Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3T Transmission failure followed by warped clutch - need advice?

Hi All,
    I have a 2018 F3T with 14K miles. In late March, my transmission shaft broke in two at highway speed. Not a fun experience. I have an extended warranty. The dealer wanted to replace the transmission. Warranty inspector refused a full replacement and insisted on parts replacement within the transmission, i.e. gears and the shaft. It is semi-automatic paddle shift. They just finished installing the parts. Now I am told the clutch plate is warped. Warranty is refusing to cover that part as they are saying it is a wear part. I am calling BS and was hoping some of you may have more experience with these bikes and offer some advice on whether the clutch plate would have warped at 14K without the catastrophic transmission failure.

Do you believe that it is worth contacting Can-Am since the original failure is a safety issue and likely a manufacturer's defect?

I appreciate any advice or if anyone has had a similar breakdown.

Thanks,
    JohnGirl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGirl View Post
    Hi All,
    I have a 2018 F3T with 14K miles. In late March, my transmission shaft broke in two at highway speed. Not a fun experience. I have an extended warranty. The dealer wanted to replace the transmission. Warranty inspector refused a full replacement and insisted on parts replacement within the transmission, i.e. gears and the shaft. It is semi-automatic paddle shift. They just finished installing the parts. Now I am told the clutch plate is warped. Warranty is refusing to cover that part as they are saying it is a wear part. I am calling BS and was hoping some of you may have more experience with these bikes and offer some advice on whether the clutch plate would have warped at 14K without the catastrophic transmission failure.

Do you believe that it is worth contacting Can-Am since the original failure is a safety issue and likely a manufacturer's defect?

I appreciate any advice or if anyone has had a similar breakdown.

Thanks,
    JohnGirl
    IMHO a CLUTCH should NEVER warp .... that is NOT Normal wear .... it's BS .... this should have been discovered by someone involved in this Repair, the fact that it wasn't .... ISN"T your fault ...... contact BRP for assistance ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-15-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

All or nothing. Wear part or not should have been caught at initial estimate inspection when decided was warranty. Yes is BS headache, question is: if you let them get away with it. Sorry to hear additional problems after such a major ordeal.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Sent you complete detail of the situation to date to BRPCare@BRP.com and ask them to open a case for you with the dealership. The dealership should have done that from the start. The warranty inspector is full of crap.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Sent you complete detail of the situation to date to BRPCare@BRP.com and ask them to open a case for you with the dealership. The dealership should have done that from the start. The warranty inspector is full of crap.
    ..... and is your extended warranty from BRP or another source ???? ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 03:02 AM. Reason: youyr = your

Spyder Garage

Another source, Torque, sold through BRP dealership. I have asked repeatedly for it to be reported to Can-am though because it is a safety issue they should know about. A shaft breaking in two is not a normal breakdown especially at low milage.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I am making phone calls and sending emails today. I have been without my bike since late March so my patience and Southern hospitality are now gone.
    Last edited by JohnGirl; 05-16-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGirl View Post
    Another source, Torque, sold through BRP dealership. I have asked repeatedly for it to be reported to Can-am though because it is a safety issue they should know about. A shaft breaking in two is not a normal breakdown especially at low milage.
    If the dealership is MARKETING this " Torque " warranty Co. IMHO there may be some Liability for the Dealership .... I'm not a Lawyer but I was an LEO , and during a Bank hold-up if someone gets killed the get-away driver gets charged with MURDER the same as the person who did the killing .... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Torque Group web site has strong smell to me of free lunch, of which we know there isn't any except for the selling dealer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Update. Finally got my bike back today. BRP stepped in and covered the clutch plates. Coincidentally the agreement to help coincided with the sprocket recall. Either way, I am happy to be riding again after 3+ months. I will still have to return for a sprocket once they have the parts after August.

Spyder Garage

It is good that BRP covered the clutch parts. There is no question that they should since the trike has such low mileage to have a transmission problem.
    As far as warranties, it is always better to purchase a factory extended warranty over the independent company. The factory warranty covers more items, uses genuine OEM parts, and is accepted at all dealerships. The independent warranty is usually only an agreement with that dealer and not with the manufacturer. Even if you can go to any repair facility, they may not honor the labor rate. They usually cover less, will use non OEM parts and even used parts.
    As a retired new car dealer, had to tell a lot of customers that even though their independent warranty covers the internals of the powertrain, it doesn’t cover the leaking seal that caused the major problem and the independent company is refusing the claim. Other issues included the difference of the labor rate they were not willing to pay that then became the customers responsibility. When the independent warranty company wanted me to install used parts, had to refuse because it was against my dealer agreement with the manufacturer. Then the customer had to take the car to an independent repair shop inexperienced with the brand or pay the difference between new and used with me.
    It is so important to read and understand any extended warranty to really know what is covered. The dealer that sold that warranty to you made more profit on it than he would have made with OEM warranty. The independent warranties I sold for other make used cars had a much higher profit margin. That’s why the dealer didn’t go to bat for you with BRP. They didn’t want BRP to know they are selling non OEM extended warranties.
    Last edited by Tourer; 08-08-2022 at 07:27 PM.
    2015 F3S SE6