Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down 2020 RTL - Anyone think they will ever update the bluetooth to work with other device

To me this is a huge negative to the audio system, I use a pretty high end bluetooth APTX mp3 player and it really sucks that it cannot be connected to the audio system. Sure wired is ok but having bluetooth and use of the remote functions would really be nice as well as being able to store the player anywhere I want on the bike would be good also.

My Astell and Kern AK70 mkII 512gb will not let me install the can am software on it and also I believe the same goes for my Garmin.

Same goes with my Garmin XT as well as also using bluetooth helmets.

Just having to use my cell and the Cam Am proprietary software is really a drag.

Anybody think that a simple software upgrade from Can Am could fix this? I would gladly pay for it.

Any thoughts

Spyder Garage

Can You bluetooth the MP3 players straight to the helmets?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I want it to play through the bikes sound system ( speakers)

Spyder Garage

My helmet is 1/2 helmet, I have yet to pick up a set of 3/4 bluetooth ones as I really prefer the 1/2 helmet and enjoy listening to the bikes actual sound system. Its very rare these days to have a set up like Can Am does ad there are some many bluetooth devices out there and being stuck w/ only a cell to use sucks.

I have a very nice mp3 and really would like to enjoy what it was designed for and especially with the newer APTX bluetooth, Im just wondering what bluetooth comes installed on the 2020>

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the messed up world of BRP Connect/Go or whatever they call it this week
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I had 2 late model BMW motorcycles (2016 and a 2018) that had horrible/antiquated bluetooth systems. Both motorcycles were hi-end $25K+ bikes.

My guess is that they won't do anything unless it actually hampers sales.

The only thing I use bluetooth on the Spyder is the FM radio: I have it going to my Cardo headset. I have not had any issues with it and it always connects after stops and so forth.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    To me this is a huge negative to the audio system, I use a pretty high end bluetooth APTX mp3 player and it really sucks that it cannot be connected to the audio system. Sure wired is ok but having bluetooth and use of the remote functions would really be nice as well as being able to store the player anywhere I want on the bike would be good also.

My Astell and Kern AK70 mkII 512gb will not let me install the can am software on it and also I believe the same goes for my Garmin.

Just having to use my cell and the Cam Am proprietary software is really a drag.

Anybody think that a simple software upgrade from Can Am could fix this? I would gladly pay for it.

Any thoughts
    Just curious, what is happening when you try to connect it to the Spyder with Bluetooth? I had an AK70 back in 2018 and it connected to my infotainment systems just fine with SBC. Also I love your optimism that the you think the stock Spyder system will allow you to notice a big difference between the SBC and Apt-X codex!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Does not work. From what I understand you have to install the can am software on your cell
    Anything else you shixx out of luck

Tried again today and there is just no way in heck that it will work unless your using a cell w/ the BRP software installed.

Very sad, also you figure that the USB ports would be able to read a flash drive w/ tunes? I Guess they are only for charging.

This teck is way behind the curve on what has been standart on many bikes care and trucks for years.

Perhaps a company like J&M will figure something out or CAM AM BRP will offer some type oa software upgrade to at leas be able to use the BLuetooth devices i mentioned
    Last edited by Escorial; 03-21-2022 at 04:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

I really must say BRP connect is utter garbage, if you do not own a cell it's useless and even if you do it's still garbage.

Did any of the earlier years have a actual fully working Bluetooth that was compatible with Bluetooth devices that were not cell phones.

The more I look into this the more poed I get

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't need BRP GO to connect your phone to the bike with bluetooth. The music options on a smartphone beat anything that only plays one library. I can play my Apple Music or SiriusXM or Dash Radio or any other music. Just have it going when you turn the key on. The BRP Go app allows for a few other helpful apps to be used and makes for a clean setup.

I don't know of any other vehicle that allows you to pair some other device or GPS to the infotainment system, so why should we have it on the bikes?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is this thing called android auto, too bad BRP can't jump on the train for it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Please read my post, I do not want to use my cell. I listen to music period, and use a very high end media player that no phone would ever come close to.

Library yes I have my own and 512gb is quite a lot of music. Im planning on moving up to a 1 terrabyte Astell and Kern SR 25

Again it's really ashame that BRP forces this garbage on the consumer (especially this day and age), when I started looking at these bikes and noticed they claimed they were Bluetooth compatible it was a big plus for myself.

Had I know it was this garbage seriously may have taken a pass on buying one.

When I'm riding the last thing I want is to have my cell on for any reason.

That is just myself Andi like my tunes

Spyder Garage

Off the top of my head my 2016 Chrysler town and country and how old is that hmmm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any thoughts
    My thoughts: I know there is always room for improvement. When I was shopping for my bike I looked for a "safe and sound" bike with some music. What you want is a "Juke Box" on wheels, and Can Am hasn't got that perfected yet. I'd rather have the Spyder with a radio than a Boom Box on rollers, JMHO.......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Safe , its a motorcycle ;-)

Myself loud music and back roads , many of my past Goldwings and Ultras had some killer sound systems. I'm definitely not the guy listening to AM talk radio when Im riding hehe.

Hopefully BRP could figure out a software update or possible a module that would bring the system up to modern day use. Or J&M?

Just my thoughts and wish not to offend, I'm sure that others out there share my views...

Spyder Garage

I use just the Bluetooth to the Spyder for my SXM. My Sena 20s and Zumo XT are to my phone, it works better for me. I tried a Bluetooth dongle that I was using on my 15' RTS and it had a lower audio to the speakers. The setup I use now seems to be all you can get out of this system. I don't have any BRP app on my phone.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultimate sway bar

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Strange my phone bluetooth will only work with the BRP software installed as I remember even the setup menu only shows the BRP.

Anyway its to the point of beating a dead horse at this point my vent if over. Just unhappy with the current proprietary system.

Spyder Garage

Strange my phone bluetooth will only work with the BRP software installed as I remember even the setup menu only shows the BRP.

Anyway its to the point of beating a dead horse at this point my vent if over. Just unhappy with the current proprietary system.
    I always expected it to be simple. I've got 2 Toyota cars and a couple GM trucks and all I do is turn it on and go ,no waiting, it just works.

Otherwise I love my Spyder RTL !
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultimate sway bar

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Amazing isint it...

I also what kind of info that BRP connect is sending and to who.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With mine, if it plug in the cable for AUX that is in the glove box, I can play music through the bike speakers with my MP3 player. Its not bluetooth, but it works great.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yup it's fine but you can not have any remote options

Spyder Garage

Escorial, if you are so unhappy with your Spyder, perhaps you should sell it.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

I might have missed something, but the A&K web site for that model doesn't mention Bluetooth capability. It does show that it has a line out connection. Using the line out would provide better audio than Bluetooth. Your 2020 has a line input to the bikes' audio system in the front glove box. Plug in to that and select Aux input on the bikes audio. For an interesting read on the Bluetooth aptX spec, try this: https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/apt...h-enhancement/
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yup it's fine but you can not have any remote options
    What I read about aptX Bluetooth there is no discussion of remote control. That would be a whole separate protocol. aptX is audio only.

You've probably seen this in the 2021 RT Operators Guide. As noted, any remote control capability is device dependent, i.e., the device manufacturer has to follow the pertinent remote control specification.
    Any audio player connected in this jack
    will be played through the audio system.
    Depending your device, it can
    be totally, partially or not controlled
    through the ECC and the keypad.
    Here's a quote from the article that Jetfixer links to.

If you're trying to eke out the most performance possible on some high-end gear you already own, and you seek out new audiophile tracks and new download solutions, aptX and especially aptX HD and Adaptive might give you a slight bump over SBC. But if you're that much of a stickler for audio quality, I'm guessing that you're listening to everything wired anyway.

For the most part, though, it's far more important to just get good sounding gear.
    When you take into consideration the quality of 4" or 5" speakers mounted in less than ideal environment, playing over wind and road noise, I really question why you, Escorial, are so hell bent on having aptX. There is no justification based on audio quality a person's ears hears to incorporate technology of very limited improvement.

I looked at Qualcomm's aptX website. In their list of users of aptX Bluetooth the automobile category includes only after market audio units. If aptX is such superior technology why don't Cadillac and Lexus show up in the users list? Frankly, my view is that using aptX on a Spyder is akin to using a Lamborghini to travel mountain rocky gravel unpaved roads and expecting to have a silk smooth ride.

To answer your original question, no, BRP will probably never incorporate aptX into the Spyder audio system. I'm sure Qualcomm would require a licensing fee and why pay for something that only a few owners care about? Besides, it'll probably be superseded by newer BT technology anyway. If you really want to use your A&K player on the Spyder connected via BT get a Winjamer BT receiver and plug it into the Auxiliary audio port. It's aptX capable.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm going to take a different route here. My 21 RT-L has no issues connecting anything to the system, regardless of the BRP software installed.
    I have been running a Sena HM5 Bluetooth helmet rig for several years, it connects to the bike as well.

OP, your issue MIGHT be in your high-end MP3 player. I would investigate the manufacturer's website and look into updating the firmware. This may make minor corrections to the software that allows it to connect. The BRP software should not be an issue.

--Exco