Spyder Garage

Post Anyone added pushbutton or toggle switches to their Spyder?

I was considering adding a bank of marine grade, lighted pushbutton switches to my F3. With nowhere to mount them, I thought I'd just cut out a space in one of the top panels. When I asked BRP service shops about this, half just said "it can't be done" and the other half wanted to burn me at the stake! Just wondering if anyone has done this. I've done plenty of modifying body panels on my Jeeps, and I've done a bit of dashboard cutting on my car projects, so I don't understand what the problem is here... Input is welcome.
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't understand the issue as posed by the BRP Service shops.
    On my F3T I installed a push button switch, for my garage door opener, in the Left Side Service Panel.
    In that same panel I also installed a 12V coax power socket for my heated gear.
    Marine grade devices are good. No issues.
    Added benefit the socket and switch act as a tether for retaining the panel.
    On a previous ST-S I made a cutout in the center of the switch panel to add a USB and Voltmeter device.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chunkmonk View Post
    I was considering adding a bank of marine grade, lighted pushbutton switches to my F3. With nowhere to mount them, I thought I'd just cut out a space in one of the top panels. When I asked BRP service shops about this, half just said "it can't be done" and the other half wanted to burn me at the stake! Just wondering if anyone has done this. I've done plenty of modifying body panels on my Jeeps, and I've done a bit of dashboard cutting on my car projects, so I don't understand what the problem is here... Input is welcome.
    I think the problem here is that you have more experience than the BRP service shop employees and they are too embarrassed to admit it.
    So, they reject your inquiry. Most of them don't care for DIY'ers.

Spyder Garage

Like my friend Dave (Haze) above... I added a momentary button switch wired to a garage opener unit. ( In the same spot also) An EASY, must do job. Who wants to fumble about for the garage door opener when pulling in after a ryde ( or leaving for that matter). Have a button wired for the same purpose on my poor, old, slow V-Max. Both cars also have this simple feature built in. Guess we're lucky to have garages for our vehicles.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I don't understand the issue as posed by the BRP Service shops.
    On my F3T I installed a push button switch, for my garage door opener, in the Left Side Service Panel.
    In that same panel I also installed a 12V coax power socket for my heated gear.
    Marine grade devices are good. No issues.
    Added benefit the socket and switch act as a tether for retaining the panel.
    On a previous ST-S I made a cutout in the center of the switch panel to add a USB and Voltmeter device.
    Would you mind posting a pic of the mod you did with this? I really do not understand why no dealer would touch such a modification, and last week when I was at the nearest dealer to me, they actually gasped when I showed them the pic of the switch bank and said "OMG You're not actually considering DOING that are you??" - it was laughable, but very disappointing...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Like my friend Dave (Haze) above... I added a momentary button switch wired to a garage opener unit. ( In the same spot also) An EASY, must do job. Who wants to fumble about for the garage door opener when pulling in after a ryde ( or leaving for that matter). Have a button wired for the same purpose on my poor, old, slow V-Max. Both cars also have this simple feature built in. Guess we're lucky to have garages for our vehicles.

Lew L
    Would you mind posting up a pic or 2 of the install? I'd be interested to see the result for my own reference. Thanks.!

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Acess Panel Switch and Socket

Here are photos of my push button switch install on the Service Panel of my F3T.
    Round button opens the garage door. Opener is taped to the underside of the panel.
    Small socket is for powering my heated gear.
    I used the area in the lower half of the Access Panel. The upper half is available for switches
    and controls that extend deeper into the cavity.
    Sloppy images but you get the idea. Red/Black wires are for heated gear.
    Black and White wires are for the garage door opener.
    Blue tape keeps the wires secured.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack