Spyder Garage

Default Does the Ryker have a Can Bus Electrical System?

I don't know anything about these sort of things, but does the Ryker have a Can Bus Electrical System? I was under the impression it does.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    So does that mean Yes or No?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

For better or worse, it's got it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    For better or worse, it's got it.
    Thank you, that's all I asked.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Hey folks, I can be dense as a fence post when it comes to wrenching, so please bear with me. This is my first bike with a Can Bus so I'm treading on thin ice for sure. I've always used a relay to wire in heated grips, but I've read relays and Can Bus systems don't always get along. I'm planning to use BikeMaster grips, reported by various sources to draw between 2.75-3.0 amps. Rather than risk a relay, how about wiring straight to the accessory plug under the left panel? The only other accessory I plan to use is my phone or GPS, and I figured I'd power those from the plug in the frunk. I'm not the least opposed to using a relay if I can be certain it's risk-free. Let me hear from you, please. Thanks.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Hey folks, I can be dense as a fence post when it comes to wrenching, so please bear with me. This is my first bike with a Can Bus so I'm treading on thin ice for sure. I've always used a relay to wire in heated grips, but I've read relays and Can Bus systems don't always get along. I'm planning to use BikeMaster grips, reported by various sources to draw between 2.75-3.0 amps. Rather than risk a relay, how about wiring straight to the accessory plug under the left panel? The only other accessory I plan to use is my phone or GPS, and I figured I'd power those from the plug in the frunk. I'm not the least opposed to using a relay if I can be certain it's risk-free. Let me hear from you, please. Thanks.

Sarah
    There is no issue with the use of relays on a vehicle with a CAN bus. Your Ryker already has several relays. The CAN bus is a communications system, completely separate from the 12V power system. You don't connect relays to the CAN bus, you connect them to 12V power. Think of your wired Ethernet lines in your house (CAN bus) and 120V AC power lines in your house - they are completely separate.

If the grips are 3A or less you can wire to the aux power with no relay and still make use of the USB power port.

Spyder Garage

Got my push pin tool in the mail this morning so I went straight to remove the body panel. I think this is what I was looking for:

IMG_0789.jpg Ryker Accessory connector.jpg

So it looks like the 2022 models have two accessory connectors. Wonder if one might be for the factory heated grip option?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm on the wrong track, these don't look anything like the connectors I've seen posted on the forum:

IMG_0792.jpg accessory connector ryker.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg ryker acc.jpg

Anybody else chime in with a '22?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Okay, got a little help from Facebook. Just had to pull off the female side of the connector.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Okay, got a little help from Facebook. Just had to pull off the female side of the connector.

Sarah
    would be advantageous for you to get a service manual if you intend to do as much of your own wrenching as possible, best $15-$25 bucks you will ever spend, especially for these things, nothing is cheap on them

Spyder Garage

Thank you festus, exactly right.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport