Spyder Garage

Default Missing belt guard installation - should it touch the belt at all?

to anyone who has installed this belt guard. i installed this guard as per instructions. lining it up with the edge of the swing arm.after removing the cardboard spacer, the guard rubbed the belt. i was very careful lining it up. so after removing it and tediously removing the double face tape, i tried multiple practice installations, no wiggle room what so ever. maybe i am being too ODC about this installation. i thought i had it right and applied another double face piece. just barely missing the belt. then i noticed the front of the guard barely missing the belt. the instruction mention that it should be farther away from the belt than the rear by design.having the belt guard touching the belt at the rear bothers me because when the bike is put into reverse it could snag the guard. the only reason i bought the guard is because i have a 200 foot gravel driveway and my friends live out in the country as well. and have gravel driveways. maybe i am over thinking this. this is the SPYDER POPS. belt guard.
    Last edited by rugercharger; 05-07-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Need more info. What is the belt guard you are talking about?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I too had trouble with the fit/installation of the Spyder Pops belt guard.
    For my F3T, with the large sprocket, the SP Guard was too short. As installed
    the bottom edge of the SP Guard was nearly inside the track of the belt. I removed the guard
    and all of the sticky tape. I bought a sheet of aluminum and plan to use the SpyderPops
    guard as a pattern to make a new guard. The new guard will be 1 to 2" deeper than the SP Guard
    so that it will not impinge on or be in any way inside the belt path in forward or reverse.
    Haven't decided on mounting by tape or screws.
    Looks like a project for this coming week.

Further info: https://customspyderworks.com/inspec...for-spyder-st/
    Last edited by Haze; 05-07-2022 at 09:47 PM.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just looked at mine for the first time in years. From about the front of the tire it's gone! It was rubbing against the belt for 37,000 + miles and caused no problem. I wouldn't worry about a little bit of rubbing other than it will in time wear away the guard. The belt movement back and forth sideways makes it almost impossible to not have the guard rub on it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just installed that guard on my 2020; yup, it rubs...., and I'm not gonna worry about it. IMO, if the belt is tough enough to withstand all the tension & torque put on it, it'll clearance itself on a flimsy piece of plastic.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I bought the wrong belt guard(my bad) and also used it as a pattern to make an aluminum guard and installed it with 3 self tapping 1/4 in screws and came out nice.
    One little secret if you buy/use heat treated aluminum sheets(T6) is to untemper it by heating it up with a map torch, is to use a Sharpe marker and put lines across it. Heat the aluminum up until the lines disappear.
    If you don't take the temper out, it will fracture in the 90 degree bends.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.