Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in 1st gear & won't start - any ideas?

Went to start my 2017 rt SE6 today and turned the key and the bike went thru the power up procedure
    but the gear selector indicates 1st and the bike won't turn over.
    Any ideas? Thanks
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Problem solved!
    Took the key out, waited 10 minutes and tried again. It still indicated 1st gear but this time it turned over and started.
    The gear indicator then changed from 1st to neutral.
    All is well....Silly Spyder!
    Gary
    1987 BMW K75s

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Problem solved!
    Took the key out, waited 10 minutes and tried again. It still indicated 1st gear but this time it turned over and started.
    Over the years I have decided that a low battery is usually the cause of the bike not starting because it was left in gear ( 1st ) when it was shut down. .... I ALWAYS leave it in Neutral and it always starts even if the battery is low because it's 5+ years old .... It appears the AUTO shift into Neutral needs more juice than if the trans. is in Neutral at shut down ..... just my personal experience ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're stuck in 1st gear, press on the brake whilst trying to start. It's a built in safety feature.
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Spyder Garage

Spyder is always on a tender when not in use, but I agree that a 5 year old battery is probably ready for replacement.
    Gary
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Spyder is always on a tender when not in use, but I agree that a 5 year old battery is probably ready for replacement.
    As batteries age they begin losing their ability to provide maximum output ..... Do you have STAR washers on the terminals ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1330's suck a lot of volts/amps during and just prior to startup. If you have a volt gauge you can watch it drop and then rebuild quickly. As your battery grows older that time frame takes longer. I got 7 good years out of my OEM battery. I guess a lot of folks don't get that kind of battery life. Depends on how you care for it I guess.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 03:53 AM. Reason: alot = a lot ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    1330's suck a lot of volts/amps during and just prior to startup. If you have a volt gauge you can watch it drop and then rebuild quickly. As your battery grows older that time frame takes longer. I got 7 good years out of my OEM battery. I guess a lot of folks don't get that kind of battery life. Depends on how you care for it I guess.
    X's 2..... I got six years which is good considering the size we use ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Over the years I have decided that a low battery is usually the cause of the bike not starting because it was left in gear ( 1st ) when it was shut down. .... I ALWAYS leave it in Neutral and it always starts even if the battery is low because it's 5+ years old .... It appears the AUTO shift into Neutral needs more juice than if the trans. is in Neutral at shut down ..... just my personal experience ..... good luck .... Mike
    I've had a 2014 RT-S for 8 years and for 8 years every time I shut down the bike goes into Neutral regardless if it indicated 1st at the time I shut-off power.
    So HOW do I know this. Easy! When my "Parking" brake needs adjustment or has sufficiently worn, the bike rolls on an incline. It also rolls if I shut it down without applying the "Parking" brake.

If it were "really" in gear, it would never roll.

AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2024 at 07:51 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I've had a 2014 RT-S for 8 years and for 8 years every time I shut down the bike goes into Neutral regardless if it indicated 1st at the time I shut-off power.
    So HOW do I know this. Easy! When my "Parking" break needs adjustment or has sufficiently worn, the bike rolls on an incline. It also rolls if I shut it down without applying the "Parking" break.

If it were "really" in gear, it would never roll.

AJ
    Nice thought that, but the 1330 SE's have a clutch that's activated by the oil pressure that's ONLY present when the engine is running, so the moment the engine shuts down, even if the trans is still in gear, it's the clutch that disengages the driveline from the output shaft, not the trans shifting to Neutral; and the clutch disengaging is why your Spyder will roll freely once the engine's not running in the manner that you've experienced !

So if you shut the engine down while it's in gear, the Spyder will roll freely as per your post even tho the trans still has a gear engaged; but as soon as you try to start the engine, then as Blueknight suggested, the computer senses that the trans is still in a gear so it selects Neutral on start-up, and as BK suggested, that does take some 'extra' electrical power!

However, I don't think it actually takes any more power for that shift, it's just that before the engine has started firing again, instead of that shift being powered by the alternator, all of that power hasta come straight from the battery at pretty much exactly the same time you're calling on the starter to crank, & the coils to fire, etc, etc - and that's all happening before the alternator has started to provide any green steam!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 04:05 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

As batteries age they begin losing their ability to provide maximum output ..... Do you have STAR washers on the terminals ...... Mike
    Yes indeed on the star washers. My background is in pro audio, and I used star washers when mounting components to racks. Solved many noise and hum problems by ensuring a good bond between the equipment and the rack.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2024 at 07:53 PM.
    Gary
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

. It appears the AUTO shift into Neutral needs more juice than if the trans. is in Neutral at shut down ..... just my personal experience ..... good luck .... Mike
    heh... this is pretty interesting. I wonder if you are on to something here...
    Nice observation
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    heh... this is pretty interesting. I wonder if you are on to something here...
    Nice observation
    I think so .... I bought my 14 RT NEW and the dealer didn't charge it correctly ..... As I was coming home from Ill. ( to Vermont ). I had stopped and shut it off ... IN GEAR .... It wouldn't re-start .... A good Samaritan stopped and gave me a JUMP from His car Battery .... My RT started instantly .... I decided at that point to always leave it in neutral .. and had no further issues. ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I listened to Mike, and it is now the procedure i use, Neutral when stopping, practice it, and it will become, muscle memory.....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I also never leave mine in gear when parked/stopped. Why would you?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

From day one I've always shifted to Neutral before shutting down. Maybe it's because I had read about people having this problem.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry that is not the way it works. On a SE model. When starting in gear. Your foot needs to be on the service brake for the starter to crank the engine. After the engine starts and reaches idle speed. The transmission will shift will to neutral from any gear. The transmission is not shifted to neutral before starting. That's impossible. Hydraulic pressure shifts the transmission and that does not happen until the trans pump is running.

There is no extra power needed to start the engine in gear. So in this case there does not appear to any evidence of a battery issue and it was not stuck in gear.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-18-2022 at 11:36 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Went to start my 2017 rt SE6 today and turned the key and the bike went thru the power up procedure
    but the gear selector indicates 1st and the bike won't turn over.
    Any ideas? Thanks
    Sorry if I'm late to the party, you may have seen this answer already.
    You need to have your foot on the brake to start the bike in any gear other than neutral.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Problem solved!
    Irrelevant to your issue, but for everyone else...

Check the kill switch. I had this problem and it took me better than 15 min - finally RTFM and found reference to it in the "troubleshooting" section.

The reason it took so long is that the spyder is different that most bikes. On every other bike I've owned, the kill switch just interrupts the ignition. If it was switched to "off", the starter (if it had one) would turn over, the engine would just not start.

On the Spyder, the kill switch evidently interrupts the starter circuit, as well.