Spyder Garage

Question After Bike to Bike and Rider to Passenger comms recommendations?

We have 2 spyders, wife’s 2012 RT and my 2015 RTS. We have 2 older children teen and above that have been our passengers when we ride.

My wife and I have modular helmets, my daughter has a full face helmet, son has a open face with a face shield.

We are looking for a bike to bike, but also a rider to passenger communication.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brent

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you want any communication advice, the BEST person to talk to would be Motorcycle Dave...one of our sponsors of the site.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Only thing to keep in mind, is that you don't use two diffrent brands. If you want Bike2bike communication, stick with one brand, and it will work fine. Mixing brands will lead to loss of communication due to diffrent bluetooth protocols.
    Cardo or Sena are the leading brands, Interphone has a nice set for less money, but I don't have personal experience with that brand. I use Driver to Passenger Freecom plus, and it does the job quite nice. Fiddled a bit with the settings, cause I have a modular helmet, which I mostly use with the chinpiece fully open, and had some struggles with wind blowing into the microphone, but that's sorted now. Either way, buy a good brand & you won't be sorry.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2022 at 01:09 AM. Reason: bleutooth = bluetooth ;-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    If you want any communication advice, the BEST person to talk to would be Motorcycle Dave...one of our sponsors of the site.
    +1 for Sena&X2 for Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Only thing to keep in mind, is that you don't use two diffrent brands, if you want Bike2bike communication, stick with one brand, and it will work fine, Mixing brands will lead to loss of communication, due to diffrent bleutooth protocols.
    Cardo or Sena are the leading brands, Interphone has a nice set for less money, but I don't have personal experience with that brand, I use Driver to passenger Freecom plus, and it does the job quite nice, fiddled a bit with the settings, cause I have a modular helmet, which I mostly use, with the chinpiece fully open, and had some struggles with wind blowing into the microphone, but that's sorted. Either way buy a good brand, you won't be sorry
    . Mixing brands . Leads to much headache . both claim to connect to others. Unfortunately not always the case. . Sometimes even the same brand can have difficulties. **Understanding is someone has to be the primary & start off that, all other device connections (MP3,GPS) connect after. **understanding - not verified & tested**
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2022 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Fixed barf ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I like the Cardo product line. I use the Packtalk Bold model works well with no problems, easily connects to non-Cardo comms such as Sena.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had Cardo for years with no problems...Changed to Sena 2 years ago and they work ok, but I don't like the delay when talking to each other when not on the bike...Your standing there talking to each other face to face and you hear it again a moment later thru the ear speakers...We are due for new helmet's and I'll be going with Cardo Packtalks...larryd

Spyder Garage

Second on the Packtalk Bold. If you ride with others, it’s easiest when you get the same products. That being said it’s not that hard for me to connect with Sena users, I just think the Cardo have better wind and noise cancelling then my Sena did. It also had better range and the Mesh technology is great when going around corners and losing line of sight in the Hills.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

It sounds funny and is expensive as in an additional piece of equipment, but dad and I both have Sena remotes on our spyders around the handlebars. We do the same on the snowmobiles with uclear. Every sled has a handlebar remote. Lets say wife and I want to talk, turn the comm off by pushing a button large button . (Now its just wife and I) Dad wants to talk to “all” so (me, wife, mom and dad) of us and he is turned off he pushes his large button I hear a beep beep in my helmet notifying me of group intercom, I push my button and we are all talking again. Remotes on the handle bars are much easier than fiddling with it on the side of your helmet with your fingers if you want to turn on and off with large groups. You can set it up with 2 on a bike can talk and other bike not hear or both bikes open and everyone hears. Only 2 options. You need the remotes for easy access. Bike to bike or person to person. We don’t use our phones while driving but lets say wife receives a call then everything needs shut down I imagine. We have independent GPS and music over bike speakers not inside helmets. So not sure how that would all work either if your using phone as music etc. Just communication is all we use our Senas for. We all use the same helmets. Either we use our module with the pods or open face dunce caps with the built in. We never mastered jumping form the actual mounted pods and built in. We all use the same helmet at the same time. I must admit the Calvary is works the best for this situation. And we all have the Calvary now. Calvary to lets the the 30 or 50 series we haven’t figured out how to do yet.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 05-17-2022 at 09:10 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

As the number 10 pair of hands on the keyboard in this thread, I strongly concur with those who recommend Motorcycle Dave. Do remember this too, unless one is routinely shoveling out lots of coin of the realm trying all kinds of comm systems, one of the things that most of us do when we have a system we like very much is we lose sight of what changes are taking place with other brands. That's where Dave can be a tremendous help. I have no connection with Dave's business; we are merely Naval Service veterans.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I've been using Sena products (now on my third generation) for years with my motorcycle riding group. We agree that the latest MESH technology that Sena uses, in their 50S/50R and higher models, is the best yet. Easy to connect to other users, great sound, and greater distance between riders without losing connection. As others have said, don't mix brands. Whether you use Sena, Cardo, etc., standardize on just one brand. Our group has standardized on Sena.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2022 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Sent = Sena ;-)
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i