Spyder Garage

Default Weak brakes! Stock Ryker brakes suck - Any other calipers fit?

Stock brakes suck. There, I've said it ...

Big improvement after replacing the stock pads with EBC green sintered shoes, but ...

Any other calipers fit?

PS - I cooked the stock brakes on my Yamaha Royal Star first time thru the Tail of the Dragon. Replaced those with R6 calipers and a Honda VTX master cylinder capable of juicing them bad boys up. Night and day difference - bulletproof no matter how hard I was on em. So ... hopefully some closet mechanic has come up with something. I'm assUming something built to deal with a lot more weight.

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I'm not trying to know it all (only enough to read manuals) but what I've read on the web is that Dot 5.1 would work great for some serious hard braking.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2022 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spaces ;-)

Spyder Garage

Only real difference between the two is the boiling point, so dot 5.1 will suck just as bad under normal operating conditions. The stock brakes will suck just as bad until failure. The operative word here would be "suck" with either fluid. After driving with real brakes on other bikes, I'd almost feel more confident dragging my feet rather than depend on the stock setup.

And ya ... I've done a complete flush, so no worries about water in the system, a common problem with any brake fluid as it ages.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Stock brakes suck. There, I've said it ...

Yes bigger brake discs and stickier pads will help but keep in mind that new brakes need to be “bedded in” for maximum braking ability. I won’t go into details here, too long, but just Google “bedding in brakes”. I’m a nutshell, gotta get the discs and the pads hot enough to deposit pad material into the pores of the brake disc. But not too hot!

Spyder Garage

Just the ability to adjust pedal pressure would be a BIG help.

One nice OEM touch is the brake lines. Don't look like they'd have much expansion under load like the old rubber balloons I regularly had to replace with braided SS lines so half the pedal pressure didn't have to go to inflating the lines, leaving the calipers having to work with whatever was left. (mutter mumble)

I LIKE BIG BRAKES and I cannot lie
    I LIKE BIG BRAKES, and I don't know why! <G>

Spyder Garage

Check out one of Martin Slovakia's videos.
    If I remember right, he was showing a new brake system he was involved with.

Spyder Garage

Martin has a set for the spyder, not ryker, quite expensive tho, Spyder brakes are good outta the box, just need to replace pads, (when worn), with EBC brand, they are way better as stock pads..
    Dunno bout the ryker, but imho, BRP likes good brakes
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Wow, you got a bike that don't weight a whole heck of a lot, you have swapped the brake pads out to the green EBC pads, bedded them the way they tell you to, and your still not happy? Have you swapped out the rotors to EBC also? I am amazed that you are not standing that darn thing on its nose, but of coarse the brakes are valved so you can't really do that! Your only going to be able to improve your brakes to the point of dragging a tire then what good is that? The bike don't weight that much! maybe you can readjust the valving some how!! Good luck!! Maybe give EBC a call and see if they can come up with a different package for your speed demand self!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Not to get ahead of ourselves here, but. Just installed the EBC pads all around, and without ever proper bedding (not that many miles on the rotors anyway) difference was immediately apparent. One happy camper if this is as good as they get.

Only complaint with the EBC pads is they throw a lot of dust, so you need to clean that off. Cosmetic, and the softer compound is why they grip so good. Had the same thing with my vMax clutches - wear the Barnett upgrades to nothing in no time. Slip shifting at high rrrrrrrr's will do that) <G>

Spyder Garage

Me thinks, changing the rotors to EBC brand, will do the trick for you, don't know what calipers are used on the ryker, but my spyder has brembo's, and they make me stop on a dime, I replaced the stock pads and rotors with EBC ones, and they work.

But even the best brakes will cook, when driving like a Maniac... ghegheghe, mine were worn @6200km's, now ebc's are running strong @15500 km's, and I drive the F3 as a Maniac... hahahaha
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Not looking for OMG I"M GONNA DIE! braking - just something that feels "right" for want of a better word. The pads as mentioned are a BIG improvement, smooth but solid. Next step, being the rotors if they're available. LaMonster lists them at $200 a pair for the Spyder ... I dropped an email asking about it's lil brother. Good investment I'd think.

Spyder Garage

Stopping power is always a good investment, Going fast is no problem, with every machine nowadays, but stopping is... Some folks put alotta Hp's in a car or motorcycle and forget bout the drivetrain, and brakes, It's just hazardous...

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Can you give me a part number for the e b c green sintered brake pads for a 2022 ryker sport 900?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker01 View Post
    Can you give me a part number for the e b c green sintered brake pads for a 2022 ryker sport 900?
    Tucker, your best bet for that info will probably be to ring or email BajaRon via the info from his Forum Vendor thread, quoted here:

Contact and Purchase Information ~
    The best way to Ask Questions or Purchase is to contact me by email at fyredad@hotmail.com OR call me at 423-609-7588
    And you can always PM me here at Spyderlovers.com, though email or a phone call will usually get a faster response.
    Or maybe not so quick but possibly more to your liking, you could PM him here on the Forum (BajaRon is his username ) or you could try his faceache page as shown in the first post of his vendor thread here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

FA135 front
    FA165 front
    FA317R (rear)

(same all years)

Right happy with just the pads. Whole lot more positive grip all around, and no detectable fade. So far, all I see is solid discs aftermarket - I might be tempted if somebody comes out with vented versions though.

PS - looks like SM has the "red" version, which is more for off road use? Maybe they can chime in on that.
    Last edited by sKiZo; 05-21-2022 at 09:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

FA135 front
    FA165 front
    FA317R (rear)

(same all years)

Right happy with just the pads. Whole lot more positive grip all around, and no detectable fade. So far, all I see is solid discs aftermarket - I might be tempted if somebody comes out with vented versions though.

PS - looks like SM has the "red" version, which is more for off road use? Maybe they can chime in on that.
    Solid rotors will give you smoother, quieter and better braking than drilled rotors. The down side is that they don't look as cool as drilled rotors.

You are losing friction material when you drill holes in the rotor. Some rotors as much as 15% (not sure about the Ryker). And drilled rotors run about the same temperature as solid rotors. Drilled rotors are more effective in the rain than solid rotors. But you don't usually need (or want) huge clamping power in the rain. Smooth rotors on the Ryker would still give you all the braking you can afford to use on a wet road.

Vented rotors would be extremely heavy and require an entire revamp of the caliper system. Not to mention expensive.

(NOTE We have started carrying the Bike Master pads for the Ryker. We have been impressed with them and so have our customers. Something to consider....)
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-28-2022 at 08:01 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you kind sir.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know how much torque to tighten the front brake caliper?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sungate View Post
    Does anyone know how much torque to tighten the front brake caliper?
    Screenshot from 2022-05-28 15-19-36.png
    Screenshot from 2022-05-28 15-19-46.jpg
    Last edited by festus; 06-06-2022 at 06:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

Rule of thumb ... tighten a bolt until just before it snaps off ... ;-}

PS - on the shoes. Recently found out EBC uses a special coating on their shoes to give you instant grip out of the box. That coating wears fast, but is enough to give you extra stopping power until the pads break into the rotors properly. Nice feature, that ... supposed to be on a par with the actual pad material it is.

Spyder Garage

Rule of thumb ... tighten a bolt until just before it snaps off ... ;-}

PS - on the shoes. Recently found out EBC uses a special coating on their shoes to give you instant grip out of the box. That coating wears fast, but is enough to give you extra stopping power until the pads break into the rotors properly. Nice feature, that ... supposed to be on a par with the actual pad material it is.

My lifetime rule of thumb has been tighten until it snaps off, so I like your approach better. I thought the brakes were pretty good on my 2021 900, and I haven't been scared too much yet. Of course, everything is relative. I'm comparing the brakes to my previous 2004 Dyna Wide Glide, and you can imagine who the winner is.
    -2021 Ryker 900