Spyder Garage

Default 08 Spyder with loose play in the handlebar.

This left/right 2 or 3 degrees of play has got me baffled. There is no up or down movement of the handlebar and it rides straight. There is nothing loose about the tie rods or sway bar. I read somewhere that it could be the steering shaft is loose but now I can't revisit it. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? The play at the ends of the bar is about 1/4 inch from center.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rydernow View Post
    This left/right 2 or 3 degrees of play has got me baffled. There is no up or down movement of the handlebar and it rides straight. There is nothing loose about the tie rods or sway bar. I read somewhere that it could be the steering shaft is loose but now I can't revisit it. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? The play at the ends of the bar is about 1/4 inch from center.
    " about 1/4 inch from center " ...... if I'm understanding you, at the ends of the bars you have 1/4 in play up & down .... I think your fine ... I have 14 RT w/66,000+ miles and have about the same. I think this what BRP has designed into the system ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

When was last alignment? Maybe time again just to double check. Riding straight is good yes, however doesn’t confirm alignment

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Within a few months of buying my 2013 Spyder brand new waaay back then, I was told by the (since closed/gone out of business due to incompetence) local dealer that they'd need to fix a touch more 'free play' in the steering than that at my expense, cos it was obviously my ryding that'd done that! . But I called BS & got a second opinion from a trusted but not so local dealer (over 700 miles away - rode it there ) who basically told me that even twice that much movement each way would still be within the 'normal' parameters, cos some free play when not moving is basically necessary for the electric power steering to be able to work properly once you are, so just get on & ride with it & don't worry so much about the little things! I took that advice to heart, and that's what I've successfully done ever since (8+ years-ish) with absofreakinlutely NO CHANGE in the free play &/or quite direct steering once moving over that time! Still there, still no issues, & after I got a proper wheel alignment, it's certainly not been noticeable once Spyder's started moving

Still, if you don't know when it was last aligned, or if it was done more'n a few years back, then it might pay to get the alignment checked to just make sure you have at least a little toe-in with the Spyder under normal loads!

And if you have had an alignment done in the last few years, and can't clearly recall any fairly large/savagely noticeable bumps or prangs since, then just check out the big bold letters in my sig line below... They're a great mantra to live by!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2022 at 05:22 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Within a few months of buying my 2013 Spyder brand new waaay back then, I was told by the (since closed/gone out of business due to incompetence) local dealer that they'd need to fix a touch more 'free play' in the steering than that at my expense, cos it was obviously my ryding that'd done that! . But I called BS & got a second opinion from a trusted but not so local dealer (over 700 miles away - rode it there ) who basically told me that even twice that much movement each way would still be within the 'normal' parameters, cos some free play when not moving is basically necessary for the electric power steering to be able to work properly once you are, so just get on & ride with it & don't worry so much about the little things! I took that advice to heart, and that's what I've successfully done ever since (8+ years-ish) with absofreakinlutely NO CHANGE in the free play &/or quite direct steering once moving over that time! Still there, still no issues, & after I got a proper wheel alignment, it's certainly not been noticeable once Spyder's started moving

Still, if you don't know when it was last aligned, or if it was done more'n a few years back, then it might pay to get the alignment checked to just make sure you have at least a little toe-in with the Spyder under normal loads!

And if you have had an alignment done in the last few years, and can't clearly recall any fairly large/savagely noticeable bumps or prangs since, then just check out the big bold letters in my sig line below... They're a great mantra to live by!
    ...... however IMHO steering " free play " has nothing to do with the " alignment "..... the " free play " is in the actual steering itself ... the TIE rod connections may have worn to the point of being loose and this would feel like " free play ", but I doubt they have. .... I really don't think any veh. steering system ( even RACE cars ) can be made with ZERO free play ... if you've ever watched race cars in action they often show the in-car video, the drivers are almost constantly moving the steering wheel. But the car ( especially F-1 ) doesn't actually respond in any way that's noticeable to the eye ..... like Peter said don't worry about this in your case, it's normal ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your comments/advice. I also have an 09 Spyder and there is zero play in the bars and that was the reason for my concern. I'll just keep ryden on.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your comments/advice. I also have an 09 Spyder and there is zero play in the bars and that was the reason for my concern. I'll just keep ryden on.
    " ZERO play "..... So your handlebars DO NOT MOVE AT ALL ( when the bike is off )..... interesting I've owned Three spyders and on EVERYONE of them the bars had some movement ..... Congrats you own a perfect and very unique Spyders .....JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-15-2022 at 10:52 PM.