Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Doing 1st oil change (Spyder RT) I have a few questions (((Pics)))

Is this the engine drain bolt? If so, is it an Allen or? & what size? Looks like an Allen to me TIA

I’m guessing this is the clutch drain plug? Again, what type of fastener is this, Allen or (can’t remember what they’re referred to) ?…and what size please, if you know

2021 Spyder RT Limited. What a bugger of a time I’m having<LOL>. My 2020 Ryker Rally was so much easier to change engine fluid, at least to drain

While I have your collective ears, what are others using to get this beast up in the air for a simple (LOL) oil change? I’m using car ramps on the front wheels. I’m thinking jack stands would be easier. Where are you jacking, and placing the stands if you’re doing it that way. Admittedly, the jack stands I have are in bad shape. Haven’t used them in years, they’re a bit rusted & primarily why I’m using ramps

Cretin Girl in all her glory. FWIW I turned over 3K miles this morning running an errand. Baja Ron’s oil change kit came in the mail yesterday? So, thought I’d do the oil change now while the motor oil is hot

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Life is beautiful
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unless BRP changed them ( and doesn'\t look like it ) ... I'm really sure the HEX bolt is Trans. .... the engine uses T-45 ..... which I swapped for HEX head engine bolt ..... I use ramps for the front and a small Alumin. floor jack for the rear ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2022 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Unless BRP changed them ( and doesn'\t look like it ) ... I'm really sure the HEX bolt is Trans. .... the engine uses T-45 ..... which I swapped for HEX head engine bolt ..... I use ramps for the front and a small Alumin. floor jack for the rear ..... good luck .... Mike

~~~ thanks Mike!, I can figure out what type of socket, etc. to get the proper bite on the bung bolts, what I’m concerned with is verification, so the first pic, is that the engine drain bolt? I ask because the owner’s manual, the tiny line drawing, shows the location of the engine drain, to be adjacent to the center frame rail, whereas the location of the drain bolt that I took the picture of (1st pic), is way over to the outside of the motor. I just want to make sure I have the right bolt to remove (1st pic). That's all I’m asking for, verification of the correct fastener to remove. The owner’s manual totally sucks AFAIC, for a lot of things. Do you understand what I’m asking you? Apologies in advance, my brain resembles smoked meat…I’ve been working too hard in other areas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Go w/the flow
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: whaT & that;s + ... ;-)
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep just did mine 6mm - trans Right side of bike

torx is engine left side of bike

They are on each side of the lower frame rail

Do you have the jack under the shock??
    Last edited by trikermutha; 05-11-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

This should help...

1330 Oil Drain.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I back my RT up the ramps to give me more clearance to work. The back is jacked from the rear end of the frame (by the exhaust springs).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Yep just did mine 6mm - trans Right side of bike

torx is engine left side of bike

Do you have the jack under the shock??

~~~yes, i have a floor jack under the rear shock

Pardon me for appearing to be all too redundant Triker mutha but, the 1st pic I posted, is that the engine drain bolt? Thanking you in advance!!!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RT models for the trans drain are that far over now??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post

~~~yes, i have a floor jack under the rear shock

Pardon me for appearing to be all too redundant Triker mutha but, the 1st pic I posted, is that the engine drain bolt? Thanking you in advance!!!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

No thats the trans bolt 6MM Allen Socket

Be careful jacking that up from the shock it could bend the bolt. I would use the frame

Spyder Garage

Be careful jacking that up from the shock it could bend the bolt. I would use the frame

Very good advise. The lower shock mount is a very tempting place to jack... Don't do it! You'll be sorry....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Turn those ramps around and back onto them and you will gain a lot of extra clearance when you crawl under it. If you don't want to jack up the rear you should still get a good drain.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Just put a piece of wood ... that's wider than the frame TABS , and jack it up this will allow easy removal of the Shock Bolt .... Mike

Spyder Garage

~~~ thanks Mike!, I can figure out what type of socket, etc. to get the proper bite on the bung bolts, what I’m concerned with is verification, so the first pic, is that the engine drain bolt? I ask because the owner’s manual, the tiny line drawing, shows the location of the engine drain, to be adjacent to the center frame rail, whereas the location of the drain bolt that I took the picture of (1st pic), is way over to the outside of the motor. I just want to make sure I have the right bolt to remove (1st pic). That's all I’m asking for, verification of the correct fastener to remove. The owner’s manual totally sucks AFAIC, for a lot of things. Do you understand what I’m asking you? Apologies in advance, my brain resembles smoked meat…I’ve been working too hard in other areas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Go w/the flow
    As I stated, the FIRST pic is the TRANS "hex" bolt ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just put a piece of wood ... that's wider than the frame TABS , and jack it up this will allow easy removal of the Shock Bolt .... Mike
    Thread hijack. Why remove the shock bolt for an oil change? Unless that is just general knowledge for other tasks.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Thread hijack. Why remove the shock bolt for an oil change? Unless that is just general knowledge for other tasks.
    ?????

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Yes just general knowledge for other tasks ..... I like to help as much as possible ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes just general knowledge for other tasks ..... I like to help as much as possible ..... Mike
    Got it. Thanks!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Wow! You guys are amazing!! Okay, I learned a lot reading the replies. So what did Jake learn? Jake learned the the drain bolt on the right side of the trike is the transmission drain and that the engine drain is on the left side. Roger that! Jake also learned that he made a false move by jacking the rear up using the shock bolt. Yes I did that but, thanks to several of you, I won’t do that again. I’ll do like Mike said and that is to slide a two by four that is wider than the frame tabs that surround the rear shock bolt and jack the rear using the frame tabs and not the shock bolt. Roger that.

What else? Several of you (Ray & Ed) said to back up the ramps to gain access, instead of driving the front wheels up the ramps. Roger that, I hear you loud and clear. BTW, I scuttled the oil draining operation Wednesday so that I could let all of this excellent information permeate my smoked meat brain. Thursday is a new day and I will put all of your advice to task today (Thursday), later today. It’s now 2:50 AM Thursday, way too early to start draining oil (for me at least).

I also want to mention Baja Ron posting the pic of the 1330 undercarriage I put a call into Ron about the drain bung locations since I purchased his 1330 oil filter and gasket kit, to replace the OEM oil filter and gaskets, I had a few questions for Ron. Ron sent that pic to my email account so I could better see these two oil drain bungs. Much appreciation Ron!

I really have to hand it to this forum and all that choose to edjumacate Jake so that he carries out his Spyder 1st oil change correctly. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was having a hard time getting all of this info through my thick Dutch skull. That said, I totally understand now

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhoodchildhood
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2022 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Wow!,you ;-)
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Wow! You guys are amazing!! Okay, I learned a lot reading the replies. So what did Jake learn? Jake learned the the drain bolt on the right side of the trike is the transmission drain and that the engine drain is on the left side. Roger that! Jake also learned that he made a false move by jacking the rear up using the shock bolt. Yes I did that but, thanks to several of you, I won’t do that again. I’ll do like Mike said and that is to slide a two by four that is wider than the frame tabs that surround the rear shock bolt and jack the rear using the frame tabs and not the shock bolt. Roger that.

What else? Several of you (Ray & Ed) said to back up the ramps to gain access, instead of driving the front wheels up the ramps. Roger that, I hear you loud and clear. BTW, I scuttled the oil draining operation Wednesday so that I could let all of this excellent information permeate my smoked meat brain. Thursday is a new day and I will put all of your advice to task today (Thursday), later today. It’s now 2:50 AM Thursday, way too early to start draining oil (for me at least).

I also want to mention Baja Ron posting the pic of the 1330 undercarriage I put a call into Ron about the drain bung locations since I purchased his 1330 oil filter and gasket kit, to replace the OEM oil filter and gaskets, I had a few questions for Ron. Ron sent that pic to my email account so I could better see these two oil drain bungs. Much appreciation Ron!

I really have to hand it to this forum and all that choose to edjumacate Jake so that he carries out his Spyder 1st oil change correctly. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was having a hard time getting all of this info through my thick Dutch skull. That said, I totally understand now

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhoodchildhood
    Thank you Jake for taking time and effort to say ... Thanks for everyone's assistance ..... Often times folks ask questions and don't acknowledge the help they received ...... Here's something I didn't mention, you have a 21 so I'm not sure you could even do what I did .... After my first oil change ( on a 14 RT ) I decided to make the next one easier by using a HOLE cutter on the inside " insulated baffle panel ", Now I don't have to remove that to get to the Oil Filter ... I didn't notice any extra heat coming thru not any louder noise ...... have fun .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2022 at 08:58 AM. Reason: hasvefun = have fun?! ;-)

Spyder Garage

To piggyback on the thank you...
    Thank you Jake for asking the exact question(s) that I was going to ask.
    Also, thanks to all that replied with the answers.

I watched a youtube on this and want to double check...
    Do I drain both of these plugs that were discussed above?
    Is engine and transmission one fluid/filter change?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes drain both

You will get a quart or less from the trans and can clean your magnet

Spyder Garage

Yes drain both

You will get a quart or less from the trans and can clean your magnet
    And it is ONE filter change ..... the engine and trans. share the same oil ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Also very important!!!!

Make sure that the torx and hex tools are seated all the way into the socket/plug. If not you will strip it out. Take a small hammer and tap it into the plug, this also helps to break the plug loose.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

For the rear I made a box 7" wide by 12" long using 2x6 and a 1/2" piece of plywood on the bottom. I jack up the Spyder using a harbor freight motorcycle lift with one arm as close to the back of the center frame, but clear of the spring. I then lift it high enough to slide the box under the rear tire and use jack stands under each a arm closest to the tires as possible. lower the lift until the Spyder is resting on all three. This way I don't have to fear a lift frailer, or the Spyder tipping off and gives me plenty of room under.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quick question- Is the oil filter under the right or the left service cover? Just starting to drain the oil (engine side first, as if it makes a difference). My owners manual is a little confusing on this point (which side cover the oil filter access is at) Thanking you in advance!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy
    2020 Rally , Black