Spyder Garage

Default Riding Wind Chill Chart

Ok Folks:

It 's that time of year . Does anyone have access to a wind chill chart that they can post here.? That way u can match ambient temperature readout to your speed planned for your ride and see what you should wear before you ride.

^62 degrees ambient at 75mph was a little chilly tonite ...

thanks
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

HDX and I wear Gerbings in cold weather. Can pretty much ride all year round unless there is snow and ice on the road. Like riding inside of a clothes dryer - awesome! I actually have to turn mine down or I get drowsy.

We only have the jacket liners. Don't need the pants. If your core is nice and toasty - your whole body is toasty! My hands even stay warm.

Spyder Garage

Try this link for motorcycle windchill calculation:

http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I rode 150 miles on the interstate at 40* the other morning, that was invigorating. Glad I had the good sense to don the snowmobile gear before I left.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by northramp View Post
    Ok Folks:

It 's that time of year . Does anyone have access to a wind chill chart that they can post here.? That way u can match ambient temperature readout to your speed planned for your ride and see what you should wear before you ride.

^62 degrees ambient at 75mph was a little chilly tonite ...

thanks

Here is a chart that I use.

Don

Spyder Garage

These charts are just what i needed.. Thanks folks .. and thanks Smylinatcha for the tip on gear !!
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

I use the heated gear also - If you plan on getting it I'd recommend getting the rheostat for temp control right away - started out with a vest when I rode behind my husband without the rheostat - however on the Spyder I needed the jacket liner. The gloves are great too!
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    BRP 1" riser, Trunk liner & Fog Lights. NMN Triple Play & Turn Signal LED, Double Play, Front Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Light Kit, Center Tail Light. 3" Handlebar Riser Kit, Adj. Footrest Brackets & Axle Caps, and Chad Windshield. Kuryakyn Spider pegs & mounts, ISO Grips, & Throttle Boss. J&M radio (Custom Bracket). Evoluzione Power Bus. DEI Exhaust Wrap. AudioVox Cruise Control (Custom Bracket). Gerbing Electric clothing socket.

Spyder Garage

In the northeast, if you want to ride in the early spring or late fall as I do, you really do need heated clothing and accessories to stay comfortable. I use the Tourmaster synergy heated jacket liner and heated gloves with my Cortech jacket and Tourmaster venture pants with the insulated liners. I will be getting heated socks or heated insoles for my riding boots from Cozywinters to add to my heated gear collection as well. This gear keeps me very warm even in temps as low as 25 degrees. On the spyder I added the Symtec heated grips and use Skidoo handle bar muffs over the handle bars which really help keeping your hands warm in cold climates and wind chills. This is a link from Cozywinters, which has some really neat heated accessories.

http://cozywinters.com/heated-clothing/

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I agree that you *need* heated gear. It's definitely nice, but not sure it is a necessity. I ride snowmobiles in the winter in Northern Maine and I've ridden at with temps as low as -10F with wind chills at -20F to -30F and I've never ridden with heated gear.
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Default NEW ENGLAND

GOTTA LOVE IT ...starting to get a bit chili have to thicken blood...get ready for winter.... coldest ride this fall on the way to work ...
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Don't think all the heated stuff is necessary, but you do need a good leather snowmobile suit. I have ridden in -40 degree temps on a snowmobile and the only thing heated was hand grips and thumb warmers. Rode all day and did 300 miles, sometimes at speeds near 100mph, trails were exccelent. However it was cold, but managable. -40C and -40F are the same temp.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    GOTTA LOVE IT ...starting to get a bit chili have to thicken blood...get ready for winter.... coldest ride this fall on the way to work ...
    This week is looking quite chilly up here as well, snow showers in the forecast for Tuesday night. I'm not putting 'er up until there is enough to plow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by j45p3r View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that you *need* heated gear. It's definitely nice, but not sure it is a necessity. I ride snowmobiles in the winter in Northern Maine and I've ridden at with temps as low as -10F with wind chills at -20F to -30F and I've never ridden with heated gear.
    Your right! heated gear is not really needed, I guess I just spoiled myself using it. I ride snowmobiles too. It's funny though, even in colder temps, riding sleds just feels warmer than being on the open road with the spyder to me. Maybe it's because you kind of get more of a workout busting through wooded snow trails. I hooked up a power connector to my Skidoo Blizzard last winter for my heated liner which I used under my snowmobile jacket and it was at times to hot to keep the power up all the time.