Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S fixing the compressor questions

Ok, my compressor has been out for a while. I figured I'd just run a line direct, but the line from the schrader valve or the air bag wasn't long enough so I got a push connector to join the two together. It works, sort of - the pressure leaks down fairly quickly. Could be the connector, or could be the air bag. But the wife wants to ride, so I need to get this going again. I've got a fernco cap to go under the air bag, and some ride-on to go in it, but I have some questions.

Can I get to the air bag with just pulling the rear wheel or will I need to pull the bags off as well?

I'm thinking it's possible that the compressor still works and just the set screw has fallen out - when I use the switch on the dash, it acts like it's working, it does not display "manual" like the book says it should if the compressor is bad.

If I can replace the compressor with just the wheel out, does anyone have a count of how many compression fittings I'd need and how much air hose? I'll be using my brother's shop and I'd rather not have the tryke sitting there waiting for parts.

Just a thought - When I use the dash switch to set it firmer, I assume it's pumping more air into the bag, and when I set it softer it's letting air out. if I just disconnect the auto-leveling sensor, is it possible to just use the dash switch to set the air pressure?

Thanks for any help.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are many ways to fix the air ride problems...Do a forum search...Below are a few tips and options...Be SURE to replace ALL the push lock fitting with compression fittings...Many on here like the hose from the schrader valve method...I built my own "air on demand" system using the rocker switch and a dash air gauge, used the Viair comp...ITS bullet proof...Plus my system and the Baker system you can air up a tire while out on the road...AND I can adjust the air bag pressure to my exact needs and riding conditions...It's not hard, but a little time consuming...larryd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NR_LY7u8eY&t=249s

Just some additional info on the Baker compressor system. There are two installation videos on youtube.com

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H325EL9pNns
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHcj3TGqhY
    Last edited by larryd; 05-12-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ok, so after watching a few videos, it seems they yes it's possible to do all the work on the compressor by removing the rear tire. You'll just be doing it upside down on your back. Getting the rear luggage off doesn't seem to be all that difficult.

Still not sure how to wire the compressor like you did though, any suggestions? Otherwise I'll have to go with the OEM setup.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Ok, so after watching a few videos, it seems they yes it's possible to do all the work on the compressor by removing the rear tire. You'll just be doing it upside down on your back. Getting the rear luggage off doesn't seem to be all that difficult.

Still not sure how to wire the compressor like you did though, any suggestions? Otherwise I'll have to go with the OEM setup.
    I didn't take any pictures or write any notes...I could do it again from memory...I have talked several forum members thru it...You need to be mechanically and electrically gifted...Taking the rear section of the bike off makes it easier to work on...I find taking the seat off and on is the biggest PIA, along with getting at the rocker switch...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I find taking the seat off and on is the biggest PIA, along with getting at the rocker switch...larryd
    Did you remove the passenger backrest before you removed the seat? That gives you way better access to those wacky seat bolts.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I've removed the seat a time or two - mine had a tear at the end and I picked up a free seat from a 2018 so I swapped them out. A little tape on the bushings before putting them in keeps them in place.

Mechanically gifted isn't an issue, my brother was a professional mechanic with his own shop till he got tired of it. Now he's got a degree in electronics (I think) and works R&D for a tool company. Not sure how much is involved in going your route.

I didn't find any videos of how to get to the air bag, but someone on here has some instructions on installing the rock armor, so at least I've got an idea on that.

I was trying to get a good count of the size and number of compression fittings and the size hose.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    I've removed the seat a time or two - mine had a tear at the end and I picked up a free seat from a 2018 so I swapped them out. A little tape on the bushings before putting them in keeps them in place.

Mechanically gifted isn't an issue, my brother was a professional mechanic with his own shop till he got tired of it. Now he's got a degree in electronics (I think) and works R&D for a tool company. Not sure how much is involved in going your route.

I didn't find any videos of how to get to the air bag, but someone on here has some instructions on installing the rock armor, so at least I've got an idea on that.

I was trying to get a good count of the size and number of compression fittings and the size hose.
    I think it takes 5 straights and 1 90 degree one in the air bag...They all are 1/8" MNPT X 1/4" compression...MALE NATIONAL PIPE THREAD...I like the kind with the nylon type seal on the compression end...Like this @ McMaster-Carr 1/4" 1/8click to learn more about 1/8 Brass 90 psi @ 72° F 51875K61 $3.30

I'd get 6 straights and 2 90 to be safe...
    Last edited by larryd; 05-18-2022 at 08:17 PM.