Spyder Garage

Default Seat/Frunk release cable addition - where do you put the handle?

I have a 2021 Spyder RTL and want to add a safety cable to release seat and frunk. I have watched and read many posts on how this has been done, my question is where do you exit the bike with the pull lead? You cannot pull off inspection panel without lifting seat and no idea on the frunk? All ideas welcome, thanks
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

On either side of your RTL there is an opening behind the upper control arms that might have enough room for a hidden pull (right side maybe a little more than left). Carefully, stick your hand up in there and see what you think.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Spyderdave; thanks for this advise, will take a look and give an update. Have you made this improvement on your new Spyder? It would suck to be out and not be able to add gas to get home!
    Last edited by Don60; 04-28-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

I have not. I'm satisfied with the way my releases are functioning; maybe I'll be sorry.

If it did happen, I'd try popping the oil filter/brake fluid reservoir panel off with a knife blade (or pry out the seat base enough to pull the tab), then try to manipulate the cable from there. As for the frunk cable...., maybe pop the same panel on left and try, or pop loose the panel between the back edge of the frunklid and headlight "bar" and see if I could wiggle a wire in there to trigger the release arm. I do carry a 12" length of electric fence wire in my tool kit, just in case.

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)

Spyder Garage

I’m torn with this also! Happy with my cable releases, I keep them lubed and in good condition. Just a thought in the “worry” part of things! I read posts about issues with the key releases, but as in most forums, we only read of the bad things that go wrong, how many Spyder riders never experience an issue for the life of their bikes? Anyway, thanks for your input! Get out and enjoy the ride!
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

Your welcome. And I'll get out as soon as the weather turns; was 39 degrees and raining here most of the day, ICK!

Spyder Garage

On my 2012 RSS, there is a panel on the left side secured only by 1/4 turn screws which exposes the oil tank, et al. I ran the cables to this location as they'd be accessible w/o any tools and with little problem. Your RTL may be different. Sorry, IDK.
    Last edited by PhilY; 04-28-2022 at 08:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    I have a 2021 Spyder RTL and want to add a safety cable to release seat and frunk. I have watched and read many posts on how this has been done, my question is where do you exit the bike with the pull lead? You cannot pull off inspection panel without lifting seat and no idea on the frunk? All ideas welcome, thanks
    Don, I have my seat pull terminated under the right hand horizontal speaker cover panel next to the handlebar clamp, and the frunk pull under the left one. Easily accessible to run the cable if you remove the small black side access panels during install, and 2 seconds to lift out.

I really don’t like the idea of the fuel cap locked under the seat, so I am seriously considering removing the catch. The riders seat is fastened at the hinge, so it won’t move forward.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 04-29-2022 at 04:48 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My seat has never latched since acquisition in 2017, but I ran the frunk release out through the grill then down a little in front of my left foot. Painted it black to blend in with the black panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a U tube video showing how to on the 2010 thru 2019 models...May or may not be helpful for the 2020/2022 models???

Try this utube video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUDlTER1jc

Spyder Garage

Peteoz; Thanks for your response. I will take a look and see what I can do! I purchased some bike brake cables with the housing for better operation. I also thought of removing latch on seat to eliminate this issue entirely! If you do remove your seat latch, please let us know how it works out. Enjoy your rides when you can get out!
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Peteoz; Thanks for your response. I will take a look and see what I can do! I purchased some bike brake cables with the housing for better operation. I also thought of removing latch on seat to eliminate this issue entirely! If you do remove your seat latch, please let us know how it works out. Enjoy your rides when you can get out!
    " remove seat latch " ( or pin ) .... don't bother doing either .... ,look at the latch and see how it operates .... just wedge something in there and it stay open.....that's how I did mine .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " remove seat latch " ( or pin ) .... don't bother doing either .... ,look at the latch and see how it operates .... just wedge something in there and it stay open.....that's how I did mine ....
    Keep it simple. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

i removed the seat pin about 6 years ago and have had no problems. I keep it in my "Spyder" parts box in case I have to reinstall it for some reason.

Ride Safe!

Spyder Garage

I can remove my left upper side panel on my 21 Spyder RTL. You can lift the seat enough to get to the pull tab. You can also pop up the rear seat so you could route the cables all the way back there. Wife has locked the key in the Frunk once and had to run and get the spare. Since then, I've had a non-chipped key made and have it hidden on the bike. I have also adjusted the latches to ensure that they will not bind up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2022 at 08:30 AM. Reason: left = lift ;-)
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seat latch auxiliary cables & No seat latch pins are all ideas that many of us use...

Today while servicing my RT I got looking at the seat latching system...

I would like to come up with a system like a ball and socket...or something like a cupboard door latch system that just has a interference fit...That... would allow us just to lift up on the front of the seat and it would pop apart or out of the socket and release allowing the seat to stay up...

So what I'm asking is; With ALL the knowledgeable engineers on this site who has any ideas???

larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Seat latch auxiliary cables & No seat latch pins are all ideas that many of us use...

Today while servicing my RT I got looking at the seat latching system...

I would like to come up with a system like a ball and socket...or something like a cupboard door latch system that just has a interference fit...That... would allow us just to lift up on the front of the seat and it would pop apart or out of the socket and release allowing the seat to stay up...

So what I'm asking is; With ALL the knowledgeable engineers on this site who has any ideas???

larryd
    I have a 14 RT..... I had a release cable for the seat ( and still have for the FRUNK ) .... I fitted a small piece of " blueboard construction foam " ) into the Latch to keep it 1/2 released ..... this allows me to just pull up on front end of the seat to get it open .... it took a few tries to make the foam the right size, but once there it works ..... JMHO .... Mike