Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Your battery is shot. When you hit the starter button the output voltage drops below 10.5. At that point all the computers go bonkers and the engine won't even turn over. Not like the good old days when a half-dead battery would still crank over the motor.
    The battery test low 11’s, dealer said bring the battery in. Showed them a video and said 95% chance it’s the battery. Since we have a warranty, they have to test the battery
    Last edited by cwhowardjr17; 05-12-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Took it to the dealer, they tested it at 10.7 in front of me. Got a new battery and didn’t fix it. I’m gonna check fuses in the AM
    Last edited by cwhowardjr17; 05-12-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here's what my manual says regarding battery testing: hope it helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cwhowardjr17 View Post
    Took it to the dealer, they tested it at 10.7 in front of me. Got a new battery and didn’t fix it. I’m gonna check fuses in the AM
    The only thing I can figure at this point it the new battery is also bad. Dealers have been known to not properly prepare a battery for use. In fact, some dealers take a battery out of a new Spyder and install one they have charged ahead of time. Maybe your "new" battery actually came out of a Spyder that sat in a crate for months and then was not properly prepped. Just to be "damn sure" I would get a load test done on your replacement battery.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

with all that, especially if the 'new battery' wasn't put on a charger for at least 8-12 hours before installation... . Altho I would add that in my experience with quite a few Spyders now, even tho it would be considered OK for most other applications, because our Spyders are so Power Hungry on start-up, 10.7 volts is marginal at best!

Due to the number of Spyders I've seen with these 'no start' issues even tho their batteries retain 10.7 volts WHILE CRANKING & trying to start, these days I look for & recommend that you use 12 volts as the minimum charge under Load/whilst cranking - anything LESS than 12 volts in your battery while cranking & your Spyder has a fairly high potential for this sort of failure to start &/or run.

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2022 at 11:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the help. Going to my first Spyder Rider's meeting tomorrow, maybe ill get some answers then. Not gonna mess with it today, wife is off. I'll keep you all posted.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll just add that in the eight years I've been here on the forum no other cause has ever been discovered that causes the cluster to go bonkers and the bike not start other than a bad battery. And, the issue has come quite a number of times.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Got the cam am to the shop yesterday. They told me that it’s not the battery. They are trying the find the reason for the VSS fault.

Spyder Garage

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but ask the dealer if your Spyder is under a recall. my dealer just did an ECM flash on my 21 RTL under warranty for hard/no start problems. I was not experiencing any problems.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2022 at 06:10 PM. Reason: an.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

They already did the ECM flash. They are gonna call BRP Tuesday. The guy overseeing the bike is a retired electronic engineer. He’s thinking it maybe the ECM. He wants to make sure before he gives out the only one in their inventory
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: there - their ;-)

Spyder Garage

I forgot to put a status of this issue. The problem was part of the wiring harness that goes to the ECM. They repaired the wiring and Its all good now.