Spyder Garage

Default I work with CAN bus systems at work....

I work on CT scanners for a living, and have done so for many years. That can bus interface they sell for $350 is likely just a Raspberry Pi or something similar. I should have everything I need to at least be able to connect to the bus, and log activity. Definitely going to give it a shot. I have several CAN bus interfaces, but no Spyder yet. It's coming Saturday.

From what I read online, 2017 was the first year for CAN bus 2, correct?

Spyder Garage

I can't help you but this thread promises be interesting. Thank you
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmiles View Post
    I work on CT scanners for a living, and have done so for many years. That can bus interface they sell for $350 is likely just a Raspberry Pi or something similar. I should have everything I need to at least be able to connect to the bus, and log activity. Definitely going to give it a shot. I have several CAN bus interfaces, but no Spyder yet. It's coming Saturday.

Hi, very happy to read your post.
    Yes, 2017 was the first year for CAN bus 2

Spyder Garage

This could be fun. I will follow this as well since I have experience with vehicle Canbus systems. Just like ABS systems Canbus isn't really that complicated. It isn't voodoo or magic, but finding a problem often involves patience and some decent test equipment.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Very interested as I have a 2017.

Ps I had no idea what a Raspberry Pi was so Googled it up.
    So for any other Luddites like me this may help.
    https://opensource.com/resources/raspberry-pi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    This could be fun. I will follow this as well since I have experience with vehicle Canbus systems. Just like ABS systems Canbus isn't really that complicated. It isn't voodoo or magic, but finding a problem often involves patience and some decent test equipment.
    Yea, my experience has been the learning curve is more like a huge speed bump. It seems intimidating, and at first nothing works. Then all of a sudden it starts working, and from there you just need to make some sense of what you are seeing.

Now I will say that when I'm logging a CAN bus at work, I have all the documentation from the guys who put everything together, and sometimes I actually need it. I also have zero experience with car CAN bus systems, but I have a rebreather that uses a CAN bus, and I've been able to get logs from it fairly easily. Of course being friends with the CEO of the company, who also happens to be the guy that built the entire thing doesn't hurt.

May pan out, may not. But I'm going to give it a shot, and I've been told I'm a lot like a dog on a bone when it comes to this type of thing. In fact, my wife claims that when I buy something, I seem happiest when I have to fix it, or when I'm upgrading it. I wouldn't argue with that, in fact I avoid arguing with her as much as I can.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmiles View Post

Just curious, what are you hoping to learn or accomplish? A member here, from Poland I think, several months (a year or 2?) ago had a system to read the Can Bus signals but I don't offhand remember what it was he looking to accomplish. When you say you have a Can Bus interface coming are you referring to the BUDs program? I comes with the Can Bus to computer adapter.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just curious, what are you hoping to learn or accomplish? A member here, from Poland I think, several months (a year or 2?) ago had a system to read the Can Bus signals but I don't offhand remember what it was he looking to accomplish. When you say you have a Can Bus interface coming are you referring to the BUDs program? I comes with the Can Bus to computer adapter.
    No I don't have BUDs, or the adapter. In fact, I just got my Spyder Saturday. What I do have are several can bus interfaces that I use for work on CT scanners. Most of the higher end interfaces are Raspberry Pi's, with the software loaded on it. I have a ton of experience with them, so the mystery behind them was gone years ago.

I guess as far as what I hope to accomplish is for right now just downloading and logging the data stored in my ECM. Anything above that would depend on how that goes I guess.
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I'll be interested in your findings as well. I think it would be useful to query the bus for things like "what is currently connected to the bus, and, for each item, show me it's peak and avg draw, as well as any banner information availalble (i.e. vendor, product, etc). THAT would be useful information. A Raspberry Pi could certainly be programmed for such a task, and a simple USB out port would enable viewing and/or printing those results.
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

While troubleshooting an issue with my BUDS this morning, I ran the program that came with the BUDS module. It appears to be the CANBUS data logger you're looking for. The file is," MiniMon v3 by IXXAT".
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

So anything new for the can bus fans ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I'm in the OBD-II rabbit hole

So anything new for the can bus fans ?
    Yeah I've fallen down the OBD-II rabbit hole: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1652277

I've got the following on order:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDL...dp/B005ZWM0R4/
    https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Adapt...dp/B077SHQQ1D/
    https://www.amazon.com/How-Use-Autom...dp/0760347735/

I already have the Deutsch DT 6-pin and DB9 plug kits so will fabricate a 4-wire cable (CAN-High, CAN-Low, Always-On 12V and Ground) to connect the OBDLink to my DLC1 port. I could have skipped the DB9 intermediary but it gave me cheaper flexibility to interface the OBDLink with non-Deutsch DT 6-pin DLC ports.

I should be looking at Service 01 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II...w_current_data codes next weekend. I'll report my results but not in this BUDS thread as I ain't doing BUDS.

BTW I was already reading real-time CANBUS messages for my Arduino Duo project. I wasn't interested in OBD-II until the HUD question. And now I am...

WRT CAN version: for my 2014 it is 2.0a (11-bit identifiers) KWP2000. I suspect starting around 2018 and for sure post-2019 BRP went to 2.0b (29-bit identifiers) because Bosch ECM, TCM, etc (Bosch first published 2.0b in 2012).

==========

Just discovered pre-2014 (ie pre-1330cc engines) Spyders apparently use the K-line version of KWP2000 -- pin 6 on the Deutsch DT connector.

WRT BUDS vs BUDS2, I suspect BUDS is pre-2017/2018 Spyders (K-line and CAN 2.0a) and BUDS2 is later Spyders (CAN 2.0b).

WRT to Deutsch DT 6-pin connector it appears to be a standard across the entire BRP product line.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

You're very close. The 2016 models used BUDS2.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red