Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How long to do Skyline and Blue Ridge from Front Royal to Roanoke?

Anyone know how long it takes to travel from Front royal-skyline drive to Roanoke via the blue ridge parkway. Websites are all over the place. Lets do driving time and I will add in stopping and seeing the outlooks. 5-6 hours?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Front Royal to Roanoke via Skyline and BRP is about 4.5 hours (~190 miles.)
    Last edited by RayBJ; 05-04-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Took me about 6hrs doing the speed limits & stopping for a picnic lunch.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I used goggle and outlined it. It was saying 205 so just wanted to confirm. Thanks Ray. I figured at 35 for the first 100 miles on the skyline and 45-50 for the second 100 which is the speed limits would be between 5 and 6. So I’ll figure 6+ so should be no problem in one day. Thanks guys. Another question. I believe the only fees are at skyline correct ( first 104 miles) If I pay at front royal I’m good to the north entrance correct. I don’t pay again to get on the blue ridge at the north entrance correct? The blue ridge is free correct, its just the skyline that has a toll.

Spyder Garage

Yep, Skyline is Federal. BRP is free. If are old enough the Golden Passport,( not sure what they call it now) is one time fee and good for all national parks. I have saved a fortune.

Spyder Garage

Remember this, the weather and visibility the day you ride will govern what you see at the various outlooks. If you hit a "wrong" day you won't see squat from the outlooks and your ride will be just that, a ride with nothing unusual.

The fee you pay on Skyline Drive is actually an admission charge to the Shenandoah National Park. There are numerous places of interest to see in the park if that's your bent.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Skyline fee was $30. round trip within 7 days last I did it. The BRP may have closures in some segments due to weather, slides, etc.. Mostly in the middle and southern thirds so you should be okay up north. If you ride at 35 mph, you may be run off the road! More likely you'll be doing 45ish on average. Here's a helpful site before you go. https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvis....4172/-81.1782
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have the yearly “America the beautiful” national parks pass. Not old enough for the senior yet but getting close It works great out west with all the national parks. We get it for the black hill, badlands, upper bighorns for snowmobile, crossing through Yellowstone and the US highway. It lists Shenandoah national park so I’m hoping it works. Never tried before. Guess we’ll find out.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the link Ray! That will be very helpful since I will be hitting the entire highway at one point or another. From Roanoke we are heading east to the coast and run the outer banks/ 2 ferry’s south to Wellington NC. Then west to Nashville. Return North through the Smokey’s, the dragon, then Cherokee to Roanoke on the bottom highway. Then over to the claw, up West Virginia into southern Ohio and home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Front Royal to Roanoke via Skyline and BRP is about 4.5 hours (~190 miles.)
    469 miles

Blue Ridge.jpg
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

For those who don't mind spending half a sawbuck, there is an excellent book, Bicycling the Blue Ridge, by Elizabeth and Charlie Skinner, that has a wealth of information on the places one can see on the Skyline Drive and BRP. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bicycling..._ts-doa-p_1_24.

My oldest grandson and I cycled from Front Royal to Asheville 15 years ago, and I'm here to tell you that spotting him 48 years had me looking like a quart of formaldehyde would have done me good by the time we arrived in Asheville, but it was a fantastic trip before sending him off to college.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are a veteran you can get a veterans pass for free entry to the parks. I make sure to use mine as much as possible and I was able to pick it up at the local rangers station here at Cunningham Falls.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

cloverHillCrawler, what do you need to get the veterans pass? DD-214 Thanks Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    cloverHillCrawler, what do you need to get the veterans pass? DD-214 Thanks Bruce
    This may help, https://usparkpass.com/senior-milita...-other-passes/
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Acquaintances were up there 10 days ago and had 12" of snow.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

we left albany ny to the dragon and back in 8 days last year
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

While in Cherokee visit The Rattler . It is 10 times better then the Dragon, and no LEO's.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    While in Cherokee visit The Rattler . It is 10 times better then the Dragon, and no LEO's.
    Been to the Smokey’s many times. We are there for 5 days. Will hit most of them plus do some tubing and a nice hike to rainbow!

Spyder Garage

Still a plan in progress, but leaving 05-31 to head in that direction and plan to ride a good portion, if not all, of BRP..may or may not do the dragon, as we have done Needles and Pig Trail..as it gets closer, I will following this thread with interest..
    And, yes, the senior pass works as advertised..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Thanks for the link Ray! That will be very helpful since I will be hitting the entire highway at one point or another. From Roanoke we are heading east to the coast and run the outer banks/ 2 ferry’s south to Wellington NC. Then west to Nashville. Return North through the Smokey’s, the dragon, then Cherokee to Roanoke on the bottom highway. Then over to the claw, up West Virginia into southern Ohio and home.
    We are also doing the Outerbanks on 5/14-15. We will be heading from the Raleigh area and traveling south towards the NC/SC border on the 14. We will be spending the night in Morehead and then taking ferries over to get to Hatteras. Then taking 12 north to the Va border. We will double back and take 64 back west on Sunday to get back to Raleigh.
    As for the BRP, we were there 2 weeks ago and there is a section near Boone (actually at the 421 exit) that is closed. It is only a short section and the detour is still a nice ride. I found that the BRP is ok when it comes to speeding, but the one time I did Skyline Drive, there were 9 rangers with radar over the 110 miles. So 35 was a definite speed limit and not just a suggestion.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

How long “Loose the watches”
    https://youtu.be/pq2SirtDqnE

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    469 miles

Blue Ridge.jpg
    I live about 90 miles from Gatlinburg, then head across the Smokies to get to the bottom end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have ridden from there to Ashville several times, one of my favorite rides. I have left home and gone through Boone NC to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and go back to Ashville that way too...... but never rode from Boone north yet. But... might do that this summer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2022 at 09:10 PM. Reason: .'s, spaces, & caps ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    How long “Loose the watches”
    https://youtu.be/pq2SirtDqnE
    One of my favorite movies of all time.

Spyder Garage

My wife & I are riding up from FL to Front Royal, VA next weekend. Another end-to-end Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee, NC. I don't intend to be 'connected' along the trip. I'm no journalist, but will try to report if anything of interest when we return. Planning on a couple weeks, maybe. Randy
    2019 F3Ltd

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    All I needed was my drivers license as it is marked with my veterans status but I also presented my VA card.

The ranger had a box of them ready to go. I was in and out in no time.

The DMV Spyder Ryders goes up that way a couple of times a year usually on our group rides. Plus we go to other parks so it comes in very handy and I make good use of it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black