Spyder Garage

Default Need to Wire an RT-622 from 9 Pin Round to 4 Pin Flat?

I picked up a 2010 RT-622. It needs some work especially on the wiring. It has the 9 pin round connector on the trailer and my 2017 RTL has the 4 pin flat connector wire harness installed. I am seeing horror stories about converting the trailer to a 4 pin flat. Not sure how to do it. I'm not an electrician by any means. I have tested the wiring from the Spyder and everything is operating as designed. I have removed the 9 Pin round connector from the trailer wire harness and have labeled each wire per the wiring diagram. Of the 9 pins, only 7 have wires of which only 6 are active.

Here is the wiring arrangement:
    1. Ground = Black
    2. Running Lights = Brown
    3. Right Brake = Red
    4. Left Brake = Orange
    5. Back-Up Lights (Not Used) = Yellow
    6. Right Turn = Green
    7. Left Turn = Blue

The 4 Pin connector I'm going to splice in to the trailer wiring is a standard one with : White to Ground, Brown to Running Lights, Yellow to Left Turn and Green to Right Turn. I hope someone knows how to or has a wiring diagram that I could use. If I need some other part for this please include the part number or where to purchase it.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2022 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' Question & not a 'How to:' DIY explanation... at least, not yet! ..
    U.S. Army Aviation 13 Years
    Vietnam Veteran
    Boeing Quality Manager 24 years (Retired)

Current Rides:
    2013 Harley FLHTK
    2017 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Here's what I did to mine.

1 Ground=Black (You would use the white in the plug that you have.)
    2 Running Lights=Brown
    3 Right Brake=Red & Right Turn=Green (Tie these two together)
    4 Left Brake=Orange & Left Turn=Blue (Tie these two together)

I swapped the amber turn bulbs for red led bulbs myself, if you do not when you apply the brake you will have both a steady red and amber light on.
    Just fold the Yellow backup wire back and tape into place. I made the switch in front of the trailer, you can always just cut off the round plug and make changes there.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 05-06-2022 at 06:31 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Also if you prefer a more finished look at the tongue purchase this and tie it in under the trailer. Mine did not plug in under the front of the trailer and was hardwired in just inside the front of the trailer, that's where I made my changes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Also make sure to verify that everything is connected and working correctly "BEFORE" making your final connections permanent just in case some yahoo has been working on it.

Spyder Garage

K80Shooter, Thanks for the info. I'll wire it up tomorrow and let you know the outcome. I hadn't thought about wiring it up that way, but then I said I wasn't an electrician.
    Vietnam Veteran

Current Rides:
    2013 Harley FLHTK
    2017 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Here's what I did to mine.

1 Ground=Black (You would use the white in the plug that you have.)
    2 Running Lights=Brown
    3 Right Brake=Red & Right Turn=Green (Tie these two together)
    4 Left Brake=Orange & Left Turn=Blue (Tie these two together)

I swapped the amber turn bulbs for red led bulbs myself, if you do not when you apply the brake you will have both a steady red and amber light on.
    Just fold the Yellow backup wire back and tape into place. I made the switch in front of the trailer, you can always just cut off the round plug and make changes there.
    I wired the trailer the way you said. All the lights came on as advertised. The only problem I see is that when I turn on the left turn signal, or the right turn signal, all three lights on that side blink. The turn signal light, the brake light and the backup light. I'm going to take the bulb out of the backup lights. I don't see any reason for them to be there. It's usable the way it is but I don't think it is quite right. Thanks for your help though. I got a lot farther than I would have on my own.
    Vietnam Veteran

Current Rides:
    2013 Harley FLHTK
    2017 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Juan -- your trailer is the AUS configuration. CAN is Amber turn signals and AUS adds White backup lights. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1607949
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

From my original post " I swapped the amber turn bulbs for red led bulbs myself, if you do not when you apply the brake you will have both a steady red and amber light on.
    Just fold the Yellow backup wire back and tape into place. I made the switch in front of the trailer, you can always just cut off the round plug and make changes there." Maybe I should have said, "Do Not Use The Yellow Wire."

From my last post "Also make sure to verify that everything is connected and working correctly "BEFORE" making your final connections permanent just in case some yahoo has been working on it."

Yes the turn and brake would work together, that's why I changed mine to a red led (1157R) bulb. Thats how 90% of the trailers work today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you use the bulbs that I linked make sure to grasp them as close to the base as possible when installing or you will damage them. For me they work great so far.

With only 4 wire to work with there is no way to have the backup lights work, also the brake and turn signals have to be together because of the same reason. As short as the trailer is you do not need backup lights. Like you said, removing the bulbs will cure this as well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

K80 -- well you could turn the backup lights into taillights with Red LEDs.

Juan -- as I said before your trailer cable is for the AUS configuration. In the USA cable configuration, H and J are Right Turn & Brake and Left Turn & Brake. Positions C, D, E, F and G are not used. The Spyder adapter module with integral 9-pin connector is the same for USA, CAN and AUS.

I sure wish I had your rear light assemblies as I'm converting them along with a new 9-pin cable from USA to AUS configuration. BTW the trailer rear light assemblies are the same as the Spyder.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Juan here is a complete plug and play for your wiring.https://store.valueaccessories.net/T...sSpyderRT.aspx and here is the adapter to make it 5 wire to 4 wire https://store.valueaccessories.net/5...Connector.aspx

I used the plug and play wiring harness on my mine and it worked very well for several years now. See you

BTW since you are going to have to put a new plug on your trailer anyway why hot just use a 5 pin plug
    1 ground
    2 Brake light
    2 Left turn
    4 right turn
    5 running lights/tail lights
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-10-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hi Paul, I got the Plug & Play wire harness with the Trailer Hitch The Spyder side is not the problem. The problem is the trailer side. It has 7 wires of which only 6 are used (one, Yellow, is not used). The Wesbar Converter you say I need to purchase is part of the wire harness I got with the hitch and is already installed in my Spyder. My next-door neighbor is an electrician and he will be home all week the 16th and we will get this trailer wired correctly. You can see from my post on 5/7/22 that I have it wired but the lights are not operating correctly. I just got a text from the locksmith. He was able to get key blanks for my trailer lock assembly. He will cut the keys and will be back out here this afternoon to assemble the lock. I'll call you this evening.
    Vietnam Veteran

Current Rides:
    2013 Harley FLHTK
    2017 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78