Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Spyder RT Stuck in Gear!! Any ideas!!??

2010 Spyder Rt audio and convenience SE5.
    Last year, maybe once a month, it would stick in 1st gear when at a stop. I would let it downshift by itself. To fix it I would turn the ignition off, take the key out, and wait 30 seconds; then I would drive away with no further problem.

Now this year every time I ride it happens, but it's strange. In the morning ride to work It works perfectly. I can ride it to work, sit in the parking lot, and shift from 1st to neutral, to 1st to neutral, to reverse, all with NO problem on 40 degree mornings or colder. BUT, when I ride home, same route, every night when I pull into the garage it sticks in 1st! I can't get into neutral. Also, "Check Transmission" light flashes off and on.

We were on a 3 hour run a couple of weeks ago and it happened one time. I was sitting at a stop sign waiting on the other riders to catch up and we discussed where to ride next. Then when I pulled away it wouldn't upshift out of 1st. Stopped, shut off the engine, removed the key, and rode the rest of the run with no more problems.

NOW, last week while riding home from work, I noticed the tachometer only registering about half as many rpms as what I was actually running. But this morning, the tachometer worked perfectly, and when I got to work I sat there shifting gears 10 times - 1st, neutral, 1st, neutral, reverse, neutral, and had NO problems!

So on the way home tonight, I stopped at a store, no problem; stopped at red lights, no problem; until I was almost home (I needed gas) when it downshifted into 2nd gear and stuck there. I got gas and pulled out, 1st gear, 2nd gear, then a red light; and when I pulled away from the red light it wouldn't shift, it was stuck in 1st! Oh, and also the tachometer was reading nothing, it showed zero revs all the way home!

Every time it does this, "Check transmission" light flashes. The oil level is good, recently serviced for this year. I don't think it is the paddle shifter?? It doesn't occur with the paddle shifter, it seems like it occurs only when "hot" and at full operating temperature.

I'm open for ideas from knowledgeable Spyder owners.

I have spoken to two different Service managers at two different Spyder dealers that have been in business a long time, and they were both stumped!! I'm getting ready to take it in to see if they can determine the cause of the problem. Oh, and also, last year when it was occurring, I had the one dealer hook up their computer but there were NO fault codes present.

Thanks. I like my Spyder but I'm sick of the problems. I'm thinking I'll fix it and sell it and go back to a Harley....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2022 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Title Clarified + some sentences...

Spyder Garage

Tac staying at zero very well related problem - the SE5 will not shift below 2k RPM. Dealer should have caught this & code or not the check transmission should been in buds history. Can you engage a digital tac? Not sure what years have both. Other possibilities if have some wrong oil some how. Viscosity at temps would cause these problems. Maybe worth just getting changed & samples of current oil sent for testing

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Tac staying at zero very well related problem - the SE5 will not shift below 2k RPM. Dealer should have caught this & code or not the check transmission should been in buds history. Can you engage a digital tac? Not sure what years have both. Other possibilities if have some wrong oil some how. Viscosity at temps would cause these problems. Maybe worth just getting changed & samples of current oil sent for testing
    New BRP oil kit used for recent oil change maybe 400 miles. Tachometer problem just started this week. Shifting problem started last year.

Just went to garage and started Spyder, Everything is working fine again. Shifts proper, Tachometer is working. It's cold, been sitting for 5 hours and I'll bet it will work perfectly on the ride into work tomorrow in 40 degrees. dontknow:

Rode to work this morning @ 46 degrees, every thing working perfectly, sat in parking lot shifting gears with no problem and tachometer working.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2022 at 10:03 PM. Reason: ' 's + ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    New BRP oil kit used for recent oil change maybe 400 miles. Tachometer problem just started this week. Shifting problem started last year

Just went to garage and started Spyder, Everything is working fine again. Shifts proper, Tachometer is working. It's cold, been sitting for 5 hours and I'll bet it will work perfectly on the ride into work tomorrow in 40 degrees. dontknow:

Rode to work this morning @ 46 degrees, every thing working perfectly, sat in parking lot shifting gears with no problem and tachometer working.
    Been studying parts breakdowns on cheapcycleparts.com - Found some posts concerning shifting problems. Thinking my problem could be related to a "shift solenoid". Anyone know if the solenoids are accessible on the outside of the case in the front or are they internal?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2022 at 10:02 PM. Reason: ' 's + ;-)

Spyder Garage

I had the shifting problem when I had my 2012 SE5. It turned out to be the shifting solenoid seal had broke and the unit was replaced. All worked correctly afterwards

[

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Stant - By going through some of your previous posts, it looks like you already have a shop manual. So, the whole explanation of how the HCM works and where all of the solenoids and pistons are is in there. But….have you looked at the shifter arm that connects the shift linkage to the shift shaft yet. It may be beginning to strip out the splines and is a much more common failure on the SE5.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Well, gonna be a month until shop can look at it so..... I'm still riding. I've figured out, bike works perfectly in cool morning air, no problems; and in the afternoon as long as I keep riding so the temp gauge stays below the 1/2 way mark I have no problems. Red lights, stop signs, so far No problem. BUT let it sit and idle until temp gets up to mid-way point and then "Check Transmission" light starts flashing and I can't shift out of first gear. Can't shift at all! But shut it off, wait 30 seconds with key out, and it will start and go again! I think it has to do with engine temp, maybe oil pressure, probably a shift solenoid??

Took the long way home today, about 65 degrees, and I had no problems at stop signs or red lights. I finally pulled intl the garage and sat there until the temp got to the mid-way point and sure enough, it stuck in neutral and "check Trans" light started flashing. It will be fine in the morning....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2022 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Spaces after punctuation - text to voice really dislikes spaces before! ;-/

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    Well, gonna be a month until shop can look at it so..... I'm still riding. I've figured out, bike works perfectly in cool morning air, no problems; and in the afternoon as long as I keep riding so the temp gauge stays below the 1/2 way mark I have no problems. Red lights, stop signs, so far No problem. BUT let it sit and idle until temp gets up to mid-way point and then "Check Transmission" light starts flashing and I can't shift out of first gear. Can't shift at all! But shut it off, wait 30 seconds with key out, and it will start and go again! I think it has to do with engine temp, maybe oil pressure, probably a shift solenoid??

Took the long way home today, about 65 degrees, and I had no problems at stop signs or red lights. I finally pulled intl the garage and sat there until the temp got to the mid-way point and sure enough, it stuck in neutral and "check Trans" light started flashing. It will be fine in the morning....
    I would look into what Snowbelt said in post #6 ..... Also what's the difference between saying " half way mark " & " mid-way point " in reference to the Temp ..... Last year I was in stop & go traffic and the AIR temp was 115 F .... My 14 RT w/ the 1330 engine never went 1/2 way on the engine temp gauge. .... I don't engine temp is your issue .....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would look into what Snowbelt said in post #6 ..... Also what's the difference between saying " half way mark " & " mid-way point " in reference to the Temp ..... Last year I was in stop & go traffic and the AIR temp was 115 F .... My 14 RT w/ the 1330 engine never went 1/2 way on the engine temp gauge. .... I don't engine temp is your issue .....good luck .... Mike
    THis problem started last year . I checked linkage a month ago and last year and again this week ,There is nothing wrong with linkage. The problem occurs sitting still. Might not be temp related ,maybe oil pressure related?? Seems like it should be something with the shift solenoids
    And I didn't realize 1/2 way and mid-point would confuse anyone ,but Yes they are the same .

Just odd it occurs with higher temp and at idle ,everytme . So I wouldn't dismiss either . . We'll fine out once I can get it in shop . I probably should have done it over the winter but last year it only occurred once a month at most