Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Saw that, also in Motorcyclist for an MC Commute:

He calls it twitchy, I think that is what everyone goes through coming from 2 wheels. Agree with some of his comments, others eh. Some things like the parking brake take a second to engage, it's mechanical after all. Says it is so much better than the early 2 cyl versions. Guess I'll have to test drive one some day, but I'm fine with my old 2010 RT.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

A good write up in Rider. I also liked the Indian Pursuit review. Unfortunately, I can no longer support a 925 pounder with my feet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Good write up indeed!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

The reviewer on on MC Commute doesn't know how to drive a Spyder. He must be a crotch-rocket driver by the way he drives and the high revs all the time. But that's just my old guy perspective.

The Rider Magazine article is very good. But they forgot to mention anything about "old weirdoes"
    Last edited by GFrog; 05-18-2022 at 06:35 PM.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

They should have reviewed the F3S not the full boat version.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gave up on that magazine. That's probably the most ink they have ever given the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Gave up on that magazine. That's probably the most ink they have ever given the Spyder.
    The magazine usually does a write up on "new" models that are introduced. Spyder has been pretty much same old, same old, except for new colors and the Ryker intro a few years back. The "re-design" is most likely the reason for the review write up.

Since changing hands, the magazine has seemed to go down a bit, from what it was. Noticeable were the fewer pages and ads. This issue seems to be the best so far under the new regime. My subscription goes to June of 2025...will I renew??? Depends. Been a subscriber since it first came out. The magazine has cost me Thousands over the years. To many times, I said, I want me one of those. And...I did.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

'20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Interesting that the TESTER thinks Spyders shift into NEUTRAL when stopped Spyders ( w/ semi-auto ) do exactly what your auto / trk does with an Auto trans ..... but WE know this ..... Spyders also don't have Air Shocks, the Air Bag is a support device IMHO , He thinks Early Spyders had " hand brakes " AND Foot brakes .... My 08 GS nor my 12 RSS had them ...It's un-fortunate that couldn't find a Spyder Owner to consult with before committing to Print an article .. JMHO of course .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-19-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yup! Remember the reviews when the Spyders first came out. It was obvious that the reviewers did not have a clue. I also had a 08 GS SM5.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Honestly, I *believe* that Spyders will increase in popularity as fuel prices continue to skyrocket out of control.

Which could be a good thing, or a bad thing. I kind of like having a unique vehicle to tool around in, because I don't see many Can-Ams in my neck of the woods.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Honestly, I *believe* that Spyders will increase in popularity as fuel prices continue to skyrocket out of control.

Which could be a good thing, or a bad thing. I kind of like having a unique vehicle to tool around in, because I don't see many Can-Ams in my neck of the woods.
    You'll see a few more on Sunday when we go up to Lake Tahoe with a few from Battleborn Spyders. Nova and I rode last Wed and I got 39.999 MPG

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    You'll see a few more on Sunday when we go up to Lake Tahoe with a few from Battleborn Spyders. Nova and I rode last Wed and I got 39.999 MPG

Lew L
    Awesome, can't wait !!

It's still mind-boggling to see so few Spyders in Reno/Sparks. I can count the number of the ones I see in a week with the fingers of one hand.

And sometimes, I don't see any at all.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

When I go out for weekend rides, I usually see one or two, thats if there are lots of bikes out taking advantage of the nice day. Around here it's mostly HD and cruisers in general.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post

He calls it twitchy, I think that is what everyone goes through coming from 2 wheels. Agree with some of his comments, others eh. Some things like the parking brake take a second to engage, it's mechanical after all. Says it is so much better than the early 2 cyl versions. Guess I'll have to test drive one some day, but I'm fine with my old 2010 RT.
    Narrator seemed very whiny like a 10 yr old child when complaining. Yes, the Right dash font for various functions are too small to be read while driving...duh...you're suppose to set them up before driving or a long red light.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2022 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post

I have a 2012 and I rode a 2017. I do not get the fascination with the 3 cylinders. Nice engine to be sure, but so is the 2 cylinder. To each his own, I guess. I would not pay a lot of money to "upgrade" because of the engine. I'm sure they have made some other improvements in 10 years, however.
    Your mileage may vary.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yup! Remember the reviews when the Spyders first came out. It was obvious that the reviewers did not have a clue. I also had a 08 GS SM5.
    They were not even accurate. Sent a letter to them, never even the courtesy of a reply or any corrections.