Spyder Garage

Exclamation Spyder back in the shop again - more Can-trash Faulty Parts!

Here goes my Spyder back into the shop once again because ANOTHER part has broken due to manufactur defect that Can-Am of course didn't bother producing a solution for or figuring out why the issue occurs in the first place or just simply MAKING ENOUGH PARTS TO GO AROUND!

Just 2 weeks ago I had a warrenty claim for the Hydraulic Control Unit breaking totaling $3500 thanks Can-Am, now the multi function switch has broken not even a month later, thanks Can-Am.

Now my bike will sit in the shop for eternity for a part that will likely never be made just like the F3 heated grips. 20220506_233009.jpg 20220506_233022.jpg 20220506_233104.jpg
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Am with you on some points, but as with every machine, if it has moving parts then it WILL break down at some point; and on a global scale, parts are scarce. For example, I ordered a New Electric Mini for delivery in week 22, only now they've postponed it until week 37... and that's not final either....

Consider it bad luck that you have had two major failures in a short time. I for one am enjoying my Spyder to the bone. Yes, it has it's quirks, but overall it's a well designed machine. Never had any problem whatsoever with it; now have 15000 km's on the odometer; bought it new from the dealer; this thursday it's gonna get a service, a new tyre, and new brake pads; and it should be good to go....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2022 at 01:09 AM.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

now the multi function switch has broken not even a month later

What failure happened on your multiswitch? If it's the paddle shifters and downshifting/reverse, there seems to be a few of those lately on here. Including mine. Just curious.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It was the paddle shifters and downshifting/reverse. Service center said it has shipped and should arrive by Wednesday, hopefully so I can enjoy Myrtle Beach bike week with a working reverse.
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo1122 View Post
    It was the paddle shifters and downshifting/reverse. Service center said it has shipped and should arrive by Wednesday, hopefully so I can enjoy Myrtle Beach bike week with a working reverse.
    I'm having the same problem with my 2018 RT Limited. I've been waiting since last Oct for the left hand multi function switch and right now I'm being told it will be released in July. That is a known issue with the 2018 RT and F3.

2018 LH switch bulletin pg 1..jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2020RT no issues whats so ever

Other than the vibrating side mirrors
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGoldwingOwner View Post
    2020RT no issues whats so ever

Other than the vibrating side mirrors
    Knock on some wood, fast!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I ordered the switch and plan on replacing it myself when it does arrive, so I did a little research. I found this Shawn Smoak youtube vid where he talks about replacing the cluster/multi-switch. Fast forward to about the 8:08 mark for this topic. Apparently the connector has to be de-pinned to pass through a frame hole. Not super difficult to do, but it makes me scratch my head on the design...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFoFIGbpcCI
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I too am questioning the design and want to find out why the unit fails. I will be taking the bad unit home after repair to try to diagnose the issue. Would help a lot of people if the issue can just be repaired rather than replaced with another unit that probably has the same manufacturer defect.
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I too am questioning the design and want to find out why the unit fails. I will be taking the bad unit home after repair to try to diagnose the issue. Would help a lot of people if the issue can just be repaired rather than replaced with another unit that probably has the same manufacturer defect.
    If this is a warranty I doubt the Dealer will give it to you ..... BRP wants all those parts to check for damage ..... jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It'll be interesting to know what you find, but don't be surprised if it's the bubble switches on or the firmware in the printed circuit board. If it's the latter you'll have no way to determine that, nor fix it. From all the comments I've read I think it's a firmware issue, not a physical problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I will never own a vehicle, Spyder or other wise, without a warranty in place! Too complicated, and way too expensive to fix!! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL