Spyder Garage

Default Engine Oil - What Amsoil products are you using?

I’m planning to buy a 2022 Spyder RT in the near future (if I can find one!). I have some Amsoil 10w40 “MCF” left over that I used in my BMW K1600 GTL (just sold). I looked up an on line manual for the RT and it said this:

Recommended Engine Oil - The same oil is used for the engine, gearbox, clutch, and the HCM in the SE5 model. Use the XPS SYNTHETIC BLEND OIL (SUMMER GRADE) (P/N 293 600 121) or a 5W40 semi-synthetic (minimum) or synthetic motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container. NOTICE clutch, do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification. Clutch slippage will occur.

This Amsoil I have left has an SM designation, so looks like I should not use it. (Assuming I found the right manual)

What are you using for Amsoil products?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2022 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added spaces between words & briefly stated question in title

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amsoil 10w40 Metric Motorcycle oil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Amsoil 10w40 Metric Motorcycle oil.
    Been using 20/50 Amsoil V-Twin works great

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good choice.

Spyder Garage

Amsoil 10/40 metric motorcycle oil. This was given to me, therefore I will use. I have in the past used Rotella T6 in my rides.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

If you care for your clutch, do not use the amsoil with SM spec, it has to jaso m2 spec or above, You will loose money, if you use the SM spec oil...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

The 10w40 Amsoil metric oil "MCF" has the API SM rating and Can Am says not to use that - so that is why I was wondering what to use. Is this warning about not using "SM" rated oils something that Can Am has recently added to the owners manuals??

These are the Amsoil specs for MCF:
    "Use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil in
    Can-Am,* Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW,* Triumph*
    and other motorcycles where 10W-40 motorcycle oil is required.
    Recommended for transmissions requiring an API GL-1 fluid.
    Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil
    is required.
    API SM, JASO MA/MA2"

However it looks like Amsoil "AMO" 10w40 meets the required specs: "API SL, SJ, SH, SG, JASO MA "- and does not include the SM rating.

Spyder Garage

Here's a pic of the label off the Amsoil I am using.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bangorbob; 05-20-2022 at 12:37 PM.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Here is the story on SM rated oils and the reason BRP does not recommend them for the SM5 and SE5 model Spyders.

SM means there have been some Friction Modifiers added to the oil. Not all friction modifiers which will earn the SM rating will cause clutch slippage in the SM5/SE5 Spyders. Rather than try to figure out which ones will and which ones won't. They just added the SM disclaimer and warning.

Here is the current data sheet information on the 10/40 Amsoil that I use in my SM5 and have been recommending for a lot of years.

Use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil in
    is required.
    API SM, JASO MA/MA2

There was a time that I advised customers to steer clear of SM rated oils because I didn't want to be responsible for verifying which ones were good and which ones weren't. Amsoil's MCF oils were not SM rated for quite some time. But a few years ago they added this rating.

The bottom line is no longer the SM rating because I can verify that Amsoil MCF oils work fantastically in all Spyder models and years. What you want to look for is the JASO rating of MA2. If it has that rating, the SM component is not significant and will not cause your clutch to slip. While the SM Friction Modifiers can cover an assortment of additives. The JASO rating is Wet Clutch Friction Specific. MA2 is the highest clutch friction rating. Your clutch will not slip with this oil unless there is something wrong with your clutch.

I do not recommend 20-50 for most Spyder owners. It's not that the 20-50 is bad or will hurt your Spyder. It is that I think the 10-40 is a better weight combination for most owners. I do have customers in hot places like Las Vegas running 20-50 and are very happy. For the most part. Amsoil's 10-40 is a good weight. In my opinion, a better weight than the 5-40 recommended by BRP.

If someone wants to know WHY I like the 10-40 as opposed to other weights, I can bore you with that information as well!

Hope this helps clear things up.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-20-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That is great info!! Thanks very much.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RealWing View Post
    That is great info!! Thanks very much.
    Jim
    If it does not have the MA2 JASO rating. Do not use it in a Spyder of any kind. Regardless of what other attributes the lubricant may have. This will definitely help to keep you out of trouble. It can get confusing. But don't let that stop you from finding a superior, and many times less expensive, oil. A little research can go a long way.

Anecdotal testimonies are fine. They can lead you in the right direction. But don't ever stop there. Take a look under the hood, so to speak, so that you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2022 at 07:49 PM. Reason: our = out ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Correct Oil

...The Correct Engine Oil will save you Money and Time. Live and Learn about the Correct Engine Oil.
    Remember the 'Pay me now or Pay me later'?
    Still applicable Today. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2022 owners manual says SM oil is rated for use in Spyder RTL!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Here is the story on SM rated oils and the reason BRP does not recommend them for the SM5 and SE5 model Spyders.

SM means there have been some Friction Modifiers added to the oil. Not all friction modifiers which will earn the SM rating will cause clutch slippage in the SM5/SE5 Spyders. Rather than try to figure out which ones will and which ones won't. They just added the SM disclaimer and warning.

Here is the current data sheet information on the 10/40 Amsoil that I use in my SM5 and have been recommending for a lot of years.

Use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil in
    is required.
    API SM, JASO MA/MA2

There was a time that I advised customers to steer clear of SM rated oils because I didn't want to be responsible for verifying which ones were good and which ones weren't. Amsoil's MCF oils were not SM rated for quite some time. But a few years ago they added this rating.

The bottom line is no longer the SM rating because I can verify that Amsoil MCF oils work fantastically in all Spyder models and years. What you want to look for is the JASO rating of MA2. If it has that rating, the SM component is not significant and will not cause your clutch to slip. While the SM Friction Modifiers can cover an assortment of additives. The JASO rating is Wet Clutch Friction Specific. MA2 is the highest clutch friction rating. Your clutch will not slip with this oil unless there is something wrong with your clutch.

I do not recommend 20-50 for most Spyder owners. It's not that the 20-50 is bad or will hurt your Spyder. It is that I think the 10-40 is a better weight combination for most owners. I do have customers in hot places like Las Vegas running 20-50 and are very happy. For the most part. Amsoil's 10-40 is a good weight. In my opinion, a better weight than the 5-40 recommended by BRP.

If someone wants to know WHY I like the 10-40 as opposed to other weights, I can bore you with that information as well!

Hope this helps clear things up.
    I personally would love to hear about why you prefer the 10w-40 over the other weight oil. I am new to the spyders and am attempting to soak in as much information that is available.
    2020 RTL , Chalk metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster58 View Post
    I personally would love to hear about why you prefer the 10w-40 over the other weight oil. I am new to the spyders and am attempting to soak in as much information that is available.
    The low number is the viscosity at cold start-up. The high number is the viscosity at operating temperature. The greater the spread between these 2 numbers, the easier and quicker the oil will deteriorate. This is one reason I prefer the 10/40.

10 weight is good down to zero degree starts. If your Spyder is getting colder than this, then I would consider a 5 weight. But if it isn't, the 10 weight is a better fit for the Spyder. Now a snowmobile is going to need 5 or even 0 weight after sitting out in sub-zero temps and then being started. That's why BRP has such thin oils. They have to work for everything they sell as they don't carry very many options anymore.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to change my Amsoil 10/40 at 10k miles this time and then send it for analysis and compare it to the previous analysis. This coming oil change will be at 60k. We'll see if it breaks down at 10k any more than it does at 9,300 miles. The oil level has not changed in 9,300 miles and it has not changed color.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 02:04 AM. Reason: brake - break

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Samples

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I'm going to change my Amsoil 10/40 at 10k miles this time and then send it for analysis and compare it to the previous analysis. This coming oil change will be at 60k. We'll see if it breaks down at 10k any more than it does at 9,300 miles. The oil level has not changed in 9,300 miles and it has not changed color.
    I will wait for your oil change/sample report. The 9,300 miles is a interesting number. I have been doing the 9,000 miles oil change/sample. It would be great to know why BRP choose the 9,300.
    Only BRP is going to have all the answers, but they never like to tell. Or will they now?
    Many Spyder Owners are waiting to hear.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I will wait for your oil change/sample report. The 9,300 miles is a interesting number. I have been doing the 9,000 miles oil change/sample. It would be great to know why BRP choose the 9,300.
    Only BRP is going to have all the answers, but they never like to tell. Or will they now?
    Many Spyder Owners are waiting to hear.
    I have a number of customers who regularly go 10K on an Amsoil service. Testing shows no real difference between a 9,300 mile and 10k service interval. Testing has shown that typically, BRP's blended oil goes to 20 weight between 5,000 amd 5.500 miles.