Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Spyder RS won't stay in 2nd gear - any ideas?

Help! My 2010 Spyder RS will not stay in 2nd gear unless I hold it there with my foot. I had given it an oil change because it was due and thought that would fix the issue. The oil level is good and still having the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

If the oil level is good, could you (or anyone) have put in the wrong type/spec oil during one of the last few oil changes maybe?? Admittedly, It's a bit of a long shot, but putting oil in that isn't motorcycle oil & suitable for wet clutches can produce this sorta difficulty, altho with Spyders it is more often either clutch slip under load or just a failure to go/change any gear/stay in any gear right across the board.... . but I guess failing to stay in just one gear might simply be a prelude to not staying in any gear?!?

So do you know what oil is in there/was put in for the last couple of changes?? Other than your problem being due to incorrect oil &/or oil level, this doesn't really sound cheap.... Sorry!

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure the shift lever is not loose on the transmission splines...There is a pinch bolt to hold the lever tight...Other than that its like Peter said, not a cheap fix...larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If the oil level is good, could you (or anyone) have put in the wrong type/spec oil during one of the last few oil changes maybe?? Admittedly, It's a bit of a long shot, but putting oil in that isn't motorcycle oil & suitable for wet clutches can produce this sorta difficulty, altho with Spyders it is more often either clutch slip under load or just a failure to go/change any gear/stay in any gear right across the board.... . but I guess failing to stay in just one gear might simply be a prelude to not staying in any gear?!?

So do you know what oil is in there/was put in for the last couple of changes?? Other than your problem being due to incorrect oil &/or oil level, this doesn't really sound cheap.... Sorry!

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum too!
    .... I see you are a Newbie .... in addition to what Peter said are you sure the LEVEL of the Oil is correct .... It's sometimes difficult to get it right, we all have been there many times..... check the owners manual for how to check it ...... good luck .... I learned the easiest way is to check it after a ride of at least 10 min., then you won't have to check it again until AFTER your next ride .... it's a time & gas saver ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I used XPS 4 Synthetic Oil Blend Summer Grade

Spyder Garage

Lever is tight. Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bsellin70 View Post
    I used XPS 4 Synthetic Oil Blend Summer Grade
    I don't know that oil .... if it's rated JASO II it's good to use ..... the OIL level is very important ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing from your description that your having to hold your foot up under the gear lever when its in second but don't have to do this with any of the other gears.

If it was oil type was wrong in the past I'd expect you'd to notice the clutch slipping in all gears rather than a single gear. Your not getting that and your used the right oil when you did the change.

It could possibly be the gear lever/shaft being loose or worn so definitely worth checking, though again I'd suspect you'd notice it in other gears. Worth checking though. If you can get it jacked up so the front wheels are wedged and the rear is off the ground it would be worth trying out the gear change by while someone operates the clutch for you. You should be able to feel if them movement is right or not.

If its sloppy or doesn't return properly when you click up then it could be the selection mechanism e.g. the index spring or the selector mechanism itself. Hopefully it will be this because this is reasonably accessible without needing to remove the engine from the frame. This would be a general issue with wear etc on the selector/index spring etc but it only really shows up in 2nd.

I'll dig out my RS manual and post the section on the gear box for you.

Spyder Garage

Copy of gearbox section from manual there is a bit about the selector mechanism and as I thought the engine doesn't have to be removed (though obviously its still a bit of work). If your not happy doing it yourself then any motorbike mechanic could manage this as its pretty standard.

RS Manual - Gearbox