Spyder Garage

Default My 2022 Ryker keys are interchangeable...

I saw on YouTube a guy talking about his 2022 rally key working on a different 2022 rally - I can confirm this is true! I started my wife's 2022 sport with my 2022 sport key. So I wonder if this is an issue Can Am is aware of and if they will fix the problem?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: saw Caps ;-)

Spyder Garage

Brings to mind a myriad of questions keeping in mind that I've never tried starting mine without a key so can't say as to whether the key needs direct contact with the socket to work. If it does, ignore the following!

What's the spec'd coupling distance from the chassis socket for the "key" to work?

Were the bikes parked close enough to trigger both/either ignitions?

Would the other bike start without a key at that point?

Can the ignitions be reprogrammed at the dealership, hopefully for less common keys?

Has anybody added a hidden kill switch or two to slow down a thief?

Did I remember to pick up beer? ;-}
    Last edited by sKiZo; 05-02-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I'll do some more testing, but I put my wife's key in the garage and and her ryker was out in the driveway.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Niteryker View Post
    I saw on YouTube a guy talking about his 2022 rally key working on a different 2022 rally - I can confirm this is true! I started my wife's 2022 sport with my 2022 sport key. So I wonder if this is an issue Can Am is aware of and if they will fix the problem?
    IF that's the case, then both Keys are cut identically and CHIPPED identically .... what are the odds ????? .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2022 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IF that's the case then both Keys are cut identically and CHIPPED identically .... what are the odds ????? .... good luck .... Mike
    Mike, they're talking Rykers. No "key".
    I may be dreaming. But, I hope to get a Spyder or Ryker, soon.

Just read through "Do-s-and-Do-Nots-for-new-Spyder-owners" and the following posts. Lots of good/helpful info.
    Lots of other forums could go to school on this.

Spyder Garage

Sure there's a key - it's just a weird key. <G>

Legacy of snowmobiles I guess. Not as practical as my old Ford key though. :-}

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaEJ View Post
    Mike, they're talking Rykers. No "key".
    Mea Culpa ..... I didn't know Ryker's didn't have real keys .............Mike

Spyder Garage

This is probably why they came out with that e brake lock! I remember years ago when you wanted to start your snowmobile and didn't have the key you just unplug the key switch in the back and fired the old girl up and drove off!! Then they had cut keys that had a letter stamped on the key, if you had the same lettered key you could jump on your buds ride and take it for a spin!! Got my friend one day with his new sled this way, think he's still scratching his head on that one. I personally think it's to bad we have to worry about locks and key's the way we do, at the end of the day that key is only for the honest person, they can and will get it if they want it!! Insurance, that's why I buy it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Guys, guys....Remember, this a Canadian company, the bikes were designed by Canadians. Therefore, Ipso Facto....they don't
    know about crime, criminals and such things like we Americans put up with. No door locks, leave the key over the visor in case someone needs to borrow your car. They will bring it back, probably washed & with a full tank.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2022 at 05:48 PM. Reason: .

Spyder Garage

Can Am is definitely aware. This is due to a chip shortage. Can Am decided to omit the RFID to allow them to keep delivering and selling. Toyota has a similar problem, and is shipping only one remote key fob instead of the usual two. Dealers should be advising about this.

I don't have the issue with my 2019, but I installed a Digital Gard Dawg M1 Keyless Starter Lockout so that I don't have to remove my key. Simple 4-wire installation. I wired to switched power instead of directly to the battery, so zero power drain on the battery when the bike is off.

https://www.denniskirk.com/digital-g...d/20012695.sku
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

As DickB mentioned above - they are very aware. Many dealers are having the buyer sign a paper indicated they were told of this situation. This is supply chain issue related. I've not been able to confirm it - but my understanding is that previous years keys would start it as well. I haven't dug in too far yet - but I'd be curious to know if they plan to "recall/service bulletin" repair the 2022s when the parts are available or not.

Spyders don't seem to be impacted by this at the moment - which is also odd - though many dealers are receiving Spyders in missing other parts - reverse actuator, windshield motor, even windshields.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

My Sea Doo Spark has a similar "key" but no RFID. There is a magnet in the "key" on the Spark. You can use a simple magnet to start it. An RFID upgrade is available for the Spark. I suspect the Ryker keys have both a magnet and RFID chip, so on the ones without RFID all you need is a magnet and yes the older "key" would likely work too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Brings to mind a myriad of questions keeping in mind that I've never tried starting mine without a key so can't say as to whether the key needs direct contact with the socket to work. If it does, ignore the following!

What's the spec'd coupling distance from the chassis socket for the "key" to work?
    I've tried to start mine before while touching the key to the socket without actually clipping it in. Would not start.
    Frankly, I'd hoped it would work, because I'd rather just keep it on my key-ring. Something about four little plastic wings being solely responsible for retaining the key while riding doesn't sit well with me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I've tried to start mine before while touching the key to the socket without actually clipping it in. Would not start.
    Frankly, I'd hoped it would work, because I'd rather just keep it on my key-ring. Something about four little plastic wings being solely responsible for retaining the key while riding doesn't sit well with me.
    Once it's started you can remove the key and put it in your pocket. I believe it throws a message up on your screen but that's all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Guys, guys....Remember, this a Canadian company, the bikes were designed by Canadians. Therefore, Ipso Facto....they don't
    know about crime, criminals and such things like we Americans put up with. No door locks, leave the key over the visor in case someone needs to borrow your car. They will bring it back, probably washed & with a full tank.
    Ziggy remember to bring your snowshoes and put on your snowtires if you ever come to southern Ontario in July. LOL
    You can stay at our igloo.

Spyder Garage

I saw somewhere that if you place a simple magnet on the "Ball" if you pull off the "Key" that the Ryker will start. Well, I tried that on my 2022 Ryker Sport and it DOES work. Place a magnet there for starting if you lose the key. I'll now keep a magnet hidden somewhere on my Ryker if that ever happens to me...