~~~51 out of 52 weeks a year

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Might be a bit late on this thread but hang on to those OEM o rings and use them as a reference whenever you change the filter again - measure the new o rings against the old ones to make sure you are not only putting the right o ring where it is supposed to go but also that the new o ring is the same exact size as the OEM one.

Friend of mine bought from a site vendor and it came with the wrong size large o ring. He had oil leaking everywhere upon startup. He couldn't figure out what the problem was until I brought my OEM set over and we compared the size and realized it wasn't the right one.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Might be a bit late on this thread but hang on to those OEM o rings and use them as a reference whenever you change the filter again - measure the new o rings against the old ones to make sure you are not only putting the right o ring where it is supposed to go but also that the new o ring is the same exact size as the OEM one.

Friend of mine bought from a site vendor and it came with the wrong size large o ring. He had oil leaking everywhere upon startup. He couldn't figure out what the problem was until I brought my OEM set over and we compared the size and realized it wasn't the right one.
    Changing " O " rings or washers can be a good thing as long as you get it right ..... however my 14 RT has the same ones for the past 66,000 + miles and no leaks...... I could just be lucky ..... ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've read some riders are not changing those O rings every oil change, maybe even two or three, like you said Mike.

Spyder Garage

I did not change the O-Rings on my 1st oil change. I have a set just in case they were needed. We'll see how it goes at the next oil change.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Filter is behind the right service cover but you need to remove the side panel (two (I think) plastic clips and two or three (old brain) 5mm hex bolts. Glad you got the drain bolt out OK, I had one that they used extra LockTite on and I had to use a hammer and chisel to get the engine drain out. Now has two new Gold plugs (check them out....)
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    Filter is behind the right service cover but you need to remove the side panel (two (I think) plastic clips and two or three (old brain) 5mm hex bolts. Glad you got the drain bolt out OK, I had one that they used extra LockTite on and I had to use a hammer and chisel to get the engine drain out. Now has two new Gold plugs (check them out....)

~~~sorry i missed your post McRuss. Im just seeing it now. Not sure what you mean when you said “Now has two new Gold plugs”. Please explain. Thanking you in advance

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I just changed oil on my 2021 RTL (second oil change) at 5800 miles from the first change---WOW the difference in shifting and clutch operation was really noticeable. I know Can-Am says 9300 miles, but thats too long. I used the LaMonster kit and it took 5.3 qts to put the level slightly above the halfway mark on the stick. A little tip: After removing both drain plugs, leave them open with a wide pan (or 2) while you remove the oil filter--because that causes more dirty oil to come out. Replaced the drain plugs with LaMonster's gold hex heads.
    Another tip: On the right side (clutch), it's easy to get a straight shot at the drain by just unhooking the brake spring,taking the nut thats in the way off the fulcrum lever and pushing the bolt just far enough through to get a straight square shot at the drain. Cheers!
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2024 Triumph Speed 400, blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only thinking out loud here, and not another oil thread, maybe the blend is better for the engine and shifting than full synthetic. BRP must have had a reason.....I'm rethinking my full synthetic, and trying not 'over think' it.

Spyder Garage

Last edited by Mikey; 08-27-2022 at 11:02 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I bought a Manual for my 2011 Spyder RTS .... i have several Manual's for Motor Cycle's I used to own but since sold or traded off..... but the Spyder Manual , the pictures are Really Bad , hard to see what your looking for , and they don't explain what to do , or how to do it ... Your pictures you put on this was Very Very Good , someone should do things like Oil Changes and Tire removal and replacement , and take some clear pictures from a good angle , and plenty of Light , and explain HOW and WHY , and you could have a small Manual made like this and Make some pretty good Money and help us all a Lot..
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    but the Spyder Manual , the pictures are Really Bad , hard to see what your looking for , and they don't explain what to do , or how to do it
    First off, I believe all the BRP manuals you find online are pirate copies. Either the producer is unreachable by law enforcement or BRP turns a blind eye because it's not worth the hassle to them to distribute them officially. The early years' manuals, from what I have seen, were scanned from a genuine factory printed manual. That's why the quality is not good. Beginning about 2013 the producer began using copies of genuine BRP PDF documents. The quality is as good as the printed ones from BRP.

Based on my limited search, no manufacturer, or their authorized manual producers, makes digital copies of factory vehicle service manuals available in any manner any longer. Years ago I bought a genuine factory CD version of the manual for my 2005 Honda Goldwing from Helms. Helms has no digital copies of any automotive service manual available today. If the market was strong enough I'm sure an after market manual producer would come out with BRP manuals, but it's tough to compete with online digital versions for $20 to $30, especially when they are copies of the genuine factory manuals.

It's been stated here that the genuine BRP printed manual for a Spyder costs about $200 to $300 from a dealer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Quick question- Is the oil filter under the right or the left service cover? Just starting to drain the oil (engine side first, as if it makes a difference). My owners manual is a little confusing on this point (which side cover the oil filter access is at) Thanking you in advance!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy
    On my 2014 the oil filter is on the right side.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~sorry i missed your post McRuss. Im just seeing it now. Not sure what you mean when you said “Now has two new Gold plugs”. Please explain. Thanking you in advance

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Gold Plugs is a brand name of replacement engine oil drain plugs with two features. The first is they are magnetic to trap any metal filings that might be in the oil. The second is they all have a standard bolt head, so they all can be removed with a regular socket wrench instead of the oddball hex or torx wrench.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-29-2022 at 09:58 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And 'poof' it isn't there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    And 'poof' it isn't there.
    Huh??
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dang Dave, thinking back I thought I clicked on a link and it had disappeared. My apologies, I dunno, I'm at a loss for my own comment, that's bad......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dang Dave, thinking back I thought I clicked on a link and it had disappeared. My apologies, I dunno, I'm at a loss for my own comment, that's bad......
    I deleted the link since it wasn't working.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I deleted the link since it wasn't working.
    Confusion abated.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete, then I'm not losing my mind, I don't think!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Confusion abated.

Undercover mod

Spyder Garage

Well Bill, you could still be doing that
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 09-01-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right on Paul, that does concern me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    First off, I believe all the BRP manuals you find online are pirate copies. Either the producer is unreachable by law enforcement or BRP turns a blind eye because it's not worth the hassle to them to distribute them officially. The early years' manuals, from what I have seen, were scanned from a genuine factory printed manual. That's why the quality is not good. Beginning about 2013 the producer began using copies of genuine BRP PDF documents. The quality is as good as the printed ones from BRP.

Based on my limited search, no manufacturer, or their authorized manual producers, makes digital copies of factory vehicle service manuals available in any manner any longer. Years ago I bought a genuine factory CD version of the manual for my 2005 Honda Goldwing from Helms. Helms has no digital copies of any automotive service manual available today. If the market was strong enough I'm sure an after market manual producer would come out with BRP manuals, but it's tough to compete with online digital versions for $20 to $30, especially when they are copies of the genuine factory manuals.

It's been stated here that the genuine BRP printed manual for a Spyder costs about $200 to $300 from a dealer.
    Yessssss, and as for myself, there is no way I would ever pay $200 or $300 for a Manual. I have a filing cabinet in my garage at home withmanuals of most motor cycles and most cars and trucks I have ever owned, and none of them was ever more than $50. I mean, if you opened a Spyder Shop, and was gonna hire some Mechanics that were gonna do everything by the book, yes... you need it, but for the common owner and rider of a spyder, thats a little much... JMO
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 10:56 PM. Reason: ' 's %-)
    2011 RTS Spyder