Spyder Garage

Default Left Side Saddlebag Stuck closed - how to access the cable to replace them?

I've adjusted the junky cable several times ! First it would not stay closed. Then wouldn't open. Now, the junky cable is frozen and won't adjust anymore! Probably rusted. The door will not open and I don't want to break the latch. I think I read something about replacing with stainless cables. Help.... 2020 Spyder RT Limited, how do you get to the cable to replace them? Warranty expired, can't go that route.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2022 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Removed superfluous C/r's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Have you tried pushing in on the door. Sometimes that takes enough pressure off the latch that it will release.
    As to accessing the cable, you would have to remove the body panels from around the bag and I think some of the torx/push plns are located under the lip of the door. I know it's frustating. Hopefully someone more familiar with the new body style will chime in. Have you looked on YouTube for a video on the latches? Maybe some help there. Good luck.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Pegasus is right, try pusing on the door (w/ your thigh) and try opening it that way. If that doesn't work, you can take the rear seat off exposing two torx head screws holding the trim piece in place under the passenger grab bar. After removing them, wiggle out the trim and you sould be able to see the rail that holds the latches to the saddlebag door. I think you can move them with a screwdriver or a stiff length of wire.

Beyond that, you have to remove the trim that goes all the way around the saddlebag or work upside-down in an opening about 4"x8" from under the front of the saddlebag; AND YES, it is frustrating, especially w/ the antenna. There are videos showing the removal of that/those panels on the internet ( if I remember right, I used one on installation of lighted sidemarker lights as my guide).

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

simple to open a stuck latch on the 2020RT. Remove rear passenger seat, remove the small trim pieces around rear grab handles(2 screws), reach in and activate the latch by hand(push towards front of trike). Mine were stuck from all the dust building up around the latches. Clean the latches with degreaser and re-lube with DRY LUBE.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Have your Dealer look up TST138444.
    Supposedly it's a BRP fix for a known issue. New parts I believe.
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

Minor adjustment. Lie down so you can see the cable from below the saddlebag. There is an adjuster; loosen the lock ring, turn the adjuster counterclockwise 1 revolution, tighten the lock ring. Open saddlebag.
    Cables stretch. Not a big deal. If it is rusty or corroded, have dealer replace the cable. Lube is good, too. Call me if you need help. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Minor adjustment. Lie down so you can see the cable from below the saddlebag. There is an adjuster; loosen the lock ring, turn the adjuster counterclockwise 1 revolution, tighten the lock ring. Open saddlebag.
    Cables stretch. Not a big deal. If it is rusty or corroded, have dealer replace the cable. Lube is good, too. Call me if you need help. Joe
    Thanks