Spyder Garage

Default VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL - Thanks Mike

I had a VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL installed and got my spyder back today. The trip from the shop to home was about 25 miles, adding the Quatrac on the back made a huge difference. I put Quatracs on the front last summer. The bike handles really different with those tires.

Thanks to all for help share knowledge! Listen to the tire recommendations here - they are spot on.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us know! Mine were delivered today and will be mounting them tomorrow!

Can't wait!
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I had a VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL installed and got my spyder back today. The trip from the shop to home was about 25 miles, adding the Quatrac on the back made a huge difference. I put Quatracs on the front last summer. The bike handles really different with those tires.

Thanks to all for help share knowledge! Listen to the tire recommendations here - they are spot on.

Jim
    ... I really appreciate the shout-out .... Peter and I have been sort of on a campaign to get all Spyder riders onto Auto tires .... they are much safer, better handling, more comfortable and last longer ..... PS I hope your not over-inflating them ?????? ..... Thanks agian .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Now Mike if you would go to BRP and knock some sense in their heads and tell them to let our dealers mount tires for us, that would be great!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Where did you purchase your Tires?

Jim
    Tell us where you purchased the Tires. Maybe the price and who installed them. Also the size of your choice. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I really appreciate the shout-out .... Peter and I have been sort of on a campaign to get all Spyder riders onto Auto tires .... they are much safer, better handling, more comfortable and last longer ..... PS I hope your not over-inflating them ?????? ..... Thanks agian .... Mike
    Mike:

Running 18 in the front - how about the back? I will check what the installer set them at.

Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, I'd love to find an installer in the area.

Bill
    2020 RTL
    Sebring, FL

Spyder Garage

Mike:

Running 18 in the front - how about the back? I will check what the installer set them at.

Jim
    Peter and I like 18 PSI +/- one..... and I use 17 psi front because I ride aggressive in the twistie's .... but for a bit more comfort 15 psi front works well ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Now Mike if you would go to BRP and knock some sense in their heads and tell them to let our dealers mount tires for us, that would be great!!!
    BRP has such a " sweet heart " deal with Kenda .... it's never going to happen ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

So went down the road of mounting the new tires this afternoon.

The front tires were easy, popped right off and tossed them on the tire machine and we were off to the races. Each balanced with less than 1oz and Road force was 1 and 3 which was spectacular.

That is where things took a turn. We got the caliper off and the axle pulled, that's when i discovered that we had a difference in the YouTube videos I watched.

The rear rim on my 2020 RTL is all one piece. You can remove the rotor and the belt pulley, but the bearings are pressed in, and you cannot unbolt the extension piece.

So that meant there was no way to get it onto the tire machine or balancer, so we resorted to cave man tactics and cut the tire off and mounted the new tire by hand. We took a chance based on barely any weight required on the fronts that we would just wing it and put no weight on the back.

Got everything reassembled and torqued up and took it for a ride down the road and it was magical. Got it up the 80mph, and had zero vibration. My vibrating mirrors (even with the BRP fix) stopped vibrating, it was smooth and squishy like riding on a cloud, even over the occasional pot hole as the snow plow damage hasn't been repaired yet. I should have swapped out the Kenda's long ago.

Bought the tires from Tire Rack and got them the next day.

Fronts - 165/60R15 Vredestein Quatrac
    Rear - 205/60R15 Vredestein Quatrac

Running 16psi in the Fronts, and 18psi in the rear based on Mikes recommendation on another thread.

In my 5k miles I have averaged 31mph so no spirited riding here, just moseying around town and the tri-state area
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL , There is no QUATRAC SL tire. SL stands for standard load as in 35psi inflation pressure.
    Do not get confused by this call.
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL , There is no QUATRAC SL tire. SL stands for standard load as in 35psi inflation pressure.
    Do not get confused by this call.
    T.P.
    .... ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Oh yeah, I'd love to find an installer in the area.

Bill
    2020 RTL
    Sebring, FL

~~~it’s my understanding Pep Boys will install car tires on your Spyder rims but bring the wheels only to them, not your Spyder, so you will have to remove your wheels yourself. Also, might be a good idea not to mention your wheels are off a motorcycle. Some have said if they ask what the wheels are from, the reply is kit car

HTH

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~it’s my understanding Pep Boys will install car tires on your Spyder rims but bring the wheels only to them, not your Spyder, so you will have to remove your wheels yourself. Also, might be a good idea not to mention your wheels are off a motorcycle. Some have said if they ask what the wheels are from, the reply is kit car

HTH

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    Since both the wheels and the car tires absolutely match each other ( ie. " J " type ) which is standard for auto's ) ... they shouldn't even ask .... however bring in three tires will raise an eye-brow ..... then say you have a Morgan replica .... IMHO I seriously doubt many CanAm dealers actually own a Hydraulic tire change machine, they are expensive and if not used regularly it doesn't make financial sense. ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-15-2022 at 10:53 PM.