Spyder Garage

Default Need suggestions for loading RTL with bump skid onto trailer??

I put a bump skid on my 17 RTL now it is time to load it onto a trailer to haul back north, with this bump skid it is very low seems like it will get hung up when I drive it up the ramps onto trailer. Afraid it will get ripped off or something damaged. Any suggestions how to do this so nothing gets damaged?? THANKS !!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid

NO, that's the number one reason why I didn't buy one.
    Spyders only have about 4.5" of ground clearance.
    Sooooooo....I have learned to be very careful about what I drive over.

But maybe you will have better luck.
    Enjoy your Ryde Time. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

There are all kinds of ways to lessen the slope of your ramps dive it down a slope, park it in a hole, put some 2x6's down for preramps! If the trailer can be loaded without it being hooked to the vehicle, block and lift the tongue of the trailer up as high as you can, load, and then jack it down to hook it up!!! If it just scrapes a touch, I would not sweat it, that's what it's made for right? You wouldn't want to do a handstand of course, the frunk isn't that tough!!! Good luck, use your head, you'll get it!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2022 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Trailer tong = trailer tongue?? ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have that issue loading mine on the trailer when we take it camping. You can either try and lower the tongue down a bit or raise the edge of the bottom of the ramp up so the angle isn't as great. I use some 2x6 under the bottom of the ramp and that seems to do the trick. I dont have a separate skid plate under mine but it probably woudnt make that much difference.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

No issues at all with mine have used three diff trailers.. Never an issue
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I have that issue loading mine on the trailer when we take it camping. You can either try and lower the tongue down a bit or raise the edge of the bottom of the ramp up so the angle isn't as great. I use some 2x6 under the bottom of the ramp and that seems to do the trick. I dont have a separate skid plate under mine but it probably woudnt make that much difference.
    If you are loading yours as stated above, and Not hitting anything, then you don't need to do it. You already have the clearance you need to avoid ramp contact with the Nose of your Spyder or Ryker .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem...I let the trailer hooked up to my tow vehicle ball and I lower the jack down and elevate the front of the trailer to get a more favorable ramp angle and drive it on...Just need to remember to do the same thing when unloading...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Need-suggestions-for-loading RTL with bump skid onto trailer.

Another consideration would be to place ramps behind the tow vehicles rear tires and back onto ramps, thus lowering rear of trailer and still be connected to the tow vehicle. Just a thought

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

One simple thing I’ve done with the trailer hooked to tow vehicle and if your trailer has a tongue jack, use it to raise the front of the trailer, and thus the rear of tow vehicle, up. This will lessen the incline of the ramp.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

This looks like a great solution, but then again, trailers will be various.

https://youtu.be/NS47HiQKfK4
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Our trailer & ramps are a lot bigger than that. We have a 20' car hauling trailer with ramps almost as long as the trailer. Didn't see any bump skid on the front of the bike?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2022 at 09:40 PM. Reason: alot = a lot .... ;-)

Spyder Garage

yes I have learned the hard way NEVER to put one on again! I didn't know it was going to be so low!! Wish I could just take it off. Will never buy one again!

Spyder Garage

we come to the ramp at an angle so the tire makes contact first raising the bike. As soon as tire is on we turn the rest of the bike to straighten it up and drive on the trailer.