Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S went in for Spring tune-up - Instrument cluster now dead!

So I took my 2014 RT-S in for Spring tune-up, mainly oil & filter, new rear tire (backordered, maybe June), and a non-functional air compressor for the rear air shock.

Tech calls me. He asked if I had had any issues with the instrument cluster (no). They traced the compressor problem back to the instrument cluster. CANBUS wasn't sending the right signal to activate the compressor, which apparently is routed through the cluster. When they hooked their test cluster to the bike, the compressor fired right up. Hmmm. So they hooked my cluster back up and everything seemed OK. Transient fault? Anyway, we agreed that the problem seemed transient and probably not worth the $900 for a new instrument cluster. Rolling the dice.

So they shut down the bike, finished up some other things, then fired up the bike to move it. Dead. Wouldn't even bring up the startup sequence on the main screen. So they reattached their test cluster. That worked. Reattached my cluster. Dead.

The tech said he's have their head technician take a look at it. I pointed out that I wasn't having any issues when I brought it in. He has yet to get back to me.

I'm thinking the dealership owes me a new instrument cluster. Thoughts?

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

I'm thinking the dealership owes me a new instrument cluster. Thoughts?
    You know that isn’t going to happen. You may wish that it would, but deep down you know that it won’t.

You took it in to them to install a new air pump, and when they tested it remotely, it worked. What made the pump stop working in the first place? Same thing that blew your instrument cluster? Who knows, but something did. Sorry to sound so negative, but that’s the way I see it. jmho wthdik?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Me thinks, that dealer would be prepared, to do some discount, to keep a customer happy... parts will fail overtime, but it worked when brought in, hard to tell, Op has a point, but also the comment from Bigbadbrucie, makes sense.
    The Truth leis in the middle, If this would happen with a customer of mine, I would be leniant, maybe charge less for hours, or somthing similar, new item with major discount.
    But the ball is at the dealership.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Electronics suck, there are so many different ways the little gremlins can get you!!! Like said above what happen first, did the pump go, then short out the cluster, or did the cluster misbehave and stop the pump from working? Will the pump blow another cluster down the road because it's got a short in it? Any way good luck trying to get them to pitch a cluster for free into the works, the gremlins are working on your new issues as we talk!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Before I got my used 2014 RT-S, the cluster had been replaced. At a guess, somewhere around 29k miles. No idea what happened or why, but it only had 997 miles on the odo when I got it despite the seller saying it was at 30K or so.

Electronics go bad and quite often only when turning on/off. Its just sucks that it's all one piece to be replaced.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with this one. Keep us posted.