Spyder Garage

Default RSS owner asking F3 owners - is there any heat off the engine onto your right foot?

My RSS is a 2012 and is very hot at the right foot. I am looking at a 2021 f3 and was wondering if there is any heat off of the engine that is unbearable like the RSS? Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Not an F3 owner, but I've ridden quite a few quite some miles, yet I still own & by preference ryde a 2013 RT with the V-Twin motor. So this is a somewhat educated comment - that 'heat on your right foot' thing is a feature that is pretty much restricted to the V-Twin powered Spyders, especially those made from 2013 & on!

So if you're looking at moving from your 2012 RSS with the V-Twin motor across to a newer F3 with the 1330 Triple cylinder motor, the heat blown on your right foot willbe nowhere near as much from the 1330! It's lessened a fair bit by the motor design & orientation in the frame, and even more by a reversal of the Fan Motors blowing air thru each of the 2 radiators as you slow down - I can't remember what the speed triggering this change of direction actually is (maybe someone else here can help? ) but the fans suck/blow air out towards your feet while you are travelling at speed, when there's lots of air flow pushing thru & back fairly quickly to disperse any heat on your foot/feet fairly rapidly; but as you slow down those fans reverse direction & suck/blow air IN from down around your feet & forcibly push it out the front - all part of the features included in the 1330 triple cyl Spyders to ensure that they didn't have anywhere near the same heat issues as the 2013 & on V-Twins, and to a lesser extent/in varying degrees, all the earlier V-Twin engined Spyders too, like your 2012 RSS (hey, didja catch the pun there?? ... varying Degrees... degrees... Ha! )

Cheers!

Ps: welcome to posting on the Forum! Looking forward to seeing more from you in the coming months/years.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

As an RS owner who's gone to an F3, no there's not. I've not noticed any engine heat at all on the F3.

In fact on cold days putting my hands on the bodywork when stopped no longer warms them like it would on the RS, fortunately my F3 has got heated grips.

I have found myself warmer on the F3 on hot days. That's just because I've now got a 2017 F3L that the previous owner fitted a big screen to so I'm not sitting in the wind like I was on the RS making the vents on my jacket less effective. When its raining or cold that of course is a definite benefit.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 05-18-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Further to that I'd say the F3 is a more refined ride than the RS.

Riding wise its better to ride in town/heavy traffic as the RS always felt like it was straining to race while the F3 is happy to go with the flow and is very stable. This is a little bit of the F3's downside as well because the RS is definitely faster to respond to throttle input and more agile overall. The F3 isn't quite as much fun as an RS in the twisties but pretty much better every where else.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Spyder Garage

I traded my 2009 GS with 35,000 miles for my 2015 F3 sm6 and it runs perfect at 23,000 miles with same front sprocket. F3 IMHO Way better in All aspects to my GS.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

If you get an F3 consider a Cat Delete Pipe.
    It eliminates a great part of the air flow restriction generating material under the bike.
    Free flow of air minimizes the foot heating.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Cannot compare, between the two, I only have ridden an F3s, but after my catdelete, and mounting an akropovic exhaust, the heat at the right foot seems a little bit higher, not so much that it bothers me, but it was a noticable difference.
    As far as the GS is better in the twisties, I beg to differ that.... )
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    As far as the GS is better in the twisties, I beg to differ that.... )
    F3 is about 15 minutes slower on my favourite 'just popping out' route, mind you that route is 667km long and involves both Lewis and Arthurs Passes across the Southern Alps:-)

2022-05-19_23-02-03.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My second spyder was a 2012 RSS (first was a 2014 RT). I loved the bike because it gave me the feel of riding a sport bike, but the confidence of 3 wheels. Yes, I sold the RT and traded the RSS for a 2016 F3T. The heat on the RSS was a deciding factor for me. There is nothing like that kind of heat coming out on the F3T. I will say that the RSS felt faster. But when I got a chance to actually run someone who had a RSS, the F3T definitely was faster. I now have a 2016 F3 Limited and love it. It is just like the F3T, but with extras. The 2016 year did not come with the top box, but it did come with the larger rear sprocket like on the current F3S. That makes a bit of difference, and it is also easier to check the rear tire pressure. My wife now has a 2016 F3T as well, so we both have the best of both worlds. (side note, I sold my F3T and got the limited after she chose to get the same color as I had previously)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Had a GS and a RS in AK. Did not notice any heat from either. Now have two F3L's. No heat noticable either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red