Spyder Garage

Default New tire - should I grease the front pulley at 26k?

I have to replace the rear tire with another Altimax RT. (Altimax currently has 19500 miles on her.) I have just over 25800 miles on the spyder. I’m supplying the tire and the dealer said he’d take the existing tire off, remove and grease front sprocket, mount tire and reassemble for $185 total. I figured since the tire is off it’s easier to let him do it. I’m guessing it would take me an hour and half to do the same job. There is “not” a spec of red dust. I’m pretty close to the 28k maintenance which I will do everything else myself. Should I let him do it or should I wait?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I have to replace the rear tire with another Altimax RT. (Altimax currently has 19500 miles on her.) I have just over 25800 miles on the spyder. I’m supplying the tire and the dealer said he’d take the existing tire off, remove and grease front sprocket, mount tire and reassemble for $185 total. I figured since the tire is off it’s easier to let him do it. I’m guessing it would take me an hour and half to do the same job. There is “not” a spec of red dust. I’m pretty close to the 28k maintenance which I will do everything else myself. Should I let him do it or should I wait?
    " grease front sprocket " ..... I don't have a clue what the dealer is talking about .... The RED DUST of Death wasn't occurring until a few years after the intro of the F-3 ..... I have a 14 RT w/ over 66,000 mi. and my front sprocket has no signs of the RDD issue ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Have greased bearings & another parts never heard of greasing sprockets, hopefully just some communication confusion. Maybe meant: inspect sprocket & grease bearings
    Inspect rear bearings at every tire change. Usually replace at every 3 tire, (usually).

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the wrong terms. He said front pulley not sprocket. The drive belt pulley mid left side. It’s a 2017 RT and black not the white one. He said Remove it, apply grease which I assume is Molly to the splines and reinstall. I live/travel on dirt road for 5 miles till first hardback and my bike is always dusty everywhere inside. He says its preventative maintenance at 28k but you’re right it’s not on the list and seems to be more prevalent to the F3. There is no evidence of failure so I’ll leave it go for now I guess. He said the main reason to remove and grease now is so if it was to fail, eventually it’s about impossible to remove without doing more damage because it’s rusted on.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 05-21-2022 at 06:03 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Sorry for the wrong terms. He said front pulley not sprocket. The drive belt pulley mid left side. It’s a 2017 RT and black not the white one. He said Remove it, apply grease which I assume is Molly to the splines and reinstall. I live/travel on dirt road for 5 miles till first hardback and my bike is always dusty everywhere inside. He says its preventative maintenance at 28k but you’re right it’s not on the list and seems to be more prevalent to the F3. There is no evidence of failure so I’ll leave it go for now I guess. He said the main reason to remove and grease now is so if it was to fail, eventually it’s about impossible to remove without doing more damage because it’s rusted on.
    You wrote " remove and GREASE front sprocket " !!!!! ...... I have concerns about your dealer's knowledge of what He's recommending you do ./.... If there ISN'T any Red Dust I would leave it alone - period. Preventative maintenance is what you do IF you see the Red Dust ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You wrote " remove and GREASE front sprocket " !!!!! ...... I have concerns about your dealer's knowledge of what He's recommending you do ./.... If there ISN'T any Red Dust I would leave it alone - period. Preventative maintenance is what you do IF you see the Red Dust ...... good luck ..... Mike
    with Mike. Unless there is a technical bulletin published for such a procedure I am unaware of because I don't follow that stuff, there is nothing in the '17 RT operator's guide maintenance schedule about greasing the front sprocket, or even removing it. I've 78K+ on mine and it's going strong untouched.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    with Mike. Unless there is a technical bulletin published for such a procedure I am unaware of because I don't follow that stuff, there is nothing in the '17 RT operator's guide maintenance schedule about greasing the front sprocket, or even removing it. I've 78K+ on mine and it's going strong untouched.
    Jay, same for me ..... I have a GREAT 14 RT , no red crap .... and I won't touch it ..... I don't know why this has become an issue .... the engineers at BRP are notorious ( ie. breaking ) for re-engineering things and not for the better ie. DESS modules ....JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The front sprocket on my 2016 RTL failed completely at 21,000, and was replaced by the original Dealer. It failed completely again at 32,000 miles because of a lousy job by Dealer. A different Dealer replaced it again under Warrantee. BRP granted it being covered under Warrantee both times, plus granted me an additional $250.00 Dealer Credit for my down time of Summer riding the 2nd failure. There were no more problems or failures with the sprocket up to 63,000 miles on the 2016 when I traded it in for my 2021 RTL.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " grease front sprocket " ..... I don't have a clue what the dealer is talking about .... The RED DUST of Death wasn't occurring until a few years after the intro of the F-3 ..... I have a 14 RT w/ over 66,000 mi. and my front sprocket has no signs of the RDD issue ..... good luck .... Mike
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze