Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Who is using a Pedal Commander? What do you think of it?

Who is using the Pedal Commander and what do you think of it?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigDH View Post
    I think most like it , however I'm not one of them ....WHY, because IMHO adding a Hair Trigger throttle is dangerous , plus you Don't get anymore power from it.... look at what Monster fuel has to offer.... and it costs about the same money & it actually adds about 25 HP ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-28-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

I use a pedalbox, same as the pedal commander, IT WORKS... I have a custom tune, om ny spyder, and the pedal Box makes the throttle more alive, Scary when put in sport+++ mode, that's when you wanna go to a dragstrip, but I drive with the sport mode, and it changes the character of the machine, Only thing if you buy a pedal-commander, they are known, to put up a fault-code, with the Pedal-Box, you don't have to worrie, it's plug and play..

I like it alot, it doesn't change HP, but makes the spyder a little snappier
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reading the reviews all say it is great add on that makes the Spyder 'very responsive'. Riding two up, I just don't need 'very responsive', so I opt to turn off eco mode, that gives me all I need and keeps me out of trouble.

2020 RTL

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed one on my f3t and it made me fall in love with the bike all over again. For me, it was the best money that I have spent on the bike so far. I thought about doing the computer flash, but have since decided that I did not need it. It might be something to do in the future, but for now, I am satisfied. BTW, it can be moved from one bike to another. I came across a sweet deal on a F3L a few months after installing it on my F3T. So I removed it from the F3T before selling it and installed it on the F3L. Easy swap.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I installed a Pedal Box and run in an intermediate mode, low sport or something like that. The reason I like it is you just have less of a throttle twist to obtain the same output and therefore it livens things up, more responsive. Very happy with it. I hide it under my right speaker grill.

One question I have is, do I need to remove this when I go in for my 9500 mile oil change? Does this impact my warranty? Does the tech care if I have it? I would think not as it doesn't change the engine mapping.
    2021 Spyder RT

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    One question I have is, do I need to remove this when I go in for my 9500 mile oil change? Does this impact my warranty? Does the tech care if I have it? I would think not as it doesn't change the engine mapping.
    I actually asked my local dealership about it when I took mine in for service. He told me that it would be fine, and they actually had done some of the installs on customers bikes themselves. It could vary, depending on the dealership though.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Unlike those who don't have a Pedal Commander knocking it, I have one and I find nothing about it not to like. Its sensitivity is adjustable, even on the fly. I find myself changing the setting relative to the terrain. When there is a passenger on board, I have the sensitivity way down to City 1 or 2.
    There are those who argue getting a flash is better and I was about to do that when I learned about the PC. I'm glad I did, for there is no adjustability for load or terrain in a reflash.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

To some extent it depends on your past riding experience. If you are programmed like I am from years of riding cable operated carbureted bikes, you will like it because it make the throttle behave normally. It eliminates the 1/4 turn almost dead band from the programmed throttle response curve. I'm sure part of the dead throttle response is a liability concern.

The biggest difference for me occurs when applying the throttle at the apex of a curve when exiting. The stock dead band would always result in late acceleration and made me feel like an inept rider. It added back a large portion of joy to Spyder riding.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I'm fine with my throttle response, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a mechanical way to do the same thing.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response’s. I’m trying to decide between the pedal commander or pedal box. Where is the best place to get a pedal box. I see Lamonster is out of stock and doesn’t say much about it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response’s. I’m trying to decide between the pedal commander or pedal box. Where is the best place to get a pedal box. I see Lamonster is out of stock and doesn’t say much about it.
    Lamonster or martinthevlogger as far as I know. Just don't ask martin for a discount of any kind.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Sling Mods has the Pedal Commander
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Slingmods is the ONLY source for the Pedal Commander for the Spyder. The recently posted a $30 off sale. I don't know if it's still on.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Slingmods is the ONLY source for the Pedal Commander for the Spyder. The recently posted a $30 off sale. I don't know if it's still on.
    Yup, they have exclusive rights. Code PC30 still works.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm fine with my throttle response, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a mechanical way to do the same thing.
    Not since the advent of the electronic 'fly-by-wire' throttles back around 2013... or was it 2012??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Martin the vlogger, has em directly from the factory, with ce approval, he's easy to talk to, and his responses are quick, ordered a few times from heim, and he's fast with shipping.
    Pedalbox, and even the commander are just about the same price, and IMHO, the pedalbox is better, cause if you install it acoording the instructions, there will be absolutely no fault code.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Unlike those who don't have a Pedal Commander knocking it, I have one and I find nothing about it not to like. Its sensitivity is adjustable, even on the fly. I find myself changing the setting relative to the terrain. When there is a passenger on board, I have the sensitivity way down to City 1 or 2.
    There are those who argue getting a flash is better and I was about to do that when I learned about the PC. I'm glad I did, for there is no adjustability for load or terrain in a reflash.
    You can ask for a custom flash, just suited for your needs, ask the maker of the software...

Swaybar (Ron's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do not have 1 YET! but I like the idea for the following reasons; Easy install, can be moved from bike to bike, and easy
    resale for others to try should I not want it. Only reason for not trying it would be the added pressure to the drive sprocket, which seems to be a weak spot on the Spyders.
    One question I have, will the P-commander or P-box help the SLOW accel & resume on my cruise control? How does it affect the CC ?....Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2022 at 08:38 AM. Reason: excel = ms s/ware.... accel = makes it go faster! Bloody spell-check! ;-/
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I put one on my 21 RTL last week, it made a huge difference. I am still trying to decide if I will keep it due to the sensitivity of the throttle now. I am riding all the settings to see which ones I like and the ones I don't like. I can tell you that the sport + modes are crazy sensitive and makes the ride uncomfortable for me however the sport and city modes are more agreeable. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I do not have 1 YET! but I like the idea for the following reasons; Easy install, can be moved from bike to bike, and easy
    resale for others to try should I not want it. Only reason for not trying it would be the added pressure to the drive sprocket, which seems to be a weak spot on the Spyders.
    One question I have, will the P-commander or P-box help the SLOW accel & resume on my cruise control? How does it affect the CC ?....Bill
    Cruise control works just fine in both city/sport mode. I noticed no difference in decel.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Tony, since you have one of the 998 models, your Spyder is already snappier than the 1330 models, (I have one of each right now). When you get a chance try one of the 2014's or newer and you'll understand why the PB or PC is a nice add, I'm considering both a Monster reflash and a PB if I find they work well with each other. Plus Lamonster's Cat Delete, etc, etc ('cause If I can add it or improve it, I'm gonna try...)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I bought the Pedal Commander for my F3S hoping to eliminate the hesitation on launch - it did not - BUT I do love the adjustable throttle response. I eventually got a Stage 2 Flash and it was worth every penny. I've debated selling the Pedal Commander but every time I turn it off I miss it - so I've kept it. The two together are very enjoyable.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    I bought the Pedal Commander for my F3S hoping to eliminate the hesitation on launch - it did not - BUT I do love the adjustable throttle response. I eventually got a Stage 2 Flash and it was worth every penny. I've debated selling the Pedal Commander but every time I turn it off I miss it - so I've kept it. The two together are very enjoyable.
    That's good to know. I have the Stage 2 flash and I have a Pedal Commander coming soon.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I have the Pedal Commander (PC) and a PV3 tuner on my '20 RT. The PC was my 1st add and it totally changed my ride for the better. As mentioned, it wakes up an otherwise sleepy machine and is adjustable in it's response to meet the current conditions. I added the PV3 tune which gave a little more 'punch' but killed my gas mileage when riding 'spirited' or +75mph. The PV3 can store 4 tunes but it takes about 5 minutes to re-flash. Whereas the PC sensitivity can be altered on the fly as road conditions change. I currently have the stock flash loaded and haven't felt the need to load the hot tune.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White