Spyder Garage

Default How to tow a Ryker?

I’m wondering what I would need to tow the Ryker. I don’t have a big truck - a Jeep Renegade - only 4 cylinder engine but 2000 lb towing capacity. I don't have a receiver hookup and am not really sure where to start, or if it’s even feasible with that car. And then what sort of trailer? I’m looking for small, but does the job safely.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2022 at 05:15 PM. Reason: dint - don't ;-)
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought. Modify a vehicle towing dolly to hold a spyder with all three wheels off the ground. Small, portable, easy to store, and weatherproof. If they are strong enough to support the front of a car they should be strong enough to hold a spyder. Just a thought.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    I’m wondering what I would need to tow the Ryker. I don’t have a big truck - a Jeep Renegade - only 4 cylinder engine but 2000 lb towing capacity. I dint have a receiver hookup abs not really sure where to start if it’s even feasible with that car. And then what sort of trailer? I’m looking for small but does the job safely.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Steve
    I had a toyt tacoma pk-up with a small 4 cyl. ... I removed the OEM bed and put a flat bed on it .... then I built a metal frame and covered that with 24ga. sheet metal ( I have pics in an album here ).... and I could haul my 2014 RT in it. ( after adding air bags to the rear springs ) ..... you have zero issue with your jeep ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Maybe locate (or convert) a motorcycle tow hitch?

There's heavy duty models available, and towing a Ryker with the back wheel hitched should (?) work as we're not talking a whole lotta weight? Not sure if you'd need to strap the bars or not - one way to find out?

You'll notice a lot of question marks above - needless to say, try at your own risk? ;-}
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Maybe locate (or convert) a motorcycle tow hitch?

Sorry, but I would not even offer that suggestion to my worst enemy.

I have towed a bike with a similar setup. DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED.

If you were to lift the front of the Ryker, there is no way for the rear to swivel behind you as you go around corners.
    If you were to lift the rear of the Ryker, and tow it backwards, it still has no way to swivel, and the alignment on the front end (which helps the Ryker go straight when going forward) would probably make it wander a bit while going the 'wrong' way.

PLEASE, if you are not riding your bike, keep ALL wheels (2 or 3) OFF the ground.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ryker Rally = 650 lbs., aluminum or Stinger trailer = 550 lbs. total 1200 lbs. So just put a hitch on your Jeep and get a trailer. First step is to get the hitch on the Jeep; DIY or have it done, then shop for a trailer; the harder part because of cost.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Ryker Rally = 650 lbs., aluminum or Stinger trailer = 550 lbs. total 1200 lbs. So just put a hitch on your Jeep and get a trailer. First step is to get the hitch on the Jeep; DIY or have it done, then shop for a trailer; the harder part because of cost.
    Wow, I checked out the Stinger Trailer website. Very impressive. I like the folding idea as I live in a townhome.

Thanks for the info!
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

As a former tow truck operator, and per BRP...trailer it all wheels off-ground. It doesn't have the proper tie-down points for wheel-lift towing.

Towing with the rear wheel on the ground is likely to cause driveline/transmission problems, particularly since there's no positive detent for neutral.
    I don't know enough about their transmissions specifically yet to say for certain, but most vehicle transmissions don't lubricate without the engine running.
    If this is also the case for the Ryker, it'd be about the quickest way to destroy it. You'd have to remove the cvt belt (equivalent to disconnecting a drive-shaft) to disconnect the rear wheel from the transmission, and even then I'd worry about the remainder of the driveline.

Towing with the front wheels down may lead to instability if the handlebars move at all...and they will, even if you strap them, because there's no steering lock.
    Typically when towing a car/truck in this manner, we have a couple of tricks for strapping the steering wheel in position. Regardless, there is still a bit of slippage in transit and you'll always notice the vehicle trailing at a slight angle because of it. This is less of a problem for tow trucks because of their longer wheel base and much heavier weight; however, there's a good chance of it leading to a wreck in something as short and light as your Renegade. For this same reason, I don't tow with my Wrangler.