Spyder Garage

Exclamation Monster Fuel Injection Stage 2 Warning

I went to the dealership service center today and did not flash back to the original ECU mapping from the Monster Fuel Injection Stage 2 since I was in a rush, routinely the service center will plug the bike into BUDS, many error codes were returned from BUDS and the technician said "whatever the guy did is messing your bike up and will cost you more money in the long run", this worries me as most of what this dealership/technicians has told me overtime has been great information and they have done a great job on my bike for every install/service. Video shows the codes below:
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo1122 View Post
    I went to the dealership service center today and did not flash back to the original ECU mapping from the Monster Fuel Injection Stage 2 since I was in a rush, routinely the service center will plug the bike into BUDS, many error codes were returned from BUDS and the technician said "whatever the guy did is messing your bike up and will cost you more money in the long run", this worries me as most of what this dealership/technicians has told me overtime has been great information and they have done a great job on my bike for every install/service. Video shows the codes below: .....
    Well Monster Fuel has done probably over 100 Spyders according to others on this site ..... and so far I haven't read about any issues.... Over the past 13 years with various Spyders,. I have learned NOT to trust Dealer Techs .... Remember most Dealers will tell you " Kenda " are the best and only tires your Spyder should have ...I'll bet I have had more training on Tires than all the Dealers combined ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2022 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

That eases my worries, thank you Mike.
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Waldo, the way I understand this (& this is by no means my area of expertise, so please forgive me if I get some of the specifics wrong - I'm just an 'End tune User', not a tuner or particularly skilled in how they do their job &/or explaining any of that! So the following is just my vaguely educated users way of explaining it all ) is that basically what's happening to your Spyder right now is precisely why sending your ECU off & getting all the necessary tables etc hard coded is better than the temporary/adjustable method of flashing it & intercepting & replacing or maybe just adding a preset finangle factor to vary all the control signals your ECU sends .....

With the hard coding ECU Upgrade method, all the necessary tables are upgraded/modified so that none of those errors can occur, because the sensors are sending in their readings in & the ECU is responding to them in exactly the manner it has to due to that hard coding, so there's no errors to report - your engine (well, in this case, my engine, not yours ) just runs a helluva lot better than the techs would normally expect, [I]IF they even notice it &/or can even tell![/I]

However, because you left the flash tune active, your flash tune is still effectively intercepting some or all of those signals & it's then adjusting some outputs &/or causing some components to respond/perform differently to what the ECU expects; &/or it's ignoring either the ECU output or the sensor input and instead of using the ECU's hard coded tables, it forces the operation of the engine to use of the flash tables instead - only the ECU & some/all the other computers can detect this, hence the error messages!! Sure, if you turn the flash off & let everything work off the standard ECU tables, you shouldn't get all those error messages; but every time you run off the flash tables instead of the ECU it'll be racking up some of those messages somewhere.... And the Techs can only see them as failures of the engine/control system to run as it/they should in accordance to the hard coded (standard, one size might fit most) tables, cos their s/ware (BUDS or whatever) hasn't been designed to read any of the flash info!

That's not necessarily saying the Upgrade flash tables you're running/that you've got are bad, cos a good tuner should be able to create tables that are waaayyy more suited to the majority of YOUR riding & the conditions you ride in rather than relying on the 'one set of parameters will maybe work OK for most of these engines wherever they are used anywhere around the World' tables that the ECU leaves the factory with, so I'd expect the flash tune you have is still going to be better for your engine within those bounds than the std ECU tune allows... and that's definitely supported by the info in Mike's post above.

BUT, there's a distinct possibility that at times your engine will be generating at least some of those error messages over time (maybe only when BUDS is connected?? ) and the various computers &/or Control Systems WILL try to 'clear &/or fix' those if at all possible within the bounds of their programming/logic circuits - and who knows WHAT that'll end up doing in the long run!

Apologies if any of the above's not specifically correct or exactly the way it works, but as I said, I'm just an End User who happens to have a fair bit of experience in using these ECU Upgrades & Flash Tunes in their various forms, and the above is simply my attempt at para-phrasing what the experts told me when I had these sort of issues & passing it on/explaining that in terms which most of us should be able to understand about the differences between the 2 methods that are creating this problem for Waldo & maybe also for other users of those 'not hard coded' temporary or switchable flash tunes.... Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2022 at 12:39 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went to the dealership service center today and did not flash back to the original ECU mapping from the Monster Fuel Injection Stage 2 since I was in a rush, routinely the service center will plug the bike into BUDS, many error codes were returned from BUDS and the technician said "whatever the guy did is messing your bike up and will cost you more money in the long run", this worries me as most of what this dealership/technicians has told me overtime has been great information and they have done a great job on my bike for every install/service. Video shows the codes below: ......

Did you have any fault/ limp home indicator warning lights on dash?
    I too have the Monster Fuel Injection stage 1.
    I also have Buds and have seen the error codes displayed when I checked.
    I don’t think there’s reason for alarm………if you see the warning lights on the dash illuminated…….then worry.��
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2022 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Did you have any fault/ limp home indicator warning lights on dash?
    I too have the Monster Fuel Injection stage 1.
    I also have Buds and have seen the error codes displayed when I checked.
    I don’t think there’s reason for alarm………if you see the warning lights on the dash illuminated…….then worry.��
    Hey Chris,
    Are the error codes only there with the stage 1 flash loaded, or do they still show if flashed back to the stock map?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I haven't had any issues with the bike or anything, the technician just happened to point that out, but this is the only time he did since this is the only time I've left the tune on.
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I haven't had any issues with the bike or anything, the technician just happened to point that out, but this is the only time he did since this is the only time I've left the tune on.
    with Peter's analysis and would like to Add that I'm pretty sure the BUDS that BRP uses to test has the ... STOCK - OEM settings programmed in ..... sooooooo any deviation from those is going to trigger an issue. ...... good luck .... IMHO I think Monster Fuel knows what they've created ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I've had the Monster Stage 2 for over a year and have not had any error codes. Of course there is the possibility that the errors shown above are not due to the flash but to something else going on with the bike.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I've had the Monster Stage 2 for over a year and have not had any error codes. Of course there is the possibility that the errors shown above are not due to the flash but to something else going on with the bike.
    I've had the Stage 1 tune for well over a year with no problems at all. ( other than the creases from smiling so much) The has been to the BRP shop and they said Nothing about the tune or codes.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Hey Chris,
    Are the error codes only there with the stage 1 flash loaded, or do they still show if flashed back to the stock map?
    I had them show up in the stock OEM ECU setup…….no dash lights…….just cleared them and thought of them as erroneous.
    I believe they may be generated by initial key on self test of all the modules communicating……maybe generated by key on, key off cycling…….not doing a complete boot up.
    I had one show up after the Stage 1 install.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't see any problems here. I have BUDS and am on my 2nd RTL with the Monster Stage 1 flash. In your video you'll see that ALL of those faults are "occurred" faults, not "active" faults. "Occurred" faults stay in memory even after they are erased using BUDS. They will show up again the next time BUDS is used. Only one of them was reported by the ECU, which contains the "flashed" files. Most of them involve "lost communication" faults, which can happen simply by disconnecting/re-connecting the battery, which means they could have been done by the dealer during initial setup. The dealer should have given you a printed copy of the Service Report (usually about 7 pages). You could use this to compare the next time it's hooked up to BUDS.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red