Spyder Garage

Default Traffic Light Road Sensor and the Ryker

Has anyone ever had an issue with the traffic light sensor not detecting you and so the light stays red?
    Based on what I read (see attached), it’s legal to go through a red light after a long wait, but I’m just thinking about major routes or expressways and being responsible for everyone behind me not gettting a green light, lol.

890670EE-5A6F-47FB-9825-ED34FC0B2714.jpg
    Last edited by dale001; 05-04-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

I never had an issue with a Ryker (although I have with motorcycles). I can't answer about running red lights--probably depends on local laws.
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I usually wait a light cycle, if I am there and it doesn't pick me up when it should of I go the next time my original direction of travel has the light and I go when clear, I've never timed it.
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It's like that in Washington. If your still stuck after a full cycle of the traffic light you can treat it like a stop sign. RCW 46.61.184
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

We had a bunch of traffic lights around here that would not pick up a motorcycle.
    I finally got pissed after my bike got so hot it shut down one cylinder ( safety feature), went to the police station and filed a official complaint.
    Told them about the issue and maybe they should send out their motor officer and see if his bike would trip the lights.
    I also told them that I was planning running them if it happened again and would fight it in court if charged.
    As they had a complaint on file I would use it in court.
    Never was charged, even when a cruiser was parked on the right side.
    Honked at him to get his attention, pointed at the light, made sure it was clear and went.
    Damn I can be a grumpy old SOB at times.

Spyder Garage

Never had that happen with my other bike ... ;-}

Also depends on how pressed I am for time and how ornery I'm feeling. One intersection always got me, I've been known to just sit there, crank up the jams, and let traffic stack up behind me. We can only hope the Pearly Gates has one and fails to trigger for whoever comes up with this crap.

PS - rumor has it, a few hard drive "super" magnets glued to the frame help to trigger those stupid things.
    Last edited by sKiZo; 05-04-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Very easy solution!! buy 1 or 2 large flat magnets at your local hardware store and put them on the frame under the front end. It will almost always trigger the sensor strips in the road. I've be doing it for many years on all my bikes.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Had that problem with one particular light on a less traveled side rd. I would just run it. I have waved cars up close or beside me when I was riding just 2 wheels down, haven't had that problem on the Ryker.....Yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2022 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Ryer = Ryker ;-)

Spyder Garage

How will one avoid a ticket from the stop light traffic cameras?
    I have run up against this situation in the past. I now stop with my left front tire on the inductive coil to break the connection. This seems to have resolved the issue as I don't recall the last time I was stuck at a red light.

Ride Safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    How will one avoid a ticket from the stop light traffic cameras?
    I have run up against this situation in the past. I now stop with my left front tire on the inductive coil to break the connection. This seems to have resolved the issue as I don't recall the last time I was stuck at a red light.

Ride Safe!
    If a complaint has been filed, they know there is a problem. then you can fight it.
    I was talking to a police officer about it and that is what he told me to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dale001 View Post
    Has anyone ever had an issue with the traffic light sensor not detecting you and so the light stays red?
    Based on what I read (see attached), it’s legal to go through a red light after a long wait, but I’m just thinking about major routes or expressways and being responsible for everyone behind me not gettting a green light, lol.

I would say, look in all directions twice, and let the little man on your shoulder lead the way!! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been riding a Spyder for quite a few years now, have had it happen but not often.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion without a legal citation. Here in PA you can "ride on red". You have to treat it like a stop sign once it doesn't detect you, then you are good to go. Just make sure you don't break the imaginary plane of the intersection if there is no stop line or crosswalk before going.
    PennDOT link
    https://www.penndot.pa.gov/PennDOTWa...e.aspx?post=51
    Legal code:
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...n=12&subsctn=0

Most officers I've met ride, all sit in the same courtrooms, hear the same stories over and over, and most are aware of the law. Of course you may run into one that is new, doesn't know, or is just a jackass trying to get their collars/pinches for the month. If pulled over explain to them that you waited a cycle, but that the signal didn't detect you (if it uses some type of sensor). If you are ever issued a citation for a violation, just go to court and quote the legal section to the DJ. Explain what transpired and quote the law. Easy win. Now if you were in a hurry and just took off at a red or ran it, the officer will just state that the particular signal doesn't have a sensor, or testify to your actions and you are going to pay the fine.

Having said all of this, people make up the system. You can be "right" and still lose in court. It isn't perfect, nothing is.
    Last edited by Beginner; 05-05-2022 at 05:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Reminds me of when headlight modulators were first made legal here in the states. Of course, I was pulled over regularly (some local PD were just looking for an excuse anyway) until word got around. Always one to plan ahead, I'd popped out my wallet size copy of the new DOT reg and the ones that could read would say ok, and the ones that couldn't would scratch their heads and say "I'll have to look into that".

Fun fact - I originally used a modulator designed for an H4 headlight with an H4 light. The H4 unit is designed to flash the bright element while leaving the dim element steady, creating the modulation effect. Upgraded to a Phazer7 LED light, and only then found out the H4 modulators get wonky with LEDs, and will flash the bright and turn the low side off making more of a strobe effect. Didn't help that my light was biased towards blue. It was fun for awhile to come up on somebody and have them see the blue strobe and pull over thinking I was a cop. Collected a few fingers as I'd roll by, wave, and smile ... it got old quick though and I upgraded to the LED unit.
    Last edited by sKiZo; 05-05-2022 at 07:15 PM.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Doesn't that make for a slow start after the light changes?
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Any chance you can take a photo of what you mean and where you placed them or provide a link?

Spyder Garage

If you are first in line, what part of your bike should be touching the white bar/line to trip the light— the front tires?

Spyder Garage

If you are first in line, what part of your bike should be touching the white bar/line to trip the light— the front tires?
    just behind the white bar. Normally you can see 2 sets of boxes /wires cut into pavement. Wire is placed down inside slot cut, filled with tar or epoxy. I try to put each front tire in each box, not going past the white bar. With Spyder, it has more metal mass than my 2 wheeler, will always trip lights here in NC
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Can't say that I ever had an issue with my Ryker at a stop light.
    U.S.Marine Corps
    Vietnam-Veteran 68/69