Spyder Garage

Default Looking for toy hauler-tow vehicle recommendations

I am used to hauling my Spyder F3L to FL each winter on my tag-along 14' aluminum trailer behind my Jeep, and spending 5 months at a manufactured home in a great little park. However, as a result of Covid and consequent inability to cross-border travel by vehicle for two years (2020-21), I sold that wonderful little home because I couldn't get much use of it. I still could simply use the Jeep/trailer, and rent motel or short-term house accommodation. An alternative, now that the pandemic is receding and border has re-opened, is to purchase a truck and toy hauler (new or used), and have the possibility of far greater variety of destination (e.g., US southwest) during winter months. Although I'm 81, I'm in decent shape, look and act 15 years younger, and find road travel enjoyable and undaunting. I will mostly be travelling by myself (subject to change, of course). It's been some years since I did the 'camper scene', but I've had previous experience and am fairly adaptable. So, I'm looking for recommendations on toy haulers and suitable towing vehicles. Who better to ask than those with such experience from amongst the Spyder community. Thank you to any who wish to contribute.

My thoughts to date seem to involve something around 28' to 30' in length with at least a 12' to 13' garage; possibly a 'pop-out' to allow for a little more space, since anything I get will become my home on wheels for 5 months, and I don't want to become claustrophobic. I have looked around at several makes and models, and am trying to do my homework, thinking through the necessary essentials along with the possible wish-list options. To do it or not, is the first question; if it's a 'go', then it comes down to 'what is the best choice?', and why. Would love to have your helpful thoughts, suggestions, critiques, warnings, etc. Many of you have the answers to things I'm trying to learn.

So, the Spyder and I want to travel. Long distances will be involved. Where, exactly, we will stay is undecided. What equipment we will utilize is open for debate/discussion. How we go about this may well depend on the experience and skilled advice of those far more knowledgeable and willing to pass along any hints and comments.

Thank you.
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-13-2022 at 09:51 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I may be raining on your parade a little, but I'll share my thoughts. Finding RV sites in Florida is becoming harder. My park recently converted all RV sites to Annual Rentals only for $985/month. If you rent a site you can sub let for the months you don't use, but no guarantees. I'm afraid the days of just wandering from place to place with your camper may be coming to an end. As you know, the further south and the closer to the ocean, the harder it is to find lodging of any kind. Housing prices in the same park have increased to outrageous numbers. Small old converted house trailers with a lanai are selling for $60K++ for something you could buy for $10k a couple years ago. Newer doublewide modular homes that sold for about $100k 3 or 4 years ago are now selling for between $150 and $200k on rented land! Gasoline and diesel fuel prices are currently at record high so travel with a trailer of any kind is not cheap. Since you still have the Jeep and trailer, why not tow your Spyder to Florida and rent or lease a place for a few months while you scout the area for more permanent options. Sorry if this all sounds like bad news, but a lot has changed in 2 years.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are early in the same process. For what it’s worth we have landed on the Grand Design series and looking at a 23G as our entry model, that my existing 1/2 ton Dodge Ram can comfortably tow. We plan to use it for the next couple years and then if we like that lifestyle, upgrade to a new 1 ton and grand design fifth wheel model for serious retirement living. Wish you all the best in your decision, keep us posted.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

WDAVEY... sincere thanks for your down-to-earth and realistic thoughts. You're not raining on my parade at all; I appreciate the input. Those are points that have also passed between my ears Also have to agree with your assessment of FL real estate (and manufactured home) values. When I sold my place in Feb. 2021 (mid FL), it brought $80K, highest value in the park; had I waited another 6 or 8 months, I likely would have got $130K. Simply astounding how values jumped within a year. Anyway, what's done is done. I may, though, do as you suggest - stick with my small trailer and rent motel rooms or houses and have a whole less invested while having maximum mobility, too. Thanks for the input.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Brentc... appreciate your thoughts. I will certainly check out your recommendations. I believe in doing a lot of 'homework' before actually buying, and you have given me a good lead. Thanks. Wasn't previously aware of this brand or layout.
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-14-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We winter in Yuma, AZ where live in a 40' 5th wheel with 5 slideouts on a lot we own. It's comfortable enough for the 2 of us, but I can't imagine living for 6 months at a time in anything much smaller. We leave it parked on our lot, so tow vehicle isn't a consideration, fortunately. We have lots of snowbird neighbors employing a wide range of strategies for traveling back and forth between their summer and winter abodes, traveling around at each location, enjoying outdoor activities at each location, so I think I've seen and heard it all when it comes to snowbirding (vs full-time RV'ing).

I don't know your financial limitations, but I'm guessing that both your capital outlay and daily living budgets are modest. As noted by other posters, the cost of fuel and real estate have gone completely bonkers in the past year and may not have abated much by next winter. The same goes for rv lot rentals.

So, I don't want to discourage you from doing what you're thinking, but just be aware you may have to make more compromises than ever before. I really think that a smaller toy-hauler like you're considering is going to be too limiting for extended living, even for one. I think you'd be better off with a large class c, towing a closed trailer with your Spyder and 'stuff', ideally set up for extended 'boondocking, and travel around the southwest living off the grid with virtually no space rental costs; lots of people from Canada do that (look up Quartzite, Az).

I admire your adventurous spirit. If you're ever down our way next winter, stop by and stay awhile on our lot!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-15-2022 at 12:17 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Utah Pete... grateful thanks for the incisive, critical thinking, along with alternative suggestions. Exactly the thing I need at this point. Nothing better than chatting/listening to those who have 'been there, done that'. Perhaps you're already aware of some luxury fifth-wheel toy haulers, but i thought maybe you'd enjoy one I stumbled across this morning (never knew such 'palaces' existed for hauling rides):
    https://luxefifthwheel.com/rv/luxury...621064de95e013.
    That's a bit more than I was contemplating (dreaming)!! Thanks for the insight, and for the gracious invitation; most kind.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Utah Pete... grateful thanks for the incisive, critical thinking, along with alternative suggestions. Exactly the thing I need at this point. Nothing better than chatting/listening to those who have 'been there, done that'. Perhaps you're already aware of some luxury fifth-wheel toy haulers, but i thought maybe you'd enjoy one I stumbled across this morning (never knew such 'palaces' existed for hauling rides):
    https://luxefifthwheel.com/rv/luxury...621064de95e013.
    That's a bit more than I was contemplating (dreaming)!! Thanks for the insight, and for the gracious invitation; most kind.
    I've definitely seen rigs like that, with a semi-truck tug, with full solar on top, boondocking in the Arizona desert. But, most rigs are more modest in size, purchase cost and operating cost. Solar system is the key, along with large fresh water tank and holding tanks. You could easily boondock for 2 weeks at a time, with zero cost for space rental and utilities, in something like what I described above. Shop smart and you could get into it fully equipped for about $100k I think. 10mpg on the road.

Email me if you'd like to discuss further.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Brentc... appreciate your thoughts. I will certainly check out your recommendations. I believe in doing a lot of 'homework' before actually buying, and you have given me a good lead. Thanks. Wasn't previously aware of this brand or layout.
    Signed paperwork today after taking RTS and RT622 to the dealership and verifying that both will fit. It was tight, but doable.

5DFE9A63-E0B9-4CE8-9933-AAEF87741F83.jpg

BC3BCC73-566B-474B-BEB9-760E4D103F8E.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2022 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display & caps
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White