Spyder Garage

Default What do you do with your Pedal Commander in the rain?

This is a question for those that have a Pedal Commander installed on your Spyder.

What do you do when you are riding and it rains?

Does it disconnect so that you can store it away? Or do you have to cover it?

I know they sell a "water resistant" case but I don't think that would be good in a heavy down pour or a long wet ride.
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

I have mine behind the left panel. Never need to access it since the app works great.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A friend of mine actually drilled a hole through the glove box compartment in his 2020 RTL and then sealed it back up after running the wires through it. On my F3 Limited, I have mine running through and resting in the area beneath the panel where I check the oil. That is easily accessible and should stay pretty dry. I also purchased the water resistant cover to go over it as well.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Yes, the “water resistant” cover is of little real use, SOlsen. It has open areas all around. It would be a bit like jumping into the ocean wearing waterproof shorts and not expecting any part of you to get wet. As others have said, if you do want to change the setting, you can do it via your phone, so if you can Velcro the controller behind a panel somewhere near the throttle connection , that should cover all the bases.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    This is a question for those that have a Pedal Commander installed on your Spyder.

What do you do when you are riding and it rains?

Does it disconnect so that you can store it away? Or do you have to cover it?

I know they sell a "water resistant" case but I don't think that would be good in a heavy down pour or a long wet ride.
    I just mounted mine under the seat (right side)--stays dry there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

I want to thank everyone for their ideas. I mounted mine behind the right side panel. I didn't realize there was app for it. Works great.
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Mine is mounted in front of the right speaker for access (I don't use the app) and has been exposed to the elements for over a year (no lay-up). It's been thru 102 direct sun, pouring rain and freezing temps for >15000 miles never once causing any issues. I wouldn't soak in in a tub or run it thru a car wash but everyday riding has been fine. (I don't have the extra cover).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah think I am mounting mine under the seat too , but under the seat not the lower part and just use the bluetooth feature on my phone

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    I just mounted mine under the seat (right side)--stays dry there
    Good spot for the pedal commander!

A few questions for you, what is the string and the leather patch? Is it a manual release of some sort? if so, what does it release?

Thanks
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

I stuck mine to the wall of the front trunk. Totally out of the weather and easily accessible. I don't have the app downloaded, no need to keep changing settings.

Spyder Garage

I like to make changes as traffic the road conditions change and/or I have a passenger. If I wanted a "set it and forget it" I'd have gotten a reflash, but I want to have fun with my PC.

DSCN3059.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I like to make changes as traffic the road conditions change and/or I have a passenger. If I wanted a "set it and forget it" I'd have gotten a reflash, but I want to have fun with my PC.

DSCN3059.jpg
    I agree with you, I like being able to make changes, however I have found out that the app makes it much easier to change. I decided to mount mine out of sight and the weather. I have my phone mounted to the handle bars and I can move it if I get caught in a downpour!!
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    I agree with you, I like being able to make changes, however I have found out that the app makes it much easier to change. I decided to mount mine out of sight and the weather. I have my phone mounted to the handle bars and I can move it if I get caught in a downpour!!
    To each his own. I keep my phone in my jacket and have my SENA paired to it. Also, I like clean handlebars. Having my PC on the handlebar clamp is the perfect spot for me, but maybe not others. Not big on the phone app thing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My phone is not exposed to the elements either - it's a phone and I don't like bloating it with un-needed apps. I change the PC settings based on ride conditions directly on the PC. Never had rain issues and I avoid riding under water.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Good spot for the pedal commander!

A few questions for you, what is the string and the leather patch? Is it a manual release of some sort? if so, what does it release?

Thanks
    Emergency seat release( as some have suggested on this site)
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    Emergency seat release( as some have suggested on this site)
    Great idea! Thank you.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

I use the handlebar mount. There is enough cable slack to move it to the glove box in the rain. The foam gasket on the glove box lid allows for full closure and dry storage. I also lock it in the glove box when I park in the rare sketchy area.
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSTS View Post
    I also lock it in the glove box when I park in the rare sketchy area.
    What is this about a locking glove box?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I don't know about the latest versions, but up until the 2020 RT's came out, all RT's had a lockable glove box - turn the handle bars to full lock either way; close the frunk & glove box ; then turn the ignition key anti-clockwise until it's at the 9:00 & 3:00 position & voila, glove box & frunk locked! . Not at all positive on this, but IIRC, the ST's may have had the same locking feature also?!

Doesn't your 2022 have this most basic of features??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    My glove box locks when the handlebars are locked.
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Spyder Garage

I guess you learn something everyday. My glove box does lock with the steering. Yes my 2022 has this most basic of features I had read that in the owners manual but forgot. I also recently learned you don't have to have a foot on the brake to shift into reverse. I guess because if you are holding the reverse button you fully intend for it to happen. As compared to 1st where you could accidently bump it.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!