Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 Seasons, 4200 miles, and a Green Check Mark!

Here's the oil analysis report for my RTS. I've run the oil for two years but only about 4200 miles. All looks good and much the same as previous analyses. The primary take away for me is that mileage is a lot more important for determining oil change intervals than is calendar time. Time, in of itself does not cause oil to deteriorate, mileage does.

From the report.
    DIAGNOSIS
    All wear rates normal. Abrasive and other contaminant
    levels are acceptable. Viscosity within specified
    operating range. Action: Resample next
    recommended service interval to further monitor.
    Oil Analysis April 2022 p 1a.jpg

Oil Analysis April 2022 p 2a.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Samples

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's the oil analysis report for my RTS. I've run the oil for two years but only about 4200 miles. All looks good and much the same as previous analyses. The primary take away for me is that mileage is a lot more important for determining oil change intervals than is calendar time. Time, in of itself does not cause oil to deteriorate, mileage does.

From the report.

The reason I am doing oil changes at BRP 9300 Miles.
    Engine/Trans oil samples. Do your homework and find out for sure. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting IdahoMtn, thanks for sharing that post. I've often wondered about about the oil breakdown if ya did not change at one year. I did not change my 2020 RTL oil until 15 months and I did not decern any change with the sound of the engine or shifting. Some like to use the popcorn emogi on the oil threads, I find them interesting read them all, but that's just me.

Spyder Garage

Yup .. I always scratch my head when somebody dumps out perfectly good 2000 mile oil at the end of a riding season.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

That seems like a lot of FE as compared to my old Monaco motorhome with 200,000 miles on it. The FE with 16,000 miles on the oil was 28 and that is with a 5.9L turbo charged motor running 30PSI...
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

From the report.

I am glad you posted your findings. Our Spyder was in the shop a lot over the past year and we only put 3300 miles on it since June 2021. Since it is such an expensive oil change, I hate to have it done just based on the calendar.

I am curious if I would get the same test results or if these results would bike specific?

Where could I have my oil tested?
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    I am curious if I would get the same test results or if these results would bike specific?

Where could I have my oil tested?
    The results for other Spyder RT 1330 enginess probably would be somewhat the same, but the exact results depend on a lot of variables, of which none will be the same for any two bikes. Factors are oil brand, mileage, engine condition, how well the oil was stirred up in the engine, and who knows what else!

There are three things I don't know about the analysis. One, the values for new oil; two, what the acceptable, or good, levels are for the values; and three, how much the good range values are adjusted by the lab and engine industry for each specific oil, mileage, and engine. I just trust the lab, when they give good or other rating, that based on the large database they have generated or obtained the rating is a reliable measure of the oil and engine condition.

An easy way to get the analysis done is buy a kit from your local NAPA auto parts store. Instructions are included.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Very interesting IdahoMtn, thanks for sharing that post. I've often wondered about about the oil breakdown if ya did not change at one year. I did not change my 2020 RTL oil until 15 months and I did not decern any change with the sound of the engine or shifting. Some like to use the popcorn emogi on the oil threads, I find them interesting read them all, but that's just me.
    Yup, the car manuals have said that for years. Now I'm no oil expert, but here's what my simple cowboy logic leads me to believe about that: those manuals are talking about OIL but we MC riders nowadays mostly use SYNTHETIC.

Is it logical to apply the same old rules to BOTH of them?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Part of going longer is making sure you bring it in on the last ride good and warm so all the moisture evaporates.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Actually, the single most important factor for changing oil is that lab report, as it is 100% definitive of the oils condition. With that said, trying to run an extended drain interval without analysis is akin to Russian Roulette, because sooner or later you'll get bit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtied View Post
    Actually, the single most important factor for changing oil is that lab report, as it is 100% definitive of the oils condition...
    ! I believe the Rotax engineers knew exactly what they were doing when they gave us the 9,300 mile oil change interval. Lab reports I've received show essentially what Mac's did. I would not consider exceeding the 9,300 more than a couple hundred and that would be because I was almost home from a long tour. To go any farther/longer I would prefer to see the engine have one of those fancy systems on expensive foreign cars but, with BRP, the price would probably be half the cost of another Spyder for such an option.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Oil Samples

...The real reason for all this oil sample business is three fold.

1. Know what 'Quality Oils' are about.
    2. Understand what 'wear life' is on your Oil.
    3. Helps you find out about a potential problem.

Sooooooo, if you want to know more, you can do what I do.
    Oil Samples are a service tool for Your Spyder Engine/Transmission.

As they say 'Pay me 'a little' now or it may cost 'a lot' later!

Your Spyder so you do as you like.
    Enjoy your Ryde Time.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2022 at 08:12 AM. Reason: alot - a lot ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue