Spyder Garage

Default Oil change today, using Rotella T6 & BajaRon's kit!

well i changed my oil today. i have always used shell rotella t6 in my bikes. my spyder is no different. i went with baja rons oil filter and oring kit. which i received quickly. my spyder is a 2019 f3 limited. the main sump has a green oring and one black one. there are also a couple of red orings. the kit has all black orings. after contacting ron by email, he responded quickly. that i thought was impressive as far as his quick reply. he said no worries, after a brief explanation on his selection of orings for oil changes. i was good with that. changed the oil and filter went for a drive, all is well. this is the first oil change. has 4500 miles on it. the spyder runs better and shifts better with the rotella t6.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 diesel engine full synthetic motor oil?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on DIY'ing ..... I've done quite a few of them myself ..... and still use the same " O " rings that came with my RT .... If it ain't broke I don't fix it ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-16-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

yes t6 5w40 diesel full synthetic it is also motorcycle rated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rotella T6 5/40 is my oil of choice for my recent oil change, that's just me, not selling anything. I know, it's getting hard to find and expensive.

2020 RTL
    Sebring FL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been doing searches for oil for a month or two now and Tractor Supply seems to have the better prices, not by much though.

Spyder Garage

If you live in a decently temperate climate. I wouldn't be adverse to running the 15-40 in the Spyder. It might be more readily available. It would definitely outlast the 5/40 version. I've got some hot weather customers running 20/50 Amsoil and they are very happy with it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

First oil change. With my high performance personal watercrafts (Sea Doos) I did the first oil change between 5-10hr not the recommended 50hrs. Any of y’all changed oil in the Spyders way before the recommended service mileage?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first service was performed by the dealer and signed off in my owner's manual for obvious reasons. I've done my own services since and have had some of my oil analyzed through Nappa. $15, good price. I use Amsoil and change oil/filter every 9k. I think a person could easily go 10k or more if using quality products.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    My first service was performed by the dealer and signed off in my owner's manual for obvious reasons. I've done my own services since and have had some of my oil analyzed through Nappa. $15, good price. I use Amsoil and change oil/filter every 9k. I think a person could easily go 10k or more if using quality products.
    I inadvertently went over 10K miles using the Rotella T6 oil and started to get clutch slipping. It would show up when I was on the highway on cruise control at about 75 mph.
    Fresh oil change fixed it.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 75 what'd you experience? Slippage on acceleration or just a slow or fast increase in RPM's. How did it show up?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I inadvertently went over 10K miles using the Rotella T6 oil and started to get clutch slipping. It would show up when I was on the highway on cruise control at about 75 mph.
    Fresh oil change fixed it.
    Well if the oil change fixed it, good for you! However, I can't really not fathom how 10,000 mile oil could cause the issue you have cited...unless the oil became highly diluted with something that was less compatible with the clutch disk material than the T6, which I also think unlikely from your comment. Normally if the oil hasn't become diluted with something, clutch slippage would occur fairly early with an oil that is not compatible with the clutch material (read high molybdenum level for example), which T6 has no problems with either as a new refill or older oil. Your experience I've not had as the result of used compatible oil on a properly working wet clutch, but good for you as I've said...Regards,
    2018 F3-L
    w/2600mi-2/14/22
    - The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    - HeliBars
    - 20" MadStad Wind Screen
    - Garmin Zumo XT
    - ROLO LASER Alignment, Tyler Texas
    - Greased Front Sprocket Splines w/TS-70
    - Baja Ron Heim End Links
    Many two-wheelers and w/40+ years of Riding
    The Woodlands, Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a neighbor that runs Delo 400 15w40 in everything including his Harley. He's never mentioned clutch slippage when we've discussed oils. Newer vehicles are calling for lighter weight oils like 5w20. I think that's because they're trying to improve MPG's.

Spyder Garage

Just changed oil for the season, again with Rotella 5/40 T6. The old oil after a season of use looked great on the dump...clean, nice coloring and no wear filings to discover. All set for another season. Thanks Ron for the help with the filter parts and quick service. Remember... where you can support the advertisers here who make this board possible. ~2010 RS SM5

Spyder Garage

I have a neighbor that runs Delo 400 15w40 in everything including his Harley. He's never mentioned clutch slippage when we've discussed oils. Newer vehicles are calling for lighter weight oils like 5w20. I think that's because they're trying to improve MPG's.
    For no other reason than to chat a little, using the PQIA oil analysis, most of the Delo looks like a good enough product for wet clutch operation with the exception of the SDE version of the DELO 400, and that is strictly an opinion. I prefer new oil tests to show a molybdenum level of less than 100ppm. My reasoning is most oil-related wet clutch slipping issues seem to revolve around the molybdenum level. However with all the technical reading that I've run across no one ever gives a definitive number where problems begin to occur with the wet clutches. That said, there are a number of oils available that are below the 100ppm to 150ppm area that I believe to be in the questionable range for a new oil wet clutch application. Interestingly the Rotella T6 and the T4 conventional oil are both well below 100ppm of molybdenum and both are JASO MA & MA2 tested however the Rotella T5 is significantly also below 100ppm (like 1ppm molybdenum), but is NOT JASO MA tested but has a JASO DH-2 rating for sulfur! This is to say I have no proof that a level below 100ppm molybdenum is a must or that a level over 150ppm molybdenum is an absolute no-go area, rather it is just my personal preference. Regards,
    2018 F3-L
    w/2600mi-2/14/22
    - The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    - HeliBars
    - 20" MadStad Wind Screen
    - Garmin Zumo XT
    - ROLO LASER Alignment, Tyler Texas
    - Greased Front Sprocket Splines w/TS-70
    - Baja Ron Heim End Links
    Many two-wheelers and w/40+ years of Riding
    The Woodlands, Texas

Spyder Garage

At 75 what'd you experience? Slippage on acceleration or just a slow or fast increase in RPM's. How did it show up?
    I'd be cruising at 75mph usually with cruise control, and I'd get a brief increase in RPMs along with a little lurching or hesitation feel on the bike. It would only happen if the bike was hot from riding over an hour or more.
    Oh and it was considerably more than 10K miles on the oil. I'm more than a bit embarrassed to admit it but it was probably closer to 14K or 15K. I was putting a lot of miles on in a short period of time and wasn't really keeping track of my mileage.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I'd be cruising at 75mph usually with cruise control, and I'd get a brief increase in RPMs along with a little lurching or hesitation feel on the bike. It would only happen if the bike was hot from riding over an hour or more.
    Oh and it was considerably more than 10K miles on the oil. I'm more than a bit embarrassed to admit it but it was probably closer to 14K or 15K. I was putting a lot of miles on in a short period of time and wasn't really keeping track of my mileage.
    Thank you for articulating the symptoms you experienced. Hoping it was only caused by your oversight and solved by your fresh oil change. Not many will confess to their inattentions and the results for the benefit of others. It's a bit perplexing that the extended oil change would cause the clutch slippage but it apparently did. Just a side note. Many years ago my boss "never" changed the motor oil in his personal company pickup truck or his wife's T-bird. He only changed the filter and added oil. After approx 100K miles he traded in both vehicles for new ones and continued the same practice. As for the company's trucks, they all got regular oil/filter changes along with other services on a regular basis. My boss told me, that oil never wears out, it only gets dirty. Go figure?

Spyder Garage

Speaking of oil change, when I purchased my used 2016 RTS SE6 the people gave me a new, in the box HiFLO filter 556. Because it was old and hadn't been in a wrapper, just the box I called Hiflo to ask if it was OK to use the filter. The tech ask the P/N and he said that the 556 is for a 998 engine and they (Hiflo) have not developed a filter yet for the 1330. I am confused as all heck.
    BTW I also generally use Rotella T6 but the PO gave me 6 qts of Amsoil.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BTW I also generally use Rotella T6 but the PO gave me 6 qts of Amsoil. Hey, it's good stuff but only use five of them.

(Hiflo) have not developed a filter yet for the 1330. I am confused as all heck. Yea, I'm confused too.

Spyder Garage

BTW I also generally use Rotella T6 but the PO gave me 6 qts of Amsoil. Hey, it's good stuff but only use five of them.

(Hiflo) have not developed a filter yet for the 1330. I am confused as all heck. Yea, I'm confused too.
    This is what the tech at Hiflo told me yesterday. Also, their website doesn't provide a filter for at least the 2016 RTS SE6.p ok
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2022 at 12:08 AM. Reason: there = their ;-)
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like you talked to a new Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    This is what the tech at Hiflo told me yesterday. Also, their website doesn't provide a filter for at least the 2016 RTS SE6.p ok
    I have used a 'Hi Flo' filter for my Spyder. My Spyder is a 2016 RTL SE6. Maybe another manufacturer Hiflo vs Hi Flo.
    I don't have the box and don't know who I got it from. I remembered that I ordered it from Amazon. It was not very well made in my opinion. I now have a different brand that I am using. ......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2022 at 12:09 AM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could be wrong, but any oil filter for a 1330 should fit (most) all 1330's? It's not the model of the ride it's the engine if they didn't make a major reconfiguration and redesign. Below is Baja Ron's oil filter application for the 1330.

2014-2021 SM6 & SE6 (1330cc ACE) Spyder Oil Filter Kit (Includes Seal Kit & Domestic Shipping)
    1- Oil Filter + 1 Seal Kit

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A Better Way

I could be wrong, but any oil filter for a 1330 should fit (most) all 1330's? It's not the model of the ride it's the engine if they didn't make a major reconfiguration and redesign. Below is Baja Ron's oil filter application for the 1330.

2014-2021 SM6 & SE6 (1330cc ACE) Spyder Oil Filter Kit (Includes Seal Kit & Domestic Shipping)
    1- Oil Filter + 1 Seal Kit
    Definitely give BajaRon a try. ......
    He is a good person and a vendor on this Forum....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Rotella T6 is getting very hard to find, and crazy high priced when you do. I found that Quicksilver 10W40 is JASCO MA2 rated, and available at a reasonable price on Amazon.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    on DIY'ing ..... I've done quite a few of them myself ..... and still use the same " O " rings that came with my RT .... If it ain't broke I don't fix it ..... JMHO .... Mike
    are you talking about the rubber O Rings ... or the Brass O rings under the drain plugs ???
    2011 RTS Spyder