Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone tried the Atlas throttle lock for cruise control?

Has anyone had any good luck with the Atlas Throttle lock for cruise control? I'm considering this for my Ryker. I've looked at a couple videos and it seems to be a good product...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RYKLOVE View Post
    Has anyone had any good luck with the Atlas Throttle lock for cruise control? I'm considering this for my Ryker. I've looked at a couple videos and it seems to be a good product...
    Welcome to the Forum Ryklove Good to see you posting and briefly asking your question in the thread title too, that helps others searching for the same info a heap! .

On that note - searching that is - if you type just the word 'Atlas' into the Search field up on the Top Right of the page (it's just below the LaMonster logo ) then hit the 'Search Titles Only' button & finally click on that little magnifying glass, the system will bring you back all the existing threads on Atlas Throttle locks on the Forum. IIRC there's at least 3 Ryker Owners who've admitted to installing/using them, possibly 4; altho there must've been some significant call for them from prospective owners when buying Rykers, or BRP would never have included the electronic Cruise Control on the up-market '22 models.... . The electronic version reduces some of the safety concerns a few have expressed.

However, if you want to look for an Electronic Cruise Control for your Ryker instead of the throttle lock type, you could try selecting Advanced Search (via the button just below the Search field up in the Top Right ) and entering 'Cruise Control' into that Search field; then remove the 'Search all' tick from the 'Search in Forum(s)' field & replace it with ticks only in the boxes for the 2 Ryker specific forums in the drop down list before hitting Submit. That search will bring back a larger selection of threads, including at least one discussing installing electronic Cruise on a Ryker - see below:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Cruise+control

Over to you, and Welcome to the Wonderful World of Spyders, Rykers, and this Forum once again!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2022 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Oops, sorry Ziggy, forgot about yours! ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yep, got one. Used it briefly today, It's OK but it is a throttle control, better suited for long, straight open road. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, so not much use for me.

Spyder Garage

Hello, yes have used one on a Spyder F3 basic. Worked ok on a longer ride, better than holding throttle open! I did buy a cruise switch and installed on the F3, just a plug and play on the F3. Good luck
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RYKLOVE View Post
    This is a review I did about 2 years ago when I installed the Atlas on my Ryker. I never used it when zipping around town, but out on the freeways/interstates it was a god send. On straight level roads it would hold my speed almost as well as my trucks cruise control. Personally, I was totally happy with it. Even more so since a member on this very forum had an extra that he graciously sent to me at zero cost. He even covered postage. Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Unlike the cruise control on your car which is electronic and will automatically adjust the throttle to maintain your selected speed, the Atlas Throttle Lock will only lock the throttle in a preset position.

And when I say it “locks” the throttle, it actually only holds the throttle in position. It does this by forcing a small plastic wedge up against the throttle control assembly right next to the throttle. However, even while engaged you still have full control over the throttle and you can still throttle up and down without disengaging the device.

So to use it, accelerate to your desired speed and press the lock button. The plastic wedge is forced up against the throttle control assembly and holds the throttle in that position. To disengage it, simply press the unlock button. A word of caution here. Due to the excellent engine breaking of the Ryker, you will want to have your hand firmly on the throttle before releasing it to avoid the sudden slow down of the bike.

As I stated earlier, because the Atlas Throttle Lock is manual and not electronic, you will need to make what I call micro adjustments to the throttle. On a flat level road, it will hold your speed pretty consistent. But if there is a rise in the road, your speed will begin to drop. The steeper the rise, the greater you speed will decrease. You will need to roll on the throttle to get back to your original speed. But remember, when the road levels out, your bike will now be set to the higher speed of the throttle, so you'll need to adjust it back down.

If there is a decline in the road, your speed will increase and you will need to roll off the throttle. On most road surfaces the speed difference will only be + or – a few miles per hour. That for me is no big deal.
    Last edited by gkamer; 05-01-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Thx for your review! I really appreciate it!!

Spyder Garage

I didn't like it. The adhesive on the plastic pad failed day 2 of an 8-day trip, rendering the thing inoperative. When stopping you need to train yourself to manually release the throttle or roll it off. I did not do that a few times when I had to stop suddenly.