Spyder Garage

Default 2nd oil change, 9300 miles or 1 year

Hello all. I need some advice. Because of some surgery, I was not able to ride much in the last year but am ready to go now. I only put on 1000 miles in the last year. The owners manual says oil changes at 9300 mile intervals or 1 year. How serious is that 1 year mark? Is the mileage or time period more of the governing factor? Lastly, if this happens again, would synthetic oil allow for longer periods between oil changes if my mileage stays low? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2022 at 12:07 AM. Reason: advice ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the milage. Don't worry about time. That's just so they can sell more oil. Your oil is not going to become contaminated or go bad. Not to worry, you're good. Ride happy and stay safe.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

....Well, I go with oil samples on my Spyder engine oil.
    So far all my oil changes have been made in one year.
    Then again I would not have a problem with going 9200/9300 oil miles. I would go with 9300 miles and or 2 years.
    I always do an oil sample.
    My 2 cents. ........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The only potential "gotcha" in not following the manufacturer's recommended service intervals is if something fails and one attempts to get warranty repairs one better have deeper pockets than BRP. Other than that you'll probably be all right. I've routinely run > 9,300/yr. before the pandemic but since it hit I've run only about 6K/yr. so I 've changed it annually in Jan because I ride year round.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Hello all. I need some advice. Because of some surgery, I was not able to ride much in the last year but am ready to go now. I only put on 1000 miles in the last year. The owners manual says oil changes at 9300 mile intervals or 1 year. How serious is that 1 year mark? Is the mileage or time period more of the governing factor? Lastly, if this happens again, would synthetic oil allow for longer periods between oil changes if my mileage stays low? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    For my answer read these two threads.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...een+check+mark

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...een+check+mark

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What is year is your spyder?

The spyders with the 1330 engines ( which are from 2014 and up) usually require the oil change every 9300 miles or at 1 year intervals.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT Limited. This is really good stuff. I think I will make it through this riding season and change it in the late Fall. I still think I will be under 9300 miles but approaching 2 years by then. Thanks all. You saved me $300.

Spyder Garage

Just my 2 cents worth and without any redeeming other value. I change the oil when I put the Spyder up for the winter whether it is 9000 miles or 200 miles. I do this because I believe(without any oil testing) that the oil deteriorates due to collected moisture from engine operation and that deterioration includes moisture which can cause internal rusting. Oil doesn't cost that much and engines do so I just change the oil anyway. Many may disagree and I'm fine with that but I will continue that practice regardless. That is one of the reasons that I cringe when I see posters indicate that they start their engines over the winter from time to time and run them for 10 to 30 minutes since that runs the risk of contamination of the new oil. Short of a spirited 100 mile or more ride there is no way to get the oil hot enough to evaporate any accumulated moisture from a 30 minute idle in the garage. Battery tender keeps the battery in condition and there is no remaining reason to start the engine unless you are going to ride.
    Last edited by Bartender; 05-19-2022 at 02:32 PM.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth and without any redeeming other value. I change the oil when I put the Spyder up for the winter whether it is 9000 miles or 200 miles. I do this because I believe(without any oil testing) that the oil deteriorates due to collected moisture from engine operation and that deterioration includes moisture which can cause internal rusting. Oil doesn't cost that much and engines do so I just change the oil anyway. Many may disagree and I'm fine with that but I will continue that practice regardless. That is one of the reasons that I cringe when I see posters indicate that they start their engines over the winter from time to time and run them for 10 to 30 minutes since that runs the risk of contamination of the new oil. Short of a spirited 100 mile or more ride there is no way to get the oil hot enough to evaporate any accumulated moisture from a 30 minute idle in the garage. Battery tender keeps the battery in condition and there is no remaining reason to start the engine unless you are going to ride.
    Bartender,

That is a good idea to change the oil before you put your spyder into (Hibernation) storage for the winter months.

Also, that is good idea to put your spyder on a battery tender/maintainer during the winter months.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Changes

.....Best to do what BRP says in your owners manual. You can get a copy online. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT Limited. This is really good stuff. I think I will make it through this riding season and change it in the late Fall. I still think I will be under 9300 miles but approaching 2 years by then. Thanks all. You saved me $300.
    You didn't mention the year of your spyder in your opening post. If you are still in the BRP warranty period, follow the owner's manual. Don't void your warranty.