Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTL - how long before you plug in the battery tender?

I'm going to be out of town for a week. Would you plug it in before you go? I have been riding regularly up until now.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

My 2015 has sat much longer than a week and started fine. If plugging it in gives peace of mind then go for it. My Guzzi is plugged in pretty much all the time.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm going to be out of town for a week. Would you plug it in before you go? I have been riding regularly up until now.
    I've left mine for a week with no ill effects
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Should be fine. I let mine sit all winter without charger/tender. In my experience the tender can cause more harm if left on all the time. I will randomly once or twice a year put tender /charger on over night.
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 05-01-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks for the info. Some vehicles can drain the battery in a few weeks if left alone. Since it has lots of electronics, I thought this might do the same.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks for the info. Some vehicles can drain the battery in a few weeks if left alone. Since it has lots of electronics, I thought this might do the same.
    Well I see you have a ... 2012 RT >>> and they do have a nominal drain ... all the time ... a week I wouldn't worry ... a Month - using a Battery " MAINTAINER " ( not a charger ) wouldn't hurt. I bring some of my batteries for the winter and only use the Maintainer once a month .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-01-2022 at 11:33 PM.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I only Use my Battery Tender, if I do not ryde for a month or more. How old is your battery?
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

My battery is supposedly a couple of months old. I just bought the vehicle.
    Last edited by Tonylmiller; 05-01-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have never used a trickle charger or tender on our RT since purchase in 2017. It sometimes sits as much as 6 months without being ridden and it's never even struggled to turn over when I do start it. The only time I had trouble was when the OEM battery was nearing the end of its life and it cranked a little slow. Put the new battery in a couple of years ago and no problems just as before. I do the same with all my bikes that I use the Odessey PC680 batteries in. Granted we do not have excessively long cold spells here but it does get down to single digits a few times for a few days every winter.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Plug it in everytime ya get off the bike....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My battery is supposedly a couple of months old. I just bought the vehicle.
    As others have mentioned, it shouldn't really be a biggie to leave it that long if your battery is in good nick & you've been ryding for at least 30+ minutes at Hwy speeds at least weekly up until now/since you put the new battery in....

BUT, your RT is a 2012, and those V-twin Spyders have a Magneto Charge system (NOT an alternator like the 1330's ) and they also have some power drain whenever stopped, especially in the first 30 mins after stopping; so unless your last ryde was a good long ryde, it just might be smart to plug it in to a Battery Maintainer/Conditioner.

It might not be strictly necessary over just a week long lay-up, especially if there's a chance you might ryde it in that time, but leaving a 12v battery sitting with a 'less than full' charge to start with for anything much longer than that really isn't going to be all that wonderful for the battery's chances of lasting as long as it might if kept properly charged all the time.... .... and a 'shorter than an hour or so' s ryde at Hwy speeds' immediately before shutting down & letting it start draining power a bit for 30 mins, then trickling power out from there on in is definitely not gonna be great for it in the long term - and that's EXACTLY what the V-Twin Spyders do!

So if I were you, I'd play it safe & plug it in (but as said, to a Maintainer, NOT just a Charger ) in fact, that IS what I do for my 2013 V-Twin RT, have done since I bought it new back in 2013, and I only fairly recently (well, within the last year or so anyway ) felt the need to replace the original battery cos it was starting to slow a little when cranking, especially on cold mornings.... . I usually ryde more often than just weekly; and most of my rydes are longer than an hour at Hwy speeds, so my battery gets looked after fairly well; but I'm pretty sure that it lasted as long as it did because I connected it up to a maintainer/conditioner whenever I wasn't going to ryde for a week or more. If I was still around the place (rather than off in the bush or o/s somewhere ) then as others suggested, I'd only leave it on for a day or two each week or so; but the point is that for any lay-up longer than a week it got regular charge/conditioning attention &/or connected to the Maintainer/conditioner for the duration of it's lay-up. . Of course, it's your Spyder & your battery, so you can do with it as you will; but for these V-Twin Spyders with a Magneto charge system that's 'adequate' rather than 'ideal' or 'great' at putting charge back into your battery, I reckon it's only smart to make the minimal effort needed in order to keep your battery in top condition and give it it's best chance a lasting for a long time....

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Make sure you use a ground fault outlet so if something goes wrong with the battery tender or charger.it will trip and shut off power to device. There has been some incidents with tender and chargers. Just being a little safer

Spyder Garage

Should be fine, maintainers/tenders are different from trickle chargers & should not be confused. warmer temperatures will also help. While you’re at it good time to clean & check terminal connections

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Should be fine. I let mine sit all winter without charger/tender. In my experience the tender can cause more harm if left on all the time. I will randomly once or twice a year put tender /charger on over night.
    This is my experience. I randomly charge my various batteries over the winter with a tender but have ruined several batteries leaving them plugged in all the time. I know people will disagree but this is my experience. Leaving it a week will be no problem at all. If it is, you have a bad battery.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    This is my experience. I randomly charge my various batteries over the winter with a tender but have ruined several batteries leaving them plugged in all the time. I know people will disagree but this is my experience. Leaving it a week will be no problem at all. If it is, you have a bad battery.
    There are various types of Battery chargers .... anything other than one that States it is a battery " MAINTAINER " .... can cause problems ..... Mike :thumbup

Spyder Garage

I am on the road now. Because of the advice in this thread, I took it out for a good long ride since the weather was perfect. Then, after a few hours, I put it on the battery maintainer until it indicated that the battery was fully charged. Then I disconnected it.
    So I will be gone for a week, but it is starting with a full charge. I guess it will be fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Plug it in everytime ya get off the bike....
    Ditto… I “float” mine and tie a piece of red yarn to the handlebar as a reminder. Don’t ask me why.
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Spyder Garage

Ok, for the end of the story, after one week without a battery tender, my Spyder was still fully charged. I won't be worrying about this in the future.
    I did charge it before I left, but sitting for 6 days basically did not drain the battery enough to notice.