Spyder Garage

Default P1616 fault code, Check Engine light - 2013 Can Am Spyder RS SE5

First post here. So thank you for the opportunity to become a part of this community and for the chance to ask for assistance with this new issue that popped up last night. I bought a 2013 Spyder RS SE5 about 3 months ago. It had 7800 miles on it when I bought it. I've ridden about 1500 miles or so since I got it with no issues. Last night I was headed out to ride and the check engine light came on as soon as I cranked it up. We did the fault code check and got P 1620 and P 1616. When I googled 1620 it came back to low coolant but I'm having trouble finding what P1616 is. There was a PDF list of codes in another forum but that one wasn't in the list. I rode it about 20 minutes around town and covered all gears and speeds up to 65 with no issues. We checked the battery connections, fluids, fuel and every dang thing else we can think of. Have any of you run across this or does anyone know what this fault code really means?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Denley. First, a little bit about codes, while the Spyder sometimes uses the standard OBD-II codes, it also uses vehicle / manufacturers specific codes. You can tell the difference - if the first digit is a number 1, that is a vehicle / manufacturer specific code. You won't find the answer in Google unless it comes out of this forum. If the first digit is a number 0, that is a standardized code. Bottom line, you don't have a problem with coolant level. There's no sensor for that.

What you DO have is a problem with the throttle body shaft or linkage, and/or the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

P1616 has to do with the mechanical idle stop of the throttle plates not being where the computer thinks it should be, based on the signal coming from the TPS. That can be a TPS issue, or also mechanical binding or wear of the butterfly valve shaft.

P1620 has to do with an adaptation failure of the TPS itself, where either the TPS or throttle body was replaced, and the adaptation wasn't performed. (if that was the case though, it could have appeared before now) That requires an attempt at running the Reset (adaptation) with BUDS software. Also can be a sign of pending failure of the TPS.

So first, you can keep riding and see if this was just a spurious event that can correct itself with more use. Don’t be gentle with it. I wouldn't go on a cross country trip just yet, though. Give it a couple of operating cycles to see if the light clears on its own. If it doesn't, you could go to a dealer and have them do the TPS Reset with BUDS to see if that's all you need for a permanent fix. It won't be free, but it's quick once they can get you in.

If that's not successful, or without BUDS software to attempt the Reset, about the best you can do on your own is try to find the smoking gun. Unplug the TPS connector and spray it out with electrical contact cleaner. Let dry and re-connect. You should also do a throttle body cleaning - you just need to clean the shaft where it passes through the bushings so that it turns easily. The 998 engine can blow some oil up into the airbox and gum things up royally. You don't know how it was treated in its previous life. Use some compressed air to blow out the linkage in between the throttle body and the actuator motor. Check if anything is interfering with the linkage or mechanical stop, such as dirt or critter nest. Make sure that area is nice and clean and look around for any wire damage. It's a 9 year old machine with low mileage. There's a chance that this is all you'll need. It seems to be running fine, otherwise.

The TPS is located on the rear of the throttle body assembly, the actuator and associated linkage on the front. You'll be removing some intake box and ductwork to get to it all. If you are satisfied that it's not a mechanical issue with the throttle body, then the TPS will need replaced. Replacing the TPS will require the TPS Reset procedure to be performed with the BUDS software. Either a dealer or private individual with the software near you could do that. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-20-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

There was a recall years back on the throttle bodies of the 998's. We had ours replaced under warranty as we were getting a code. Before we had it replaced we would turn the bike off, pull the key and do the hooky poky and the code would stay off for a week or so. This continued until the throttle body was replaced. Haven't had any issues with it since. BRP first tried to fix the issue with a software update but that was a short lived band aid. They then replaced the throttle body.

Here is a link that I believe might help.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=throttle+body
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 05-20-2022 at 02:25 PM.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your reply Snowbelt Spyder. I'll update with what we come up with. This at least gives us a direction to go in. I appreciate the information.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2022 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Username

Spyder Garage

Thanks for replying M109Dreamer. We tried the walk away trick and the light was still on this morning. I've saved the PDF you sent the link for so we have some directions. Thanks. I'll update when I can.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2022 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Username

Spyder Garage

QUICK UPDATE: It's under dealer warranty so I'm going to just take it on to the shop tomorrow and let them deal with it. Especially only being 3 months in since purchase. Kinda wishing I hadn't bought it at all. This shop stays backed up so the likelihood of me having the bike back to ride this summer is SLIM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by denley01 View Post
    First post here. So thank you for the opportunity to become a part of this community and for the chance to ask for assistance with this new issue that popped up last night. I bought a 2013 Spyder RS SE5 about 3 months ago. It had 7800 miles on it when I bought it. I've ridden about 1500 miles or so since I got it with no issues. Last night I was headed out to ride and the check engine light came on as soon as I cranked it up. We did the fault code check and got P 1620 and P 1616. When I googled 1620 it came back to low coolant but I'm having trouble finding what P1616 is. There was a PDF list of codes in another forum but that one wasn't in the list. I rode it about 20 minutes around town and covered all gears and speeds up to 65 with no issues. We checked the battery connections, fluids, fuel and every dang thing else we can think of. Have any of you run across this or does anyone know what this fault code really means?
    I had an 08 GS that showed CODES most of the time I had it ..... since the bike ran fine I just ignored them ..... good luck .... Mike ..... PS only one " limp home " code and the next day after it cooled down I never saw that again ....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-21-2022 at 05:57 PM. Reason: thsat = that