Spyder Garage

Default Attended Can Am Road Experience day - LOT of fun!

Went to a "Can Am on road experience" today. LOT of fun. I've been so happy with my beloved STS, but have to say the F3/RTs are impressive. Not turning my nose up at the Ryker, but it wasn't for me. Fun though. Something I noticed on the F3 is the area between my lower back & top of my "crack" got numb during the ride (sorry if that's a crude description). Not painful, but not a pleasant feeling. Fun way to spend a morning
    2014 STS

Spyder Garage

I've just made the move from my old RS which I had for 9+ years to a 2017 F3L.

I'd looked at F3's when they first came out but when I took one out on a test ride I found them slower than the RS and, like you, I had similar issues with the sitting position so didn't upgrade at the time. Coming from riding road/sports motorbikes the RS/ST sitting position is a very natural one. With the F3 sitting position your more aware aware of mass of the Spyder and its feels less bike like. So I stuck with my RS at the time.

However I'd got to the point where the RS was beginning to show the results of hard life it had with me (I do iron butt rides, dirt roads, etc) so I started looking for a replacement. Originally I'd thought of just another low mileage RS but people were asking the same price as I'd paid for mine new! At the dealers with the interrupted supply lines all they had available were a couple of new F3S's and the low-km secondhand F3L. There were Rykers as well but I don't fit on those:-) For the sort of riding I do the F3L just made the most sense.

Being a long limbed 6'2" with the F3L I got footboards put on their most forward position (footboards was something I was unsure and had planned to replace but now love). On few longer test rides I still got the odd niggle in my lower back so replaced the swept back bars with drag bars so I sat more forward. That turned out to be the change that was needed, because the F3L was so much more comfortable then. The last iron butt was a two day one, when I got to the finish I still felt fresh and not achy so rode on to home. Adding another 6 hours riding on top of what I'd just done.

So my sense with the F3's is that its a bit of a pot luck if they are setup correctly when you try out the demonstrators. that adjustability, which I just written off as a gimmick, actually helps. The problem is its hard to be sure quite what the right setup for you without test rides and adjustments.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 05-14-2022 at 06:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug5283 View Post
    Went to a "Can Am on road experience" today. LOT of fun. I've been so happy with my beloved STS, but have to say the F3/RTs are impressive. Not turning my nose up at the Ryker, but it wasn't for me. Fun though. Something I noticed on the F3 is the area between my lower back & top of my "crack" got numb during the ride (sorry if that's a crude description). Not painful, but not a pleasant feeling. Fun way to spend a morning
    528B03EE-64AC-4C3E-AF5C-504607BF46EE.jpeg plumbers “vertical” smile

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack