Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default (Was Looking to buy... ) Now Have bought this 2017 RTL - Well she's mine!

Whatever we end up deciding on, it will be used to try it out first. Later on when I am ready to retire we will most likely be trading or selling for a new one if we like it, and if it looks like something we would continue with.

This one appears to be a great deal, but it is the highest mileage of any used bike I have looked at. https://www.ebay.com/itm/35402933246...MAAOSwEBJiSMTT It's in Dallas, TX. which is about 13 hours from where I live in central Georgia.

The high mileage makes me nervous, but the guy has said he would drive it to me and fly back if I would pay $200 extra. It looks to be in great shape, and I've already pulled a vehicle history report on it, and everything looks good on it. If there is any major defect that he is aware of, I highly doubt he would be offering to take it on a 13 hour ride to deliver it.

So, what do you guys think? How many miles are these things usually good for before major items start to go.

I take great care of all my stuff. My wife's car is a 2011 Honda Fit with well over 110K on it. I keep the oil changed regularly, and I send it off for analysis every 2 or 3 changes. I would be doing the same with the Spyder of course.

Really glad I found this great forum, making this decision is both fun and agonizing. Thanks for any and all advise!

Spyder Garage

It should go 100k or more if taken care of.
    But one with 10k can break, also.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    It should go 100k or more if taken care of.
    But one with 10k can break, also.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Kind of what I was thinking. I have looked high and low online, and except for one guy who had some transmission issues, I'm not seeing anything that looks like common problems people are having. I know most folks would not even think of running a Honda Fit as long as we have ours, but we bought it because it was easy to tow behind our RV, which we no longer have. And my wife loves it so why not hang on to it.

Spyder Garage

Here are the other 2 I've been looking at...

HOLY SPEAKERS BATMAN! https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...+F3-5020936113

And even considering a Ryker, just for a tryout. This guy has put a lot of options on it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22495975037...IAAOSwrFFiaarJ

I've sat on both models, and I actually prefer the feel of the Ryker, but I'm assuming my wife will prefer the seat on the Spyder RTL, which she has sat on and liked, but she has only sat in the drivers seat of a Ryker as it did not have a passenger seat as the one on eBay does.

Again, any and all advise will be much appreciated. I would value opinions as well! what would you guys do in my shoes? We don't think that we would be going on a lot of long trips before retirement, and even when we will be going on trips, we will probably be taking her Honda fit as well, so that bodes well for the Ryker, since it already has a CB, and I already have one I could put in to the Honda.

Sorry for all the posts guys, I'll shut up and listen now, I promise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmiles View Post
    I wondered what that caption was about so I had to check it out. That thing is crazy! Speakers indeed!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmiles View Post
    Whatever we end up deciding on, it will be used to try it out first. Later on when I am ready to retire we will most likely be trading or selling for a new one if we like it, and if it looks like something we would continue with.

This one appears to be a great deal, but it is the highest mileage of any used bike I have looked at. https://www.ebay.com/itm/35402933246...MAAOSwEBJiSMTT It's in Dallas, TX. which is about 13 hours from where I live in central Georgia.

The high mileage makes me nervous, but the guy has said he would drive it to me and fly back if I would pay $200 extra. It looks to be in great shape, and I've already pulled a vehicle history report on it, and everything looks good on it. If there is any major defect that he is aware of, I highly doubt he would be offering to take it on a 13 hour ride to deliver it.

So, what do you guys think? How many miles are these things usually good for before major items start to go.

I take great care of all my stuff. My wife's car is a 2011 Honda Fit with well over 110K on it. I keep the oil changed regularly, and I send it off for analysis every 2 or 3 changes. I would be doing the same with the Spyder of course.

Really glad I found this great forum, making this decision is both fun and agonizing. Thanks for any and all advise!
    What, it’s only 51,000 miles.....and for an extra couple hundred he’ll bring it to you? He trusts it, so why don’t you? With all the negativity Going on about delivery on a new unit, I would think that you would jump in with both feet. jmho

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Honestly, the price seems a little low to me but with those miles it might be inline.

If riding two up I think the RTL is the best option. Remember....Happy Wife, Happy Life. If she's not comfy she won't be happy.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The 2017s were a solid bike by what I have been reading here. The 1330 engine is vitually bullet proof. The RT is by far a better choice of those you've shown us. That's a great price and if you are like most, you'll only be putting 4 to 5K miles a year on it, so it'll last you forever, or close to it.
    That flaw in the seat upholstery is easily repaired - not a deal breaker. Get it, you will love it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

you can ask if any of them has thrown a code. and what was the code? if NO codes, means a reliable spyder
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Currently at 10k and reserve not met. Tires are also in need of replacement. Rear is kenda and has wear bars showing, fronts are cupping and wear bars almost there too.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    Currently at 10k and reserve not met. Tires are also in need of replacement. Rear is kenda and has wear bars showing, fronts are cupping and wear bars almost there too.

I appreciate the information on the tires. I pretty much assumed that his reserve was the buy it now price. Even at that, 14,500 for a 2017 is by far the best price I've seen given the year model. Even with the cost of a new set of tires, it still beats anything else I have found, but like I said it is also by far the highest mileage. I kind of look at these things like RVs, they don't normally rack up the mileage like cars that we drive every day do. I don't expect to be putting anywhere near the kind of mileage the previous owner did, and the issue with the seat doesn't phase me one bit. I plan on at least giving him a call to talk directly with him. I did pay for a CarFax type of report, and everything checks out with what he has told me so far. He is the second owner, and has put roughly 5K of the 51K on it. The registration information confirms that. So obviously the original owner drove it a lot, which probably wasn't entirely a bad thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a 2016 special Edition that I think is priced right...For Sale on SL Forum

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ries-Spyder-RT

Fly right into Phily and ride it home...About a 900 mile trip...

larryd
    Last edited by larryd; 04-30-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

I know some run them longer and I have (regrettably) too but IMNSHO, 5 year old tires on a motorcycle (3 wheeler too), it’s time they come off. Tires even in this high priced world we live in is still a low cost investment. I know it’s campy but I like Michelin’s ad campaign (you have a lot riding on your tires). Others may have better and different ideas

In regards to Ryker vs. Spyder, don’t discount buying a Ryker. Having owned/ridden both, IMO, the Ryker is highly under estimated. I’ll go further, the Ryker can and will run circles around the Spyder, in all the right departments. That said, if your SO is going to spend a lot of time riding pillion, she better have a lithe can if you go with a Ryker

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2022 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Removed Political comment. ;-/
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Which Spyder?

...Lots of good choices. I would go with the wife and sit on the different type of Spyders. Hopefully you have a local Spyder Dealer to visit.

Be sure you do your homework and finances. Remember to only buy what you can afford.

I wanted a Spyder RTL and found the one I could make the payments.
    My Tip: Go for the Spyder that you will enjoy.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    I know some run them longer and I have (regrettably) too but IMNSHO, 5 year old tires on a motorcycle (3 wheeler too), it’s time they come off. Tires even in this high priced world we live in is still a low cost investment. I know it’s campy but I like Michelin’s ad campaign (you have a lot riding on your tires). Others may have better and different ideas

In regards to Ryker vs. Spyder, don’t discount buying a Ryker. Having owned/ridden both, IMO, the Ryker is highly under estimated. I’ll go further, the Ryker can and will run circles around the Spyder, in all the right departments. That said, if your SO is going to spend a lot of time riding pillion, she better have a lithe can if you go with a Ryker

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    I agree with everything you said. I think you and I would get along just fine. If I decide on the RTL, the tires would be replaced right away, so that to me is something to add to the purchase price for comparison to others. I've checked in to tire prices and really, they don't seem too bad. I keep comparing everything to our RV experience, and it's night and day difference as far as cost goes. I just don't know if I'm ready for another which tire/which brand controversy that from my RV days I know would be forthcoming. So if you see me poking around this forum gather tire info, you'll know which one we picked.

I've sat on both and frankly I liked the feel of the Ryker much more. The minute I sat on it and felt that bounce it said welcome home. My wife says she will be riding with me a lot, but I have to wonder how that will pan out in the real world. I would enjoy her company for sure, so I would want to make her as comfortable as possible. Unfortunately our local dealer does not have a Ryker with a passenger seat.

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, very valuable and much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...Lots of good choices. I would go with the wife and sit on the different type of Spyders. Hopefully you have a local Spyder Dealer to visit.

Be sure you do your homework and finances. Remember to only buy what you can afford.

I wanted a Spyder RTL and found the one I could make the payments.
    My Tip: Go for the Spyder that you will enjoy.
    Good advise for sure. Obviously the cost of the Ryker is a huge selling point, but still a tough decision. That's a great looking ride you have, I really like the color.

Spyder Garage

That second link shows a F3s I believe. The 2017 RTL has a couple of advantages over the other one. It has way more storage, rides 2 up real well. I also believe the 17s you could plug a thumbdrive in them for music, (I could be wrong). I would go with the RTL. Just my 2 cents. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Here is a 2016 special Edition that I think is priced right...For Sale on SL Forum

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ries-Spyder-RT

Fly right into Phily and ride it home...About a 900 mile trip...

larryd
    Thanks for posting, it is another contender for sure. But, only $500 lower than the one I'm looking at, and 2 model years older, as the ad actually says 2015. Much less mileage, but the wife doesn't like red. Sheesh, no one said this would be easy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2015 is now pushing 107,000 miles, and still performs just fine... I'd trust it on a long trip. You will have normal component failures from time to time, as with any man-made machine. As another said, the engine is bullet-proof. The oil-change interval is 9000+ miles, and mine doesn't use a drop between changes!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Well, she's mine....

At least she will be once we get the logistics worked out. Right now the plan is for him to roll up to my door this Saturday. Can't wait!

s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l16001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Beautiful ride, love the color.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Nice color.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks really good! I assume this is the one that the seller is riding it up to deliver it to you.

In my opinion, I think you made a great choice, but what do I know. Congratulations!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Great looking ride
    2018 F3 Limited