Spyder Garage

Default I wonder if this was my problem all along

I wonder if this was a my problem all along

As some of you regulars may be aware, Iíve been having trouble with my left hand Multi Function Switch. I was not able to shift into Reverse, I could not manually downshift and I could not shift from any gear into Neutral without first shutting the bike off and restarting.

In the past, when setting out on a ride I would start the bike so I could release the parking brake and then try to shift into Reverse, which never happened. But now that I was in Neutral with the parking brake released it was easy to push it out of the parking spot in front of my apartment.

But for the last two days, when going though my pre-departure dog and pony show , the bike actually shifted into Reverse. Of course I was pleased . Today I decided to try a few tests while out on my ride. The couple of times I tried shifting into Reverse it worked fine. Then I tried a manual downshift with no joy. I tried again, only pressing the Minus paddle harder and lo and behold, it down shifted.

So I pulled over and tried shifting into Neutral from 1st gear, pulling hard, but not overly hard, on the minus paddle and it performed flawlessly. Same with going from Reverse to Neutral.

Before, when I was having trouble shifting into Reverse and it didnít work, my instinct was to press harder on the R button. Iím now wondering if maybe the problem was I was not pulling hard enough on the Minus paddle?

Now the big questionÖ.. I already have a new left hand Multi Function Switch on order from the dealer to be replaced under warranty. Iím expecting it to come in July. Do I go ahead with the replacement, just in case, since it is a known problem with the 2018 RT and F3?
    Greg Kamer
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

If you feel you are having to press very hard to make it work, replace it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Greg,

If the dealer is replacing the multi-function switch under warranty, I would think they, too, experienced a problem when they did their diagnosis. Even though you are able to massage the system to make it work doesn't mean it is working correctly. I'd have it replaced..... Jim
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike
    Platinum Silver Satin 2014 RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Ditto on the replacement.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Definitely get replaced, better now while prepared

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch & 622 trailer (with its own list: Spyderpops Lighted Rear Bumpskid, LineX protection on sides, led trim lighting amber front& red rear, stand& tongue handle)THX Cruzr Joe!
    (pics in album)
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

But for the last two days, when going though my pre-departure dog and pony show , the bike actually shifted into Reverse. Of course I was pleased . Today I decided to try a few tests while out on my ride. The couple of times I tried shifting into Reverse it worked fine. Then I tried a manual downshift with no joy. I tried again, only pressing the Minus paddle harder and lo and behold, it down shifted.

So I pulled over and tried shifting into Neutral from 1st gear, pulling hard, but not overly hard, on the minus paddle and it performed flawlessly. Same with going from Reverse to Neutral.

Before, when I was having trouble shifting into Reverse and it didn’t work, my instinct was to press harder on the R button. I’m now wondering if maybe the problem was I was not pulling hard enough on the Minus paddle?

Now the big question….. I already have a new left hand Multi Function Switch on order from the dealer to be replaced under warranty. I’m expecting it to come in July. Do I go ahead with the replacement, just in case, since it is a known problem with the 2018 RT and F3?
    Whatever way you look at it, there was something decidedly WRONG going on inside your Left Hand Multi-Function Switch, even if you occasionally could massage it or by some other fluke get some things to do what they should bloody well do first time all the time!!

So as far as I can see, the answer to your 'Do I go ahead & get it replaced under warranty?' question is not just Yes, it's more of a 'HECK YES! Of COURSE I get it replaced under warranty!!' And I reckon you should probably do that as soon as humanly possible, just in case it triggers something else that might be more of an issue!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2022 at 11:18 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I would

Spyder Garage

I would assume the dealer tryed your switch before he went through the process of doing the paperwork for brp, so that being said he must feel that some things wrong with your switch!! Change it and don't feel guilty!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'd change. I think it should work in all situations and pressing in all "fingerpower" range.
    Whether the problem is electrical or mechanical could repeat or more probably go to worse in the future so I wouldn't risk.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Not only would I let the dealer replace it but in no way would I mention that if you press hard on the paddle that it works.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My left hand switch gear all works with a moderate level of force, just the level of force you would expect. It feels the same on mine as on previous Triumphs and BMWs. If you have to put anything but the level of pressure your brain would expect, compared to the right hand cluster, I would replace it. The up-shift and downshift should feel about the same in my book. I would replace it as the chances of you are getting out in the middle of nowhere sometime in the future, when even a hammer won't get it to operate, are not zero.

When you were in law enforcement, would you trust your life to your firearm if it worked as long as you used 30 lbs of trigger pull. It would probably work every day at the range but the day you really needed it to work in the field, that trigger mechanism would fail for sure.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver