Spyder Garage

Default How do you clean flat paint?

Well my 22 Sea to sky is here, rode it home in the rain and now she looks like a drowned rat. I have water spots all over it. How do I clean flat paint without damaging it. I have never owned anything flat so I have no idea what I am doing and sure don't want to destroy anything. How do you clean and maintain it? What do you use? Thanks guys

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Clean up the Spyder

....Welcome, I have tried to stay away from ryding in the rain if possible. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
    I usually do a soft towel wipe down after I get inside my garage. If you have any mud or dirt on your Spyder wash it with a garden hose. What ever you decide to do, go slowly and be gentle with your Spyder.

Always made my Spyder look like new. It's a labor of love and energy that gets the job done. Enjoy your time and miles on your Spyder. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

@rgus - Thank you!! I am in the same situation, never having cared for satin/matte/flat paint beofre. I have a bottle of Black Dymond Matte Magic coming from LaMonster. I'll report back on that once I get it. I have heard that we shouldn't use regular wash solutions either. I have some more research to do, but will be following here for sure, as we have a lot of knowledge on these forums!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

soap and water no wax i also use that matte magic

Spyder Garage

After cleaning and when its dry, spray some silicone and lay it off with a cloth.

Spyder Garage

I would not recommend applying ANY formula if wax, sealant or shine enhancer to the paint. Your just going to ruin the finish. I would only wash the bike with a mild car wash soap and dry it carefully. You don’t want to burnish the finish and create a shiny spot. I be owned a new Chevy truck back in 1982 when I was 18 years old that had a combination of shiny black and satin black paint. I had to be careful to keep polish off the satin finish and learned a lot. Shiny black needed special care constantly to look good. The satin paint wanted nothing to do with me other than a wash and dry.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Wash and wax vehicle mix from Walmart, Then dry with soft rag. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Then for flat plastic, sounds weird, but I use spray tire foam. It makes it super black. Let it dry a couple hours and good to go! For shiny I buff with pledge.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

My former Spyder had the matte finish. I used nothing but water and micro-fiber cloths. No soaps, no waxes, no chemicals at all. I kept distilled water in a spray bottle and cleaned the bike between each ride. A couple times a year it got a good heavy cleaning with a hose and brush. After which, I followed up with a spray and wipe down using the distilled spray. Saved a lot of money by not chasing magical cleaners for that kind of finish. The Spyder looked as good as new when I sold it at 5 years old.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I pressure wash my spyder, in a selfcarwash, first shampoo it, then I wax it, then i rinse with osmosiswater, then I drive it to my garage, and use a leafblower, to blow it dry, and this works flawless.
    Must say, that this carwash, uses premium fluids, my f3s is now 2yrs old, and the matte is still matt, and the black shiny bits, are still shiny.

But now I saw some hairline scratches, on the shiny bits, so me thinks, that I am going to a proffesional cleaner....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Maguires Ultimate car wash in the shade followed up towel dry. Do not wipe dry the windshield. I blot dry only.