim around the edge come apart. Only a couple of years old. Disappointed.
    Wife and I are both using G Max now for our sled helmets. Love them.