Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Back and neck pain after Ultimate seat - anyone else? Fix?

So, just throwing this out there. I put an UltimTe seat on my 2021 RTL, and now I have a little pain in my upper back and neck. So I feel like I need to bring the handlebars back, but not up. Has anyone else experienced that?
    Am I thinking about this right … back without raising them? Is that even a thing?

Thanks
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Lots of options. Heli-bars give total positional control but are $$$ and there's a huge assortment of other spyder bars.

What changed in your seating that created the new pain?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

You can loosen the clamp bolts and rotate the bars on the ‘21 RT, Mike……..

BUT…… if you rotate the bars toward you, that obviously lowers the height of the bars. Also, there is a slot in the base of the stock bars that limits the amount you can rotate them. If you want to keep the bars at the same height as current, but bring them toward you, your cheapest option is risers. Lamonster, for example, sell a riser block that lifts the bars around 2”. If you install that, and then rotate the bars toward you, you should come pretty close to achieving what you are after.

As Ray mentions above, Helibars are brilliant with the 4 adjustments, but they are pricey.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 05-14-2022 at 06:17 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Note that rotating the bars down will also change your wrist angle which could be a concern. I bit the bullet and installed Heli Bars for the flexibility of positioning.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 05-14-2022 at 06:21 PM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    So, just throwing this out there. I put an UltimTe seat on my 2021 RTL, and now I have a little pain in my upper back and neck. So I feel like I need to bring the handlebars back, but not up. Has anyone else experienced that?
    Am I thinking about this right … back without raising them? Is that even a thing?

Thanks
    If you bring the bars back you will be retracting your scapula (shoulder blades). That will increase the pain in your upper back and probably increase neck pain. The way to test this without changing the position of the bars is, once you feel the pain, stop, release the handle bars, and retract (bring back) the scapula and protract (bring forward) and notice which position increases or decreases the pain. You don’t happen to elevate your shoulders when riding, do you.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-14-2022 at 08:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

how soon after you started riding your Spyder did the Pain start ?? because I have kinda same problem , but I just thought it was because I grip the Handle Bars way to tight I know , I have been really trying to relax more , but I know its hard to do , I sure want to hear what if anything helps you with your pain.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

I think that your seat has maybe lifted you up some and making you hunch over, you may have to raise them up!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

put the f3 stock bars on

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    put the f3 stock bars on
    I had the same problem and this worked for me.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    how soon after you started riding your Spyder did the Pain start ?? because I have kinda same problem , but I just thought it was because I grip the Handle Bars way to tight I know , I have been really trying to relax more , but I know its hard to do , I sure want to hear what if anything helps you with your pain.
    .... I no longer even GRIP the bars .... fingers not holding just resting .... UNLESS I'm in the twistie's ...... I guide my Spyder not really steering it ....... way less fatiguing ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I think after my first 2 hours, but I really didn’t think about it much. Then second looonger ride for me was Friday, 175 miles with one stop, and the pain is back. Not horrible, but I started thinking about it.
    Then after reading these replies I did the same ride, but home. When I felt it I moved my hands off the bars, just leaving my fingertips, so somewhere about 2” up and back. That might be the answer, or at least convincing enough to give it a try.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2022 at 06:05 PM. Reason: i = it ;-)

Spyder Garage

I think after my first 2 hours, but I really didn’t think about it much. Then second looonger ride for me was Friday, 175 miles with one stop, and the pain is back. Not horrible, but I started thinking about it.
    Then after reading these replies I did the same ride, but home. When I felt i I moved my hands off the bars, just leaving my fingertips, so somewhere about 2” up and back. That might be the answer, or at least convincing enough to give it a try.
    Mike, if you are sure it is your arm/hand position causing the issues, you should seriously consider the Helibars if finances allow. They will let you go up and back, and adjust the wrist angle for the best comfort.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

HeliBars was the best investment in my bike so far.

Spyder Garage

HeliBars and Utopia driver backrest worked for me.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Thank you all. I'll look further at the Helibars ... but I don't think I'm $600 sore, but I do appreciate where you are coming from. I usually try to ascribe to the "pay once, cry once" school of thought, but our finances wont allow that right now.

Thank you all for your input and things to think about. I'm going to take a ride and try all the suggestions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you get the backrest with your seat?

Spyder Garage

Thank you all. I'll look further at the Helibars ... but I don't think I'm $600 sore, but I do appreciate where you are coming from. I usually try to ascribe to the "pay once, cry once" school of thought, but our finances wont allow that right now.
    Thank you all for your input and things to think about. I'm going to take a ride and try all the suggestions.
    Fair enough, Mike…..and I have seen a couple of pairs of Helibars for sale as they didn’t work for their owners (not sure why), so they don’t work for everybody, just nearly everybody . I would hate you to spend that money and then find that you are one of those riders. Mind you, there is always a market for 2nd hand, so they can be sold easily. Good luck in finding a resolution

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if that seat raised you up might want to raise the floor boards also

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Fair enough, Mike…..and I have seen a couple of pairs of Helibars for sale as they didn’t work for their owners (not sure why), so they don’t work for everybody, just nearly everybody . I would hate you to spend that money and then find that you are one of those riders. Mind you, there is always a market for 2nd hand, so they can be sold easily. Good luck in finding a resolution

Pete
    I wish I could have found a used set, but I was lucky enough to wait until the taller 2022 F3 version came out. After elongating the hole a touch, I can damn near make them mini apes

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have an ultimate seat on my F3. I love it but it didn't eliminate the neck/shoulder pain. That was solved by purchasing (directly from CanAm) and installing Short Reach handlebars. Pain is gone. If that hadn't worked, my next step would have been the more expensive Heli-Bars.
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm coming late to this thread. I seem to be doing that a lot lately................
    Regardless, I vote strongly for Helbars.
    Quite a bit of cash up front, around $650.
    Nevertheless, the best investment I made on my 2020 RTL.
    I had my dealer install them even before I picked the bike up.
    Infinite adjustment in all planes. You even have the possibility, if necessary, to adjust the left side and the right side independently.
    I also got the BRP backrest.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I do like taller bars on my bikes, but with the position of the mirrors, i am concerned that the Helibars are going to put my hands right in the view of the mirrors.
    I have my F3 bars lifted about a high as i can go and see my mirrors just over my wrist. If anything i would like to go higher.

Can you folks that have the Helibars tell me if you can see your current mirrors, or did you have to add new mirrors? Thanks
    2021 Limited , Lava Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jbird View Post
    I do like taller bars on my bikes, but with the position of the mirrors, i am concerned that the Helibars are going to put my hands right in the view of the mirrors.
    I have my F3 bars lifted about a high as i can go and see my mirrors just over my wrist. If anything i would like to go higher.

Can you folks that have the Helibars tell me if you can see your current mirrors, or did you have to add new mirrors? Thanks
    I have the newer/taller version of the Helibars on my F3S. Yup .. They do block the OEM mirrors. I have Lamonster Top Cuffs/aftermarket mirrors on the byke now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

To the OP, try giving yourself a few weeks with the new setup before you buy anything. Sometimes it takes your body to get used to the changes but eventually you will. Just like when I got my bike and it took a few weeks for my arms to settle in.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I have the HeliBars on my '20 RT. No problem seeing mirrors. I'm 6 ft. on OEM seat.